Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 PM

595 posts, read 2,303,663 times

Advertisements

This is a conversion in 89128. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. There are several for around 50K. I will say that when I called the Managment Company, the lady who answered was about as informative as a retard doing the shopping carts at Albertsons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:23 PM

169 posts, read 1,082,593 times
it was converted to Condos by Pacifica Companies and the HOA is Cannon Management.
Project finished in 10/05.
Granite counter tops, new cabinets, tile flooring.....ect. Units are a pretty good size.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,119,504 times
Same economics as the one at the other end...except this one is less desirable and the other one has other problems.

Either can potentially crash under the weight of defaulting owners.

You may find that a common trait of any condo where a reasonable unit can be found for $50K...that simply goes with severe financial problems and a potientially crashing HOA.

Note in any of these you get a good look at that before you buy.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:21 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,063,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Same economics as the one at the other end...except this one is less desirable and the other one has other problems.

Either can potentially crash under the weight of defaulting owners.

You may find that a common trait of any condo where a reasonable unit can be found for $50K...that simply goes with severe financial problems and a potientially crashing HOA.

Note in any of these you get a good look at that before you buy.
I'm attempting to educate myself on housing in general.

What does that mean 'potentially crash under the weight of defaulting owners'? To me, this message sounds like if you bought a 50K condo, even if you have the money for it or whatever else, you are opening yourself up to some inside risk somewhere?

Just educating myself here, what does that mean exactly?

Old 11-22-2008, 01:22 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,666,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
This is a conversion in 89128. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. There are several for around 50K. I will say that when I called the Managment Company, the lady who answered was about as informative as a retard doing the shopping carts at Albertsons.
most of the people doing the shopping carts at Albertsons are not retards, but hardworking high school students and seniors...

Old 11-22-2008, 01:41 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,921,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post

Have you ever even bothered to talk to a cart person?

Pretty cold there, guy.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:41 AM

230 posts, read 883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm attempting to educate myself on housing in general.

What does that mean 'potentially crash under the weight of defaulting owners'? To me, this message sounds like if you bought a 50K condo, even if you have the money for it or whatever else, you are opening yourself up to some inside risk somewhere?

Just educating myself here, what does that mean exactly?

I would like to see this question answered as well.....

Old 11-22-2008, 10:14 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,119,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acapr220 View Post
I would like to see this question answered as well.....
Condos in general and 2004 to 2006 conversions in particularly have a potential problem.

When the owners quit making the bank payment they also quit making the HOA payment. This can go on for over a year or more with no revenue to the HOA. When the bank does foreclose they are only liable for six months of HOA fees and may not pay that at the time. The banks may then go on with long term ownership while they try to sell the home without paying the HOA dues. They will pay off what they owe when it closes...but that can be a long time.

Older condos will generally have significant reserves that can be used as a last resort. But the newer conversions are not so equipped...so they may not have a lot of reserves to keep paying the required bills.

I would also not be surprised in any of these conversions for there to be defect lawsuits against the developer. A further cash eater.

If the place actually runs out of cash a general assessment is likely. If not then bankruptcy. The bankruptcy court might well set a general assessment.

If such a general assessment is not paid? Now we are off into the uncharted. Can one sell off the common property in a complex? Do all those that refused to pay an assessment end up in the bankruptcy? Got me...but it is not going to be pretty.

You should get a look at all this in the buying process. You get both the financial records and the reserve statement. They should tell you pretty much whether the place is in trouble or not. Note that, if they have stayed afloat by using the reserves heavily those will have to be replaced eventually...HOA increases or special assessments.

Note also the downturn has not yet run its course so it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:48 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,063,691 times
Thanks for that, Olecapt.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 PM

595 posts, read 2,303,663 times
Hey PoleCat, Is this six month rule for CC or the State of Nevada, and when did this take effect?
Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas