Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 21,104 times

Advertisements

So I've been having some.. trouble? Lol

My boyfriend and I both lost our jobs over the last few months. He hurt his back and was fired from work. They're trying to say he quit. I was "let go" because they didn't feel I "liked my job."

He's got an unemployment hiring coming up soon, and should be getting it because his employers really have no case. But my question is, how long does it take before you actually get your money from the appeal if you win?

Also, does anyone know about the eviction process here? I've never been evicted anywhere, especially not here, and because it's taken 3 months for them to schedule his unemployment appeal hiring, we've been short on money. They plan to evict us from our apartment, and aren't willing to wait until his unemployment hiring.

Any suggestions? Any idea how long we'll have to figure out what we're doing/where we're going?

Please help us, I'm kinda freaking out. >.<

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,988 times
Your local JP should be able to tell you about the eviction process. Legal Aid also has some information.

I don't know much employment law - and especially Nevada. Is it an "at will "state where employment is controlled by the employer?

There are still jobs in my part of Texas, but don't know how long that will last. Good luck- times are tough In Detroit I've been told people are living in tents - what I call "Bush Bungalows"

Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 AM

150 posts, read 636,027 times
As far as your boyfriend goes, if his back is going to keep him from working, he may not be eligible for unemployment compensation NRS: CHAPTER 612 - UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION. This is because a person has to be able to work and actively seeking a job to receive compensation.

I am not sure what you mean by unemployement hiring though. They do no hiring.

As far as eviction, have no idea. You also might want to check your contract and see what you have agreed to when you moved in.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:23 AM

169 posts, read 1,084,264 times
Sorry to hear about your situation, that really really sucks! Have you thought about going to the apartment manager or homeowner and letting them know whats going on?? Maybe they can work with you, most dont but there are still a few out there that havent been jaded. Also, in Nevada they
have probably one of the quickest eviction processes out here. They can put a notice to pay or quit on your door allowing to 5 days to pay. If you dont pay, they can evict you and have you out of that apt or house within 15 days maybe less. Have you tried to go to the day labor places, they dont pay much, but maybe you can get a little work to at least pay for your rent.
If anything, try your very hardest to get the rent paid. Alot of places in Las Vegas rent to you even with bad credit and no credit. If you get evicted or leave owing that place anything. You might as well kiss your opportunities to rent a decent place goodbye. Next stop SLUMLORDS! OR WEEKLY PLACES.....

Old 11-25-2008, 09:24 AM

Check this section for eviction information

NRS: CHAPTER 40 - ACTIONS AND PROCEEDINGS IN PARTICULAR CASES CONCERNING PROPERTY

Old 11-25-2008, 09:26 AM

We're trying to get some stuff together and pay rent, but the warned that they weer going to File the eviction today. So I don't know if they file if we can pay or not, if we can get the money.

We asked if they could wait the extra week and pay off the next 5 months of the lease, and they refused. They gave us two weeks, and that was it. It's pretty ****ty.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Rather than wait for the eviction, you may want to explain the problem and just see if they will release you from the contract. Then at least you can avoid a legal eviction and also a credit hit.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasResident View Post
I have looked at that, but I'm not entirely sure how the process works. It clairified a few things, but not the entire process. They served us with a 5 day notice that expired on the 13th or 14th. I went and talked to the apartment manager and she agreed to buy us some time. But I don't know whether or not they'll have to give us another 5 day notice (I assume that they won't have to). And I'm concerned that since we've already recieved the 5 day notice, they may try and get us out in the next few days. But I don't know how it all works.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM

169 posts, read 1,084,264 times
If you boyfriend hurt his back at work, then you would need to file workers comp.
If he hurt his back someewhere else, he could try to file for disability. Either one
takes a very long time to get any type of payoff. My dad has liver diease and it took
2yrs to get disability....You are also going to need medical records for either case and
a lawyer to file the claims for you. Lots of disability lawyers out there, that will not ask
for any money, until the case is settled. You might be waiting a very long time for any kind
of payoff, if you get anything at all.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
I'm sure you mean hearing, not hiring. If he wins the appeal, the appeals ref can release the checks to be paid right away. But only if he has continued to file weekly claims each and every week since originally opening (or re-opening) the claim. If he let that lapse then he won't be paid for anything after the missed week(s), unless he had re-opened the claim and started filing again. If he wins, the checks would probably be cut the next day. They are usually mailed the same day too, but I don't know how long the Post Office will take to get them to you.

I'm guessing they said he didn't come to work ─no call, no show─ is that right? If that is true, I'm betting he'll lose the appeal unless he can prove he called in sick. The other poster is correct about Able & Available. If he can't work he can't get unemployment. But if it's just that particular job he can't do, and he can do some other work, he can collect. Or maybe he just had temporary back pain and needed some sick time.

Nevada doesn't have disability. All states do have SSI though.

Don't know much about evictions, but I think it takes a while. Have you tried finding one that will take you without references? Have you tried temp agencies for work? Did you file for unemployment yourself? It doesn't sound like they fired you for cause, and if that's true you might be eligible yourself.

BTW: I'm retired from ESD. My wife says I should charge for these consultations. I reminded her that unemployed people don't have any money. It's why lawyers aren't hanging around the unemployment office handing out cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas