Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:36 AM

12 posts, read 57,612 times

Advertisements

I need to make a list of streets with name changes--- or hints that will help newly relocated people get around in Vegas.

So far i have:
-Roadway nicknames
~ “Beltway” = “I-215
~“Spaghetti Bowl” =Us95/I-15
~“Rainbow curve” = US95 meets Summerlin Parkway
~“Trop” = Tropicana Blvd.
~ “D.I.” = Desert Inn
~ “MLK” = Martin Luther King
~ “The Strip” = Las Vegas Blvd.

If anyone could help with confusing streets, I would appeciate it.
- Like Durango becomes Rampart then Ft. Apache
- Rancho and Decatur
Etc.

Then I would like tips - like "Use DI to cross town and avoid the strip"

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 11:51 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Jeez! you sound like a traffic reporter!

--'rocco

Old 02-26-2007, 07:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
There is the whole Pecos FIASCO!!! St. Rose Parkway --> Pecos ---> Pecos/McLeod Interconnector (with Pecos running parallel to it) --> McLeod ---> St. Louis --> Palm --> Pecos (also running parallel with another Pecos) --> Mitchell --> Lone Mountain, then north of I-15, Lone Mountain turns into Pecos. I love riding the Pecos bus, its always fun to see the drivers confused because the route has so many turns and name confusions.

I also call Las Vegas Boulevard "The Boulevard" and Maryland Parkway "The Parkway"

Maryland turns into Bruce. Eastern turns into Civic Center and 25th Street turns into Eastern. Green Valley Parkway turns into Patrick. Sunset intersects Sunset and then turns into Mountain Vista. Gibson --> Broadbent --> something else, Windmill does a Decatur thing at Green Valley Parkway because of the wash. Mojave turns into Twain, Mojave also ends at a car dealership and Twain turns into Spencer. I think Viking turns into Algonquin.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:26 AM

12 posts, read 57,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Jeez! you sound like a traffic reporter!

--'rocco

LOL- not on my list of "to do" jobs.

Thanks lvkewlkid I had forgotten about pecos. And the others I didn't know about.

Keep them coming!

I remember shortly after I moved here I was supposed to meet my MIL at an address on Las Vegas Boulevard. She asked me if I needed directions- and I said no, I know where the street is and can find the address. Well it didn't occur to me there would be a "Vegas" drive and a "Las Vegas". So I went back and forth of Vegas trying to find a non existant restaraunt. Thank heaven for cell phones.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:11 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
My favorite is discontinuous roads. There are lots of examples...

Tomsik is a side street that lies between Cimarron and Durango. There are a half dozen different segments none of which interconnect. The word here of course is to get to your destination by section line roads until the number is close. Than go to the minor road.

Does not always work though...the Durango at Charleston and the Durango at Alexander do not connect. You basically have to cut west from the southern Durango to Rampart to get to the Northern Durango. And for those who really like to deal with this the Durango at 215 (north) actually aligns with El Capitan. El Capitan of course crosses Durango at this point which is even stranger if you think about it.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:09 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
They changed this, but a while ago, Eastern, Maryland Parkway, and Green Valley Parkway intersected at one spot. Now the intersection is Eastern/Sunridge Heights Parkway because of the confusion. Reno is another street that disappears as well.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:41 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
One of my favorite ones:
MLK turns into Camino al norte at Ann road. Which turns into Camino El dorado by the park at Tropical Parkway. Which turns into Centennial Parkway further up. And it eventually dead ends past Allen, but reappears again over by Ann Rd/95.

Exit the 215 in Aliante to the south. Go to Deer Springs which is the first and only light in Aliante and turn right. It stops at Aviary way(Allen.) Go north on Aviary way, and then left (west)at the stop sign which is Deer Springs again. I assume it continues as Deer Springs past Decatur, but the way this city is laid out, who knows. I do know it also reappears somewhere between Aliante and Centennial hills, north of the 215 but closer to Centennial hills. I know because i picked up a table from a woman out there, horse country and Deer Springs was one of the streets we used way over there. Talk about confusing!!
When i was first walking in this area, when i crossed the overpass and found Deer Springs again, im going "What the hell?" lol

You really have to know your way around the Vegas Valley in order to survive the road changes. Some of them are really weird. And i think more than half the people driving on the roads that drive erratically are just lost and confused trying to find their way around.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:51 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Deersprings just opened at Durango in Centennial Hills. Deersprings has been in there in pieces for a while...but it was gravel or two lane. Now it is an official Blvd.

Watch word..be very careful about buying property on a section line. They can go from gravel or two lanes to 6 lane boulevards in a couple of years. That is what happened to lots of folk on Durango and Buffalo in the NW...They bought on quiet country lanes and now live on 6 lane boulevards.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,175 times
I used to live in Reno Nevada in 1960 a street called Lemon Lane off between Plumb lane and Cazza please tell me what the street name was changed to thank you Dennis from Las Vegas

Old 05-07-2015, 07:17 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
DI turns into Lamb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas