Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:03 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
No problem here. I am just speaking from my own experiences and first hand stories from those that live in the. I am glad that you have not had an issue, but when someone asks a question I will answer truthfully what I know. I am sure if you ask members of Metro's NE Area Command they would agree that that is a high crime area with a increasing gang problem. I give kudos to Metro for being proactive in your area, and helping to keep your area safe.
the Review Journal just stated in today's newspaper in Nevada and the West that crime in that area has dropped dramatically, they even quote percentages as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
the Review Journal just stated in today's newspaper in Nevada and the West that crime in that area has dropped dramatically, they even quote percentages as well...
As it has in the whole Vegas basin. And crime is down substantially from 20 years ago. So what? Still worse in the NE than the NW or Sumerlin.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:46 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
As it has in the whole Vegas basin. And crime is down substantially from 20 years ago. So what? Still worse in the NE than the NW or Sumerlin.
Agree.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
I thought the West side was the worst place in Vegas? The letter streets? Those streets are no where near the base right?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I thought the West side was the worst place in Vegas? The letter streets? Those streets are no where near the base right?

Actual the code name is "west las vegas". It is the traditional black area...now also somewhat hispanic.

There are worse areas - east Fremont or the area to the north of UNLV. Bad crime in Las Vegas is driven more by drugs than by ethnicity.

The areas near the base are a little rough but not that kind of rough. Note that even the bad areas don't hold a candle to a good rust belt slum.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 PM

the West side is the worst, the letter streets aren't close to the base...it is actually called "West Las Vegas" so people don't confuse it with Spring Valley, Summerlin, and the NW, but the people that live there call it the "West Side"...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:50 AM

762 posts, read 1,561,864 times
Default I'm a hazard to myself

I ended up buying in 89107. It looks like a nice area, any opinions?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 AM

it depends, what part?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:26 PM

39 posts, read 129,986 times
I live in 89130. It was a very nice area. Especially when we bought out here in 03. Sadly, now many of the homes are vacant and in forclosure. Big beautiful homes too. We have had a few break-ins as well at the vacant homes. People stealing anything they can get their hands on. That's just all form the market going bad. There are some good deals to be had. I would suggest being north of the 215 and west of Decatur. some really nice homes out that way. New schools too.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:30 PM

90 posts, read 316,742 times
We lived in 89130 when we were there 2002-2005. Our neighborhood was nice, and even though it was non-gated, I always felt safe. The only crime I was ever aware of was a car theft (the owners left the keys in it in an open garage). Things may be different now with the economy so bad, but it was a decent area. My impression of crime in LV overall is that it was mostly petty theft, auto theft, and drug-related and domestic violence. i.e, if you aren't engaged in drug activity - the most you need to worry about is theft and if you are sensible about common personal security practices even that threat can be minimized. All of the shootings I ever heard about in the news when I was there seemed to be drug-related (i.e. even the victims were up to no good and put themselves in a dangerous position). That said, it is nice to live in a neighborhood where illegal activity in general is minimized which is why many of the posters recommend NW/Henderson/Spring Valley/Summerlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas