Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:35 PM

799 posts, read 708,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfarm View Post
To be honest all the teachers teach the same books and general lesson plan. The "best" part starts at home. Successful parents that demand results get results. So, whatever school will be fine. Crucially important is how kids at these schools speak and sound. As someone who has hired 100s of people in my career, you cannot overcome "ghetto" speech in an interview later in life. The schooling really plays less of a part. Make sure they can write, read and do math and the rest will solve itself based on the ambition of your child.
Yep..certainly there are "bad" teachers, I can certainly remember having my share of them when I was in school. BUT, my parents did not let me use that as an excuse, and still required me to get good grades, even if <gasp> they had to help me. In turn, I set the same expectations for my kids. They all turned out as fine, law abiding, hard working citizens, successful in what they've chosen to do with their lives. And I'm watching those that chose to have children do the same thing with them.

It fits in today's "blame someone else for my failures" society to simply blame poor performance on "bad schools", when in essence, most of it is simply "bad parenting". If every parent took a "I don't care what the other kids do, YOU'RE doing this" attitude, all of the schools would be much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 641 times
Well I’m new to Vegas and I have two children who attend Becker middle. I was considering Rogich while finding a place to live and based on the attitudes I received I wouldn’t dare send my children. And the top comment about “upper white middle class disgust me”. I love Becker and I pray my family never come across people with the mindset of color, and class. School is school, kids are kids. I’m a proud highly educated African American woman and pray for such ignorance.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:43 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,348 times
I have heard that Rogich is better but Becker is not even close to "bad". I believe Rogich's infrastructure was slightly better, but they are both pretty close.

Cimmarron acts as a central hub for CCSDs IT infrastructure, so technology access should be very good at this school. Technology is a huge part of education these days, so I would not dismiss this.

One thing I would point out is that many of the schools that were built before the late 90's weren't designed with technology infrastructure in mind at all. This has a direct affect on the overall quality of the services that can be provided. If you are considering older schools in the district, you may want to look into whether or not these schools have had a "full rehab" done(ie. recently renovated). If there are still tons of portables on site, this is probably a bad sign.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:33 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
This is an old thread but Rogich is better as far as test results go. I tried to get my daughter enrolled there, but it was full.
I put her in Becker. She loves the school and is doing great.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
There are a dozen middle schools which are fine and close enough that there is no discernable difference.

You can even think about getting your kid into a magnet and then into Clark which is probably the best course for a really smart kid whose family cannot afford Meadows.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:46 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There are a dozen middle schools which are fine and close enough that there is no discernable difference.

You can even think about getting your kid into a magnet and then into Clark which is probably the best course for a really smart kid whose family cannot afford Meadows.
My daughter is zoned for Johnson, no way was I sending her there. Also, while magnet schools are fine you have to hope they get in and if they do, you must have reliable transportation to and from if the school is out of area. My daughter was at Piggott and was under magnet program for 4/5 grade. The progam was no good and most of the teachers are lazy/uninvolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas