Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM

327 posts, read 446,260 times

Advertisements

I guess I'll just keep checking the calendar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:21 AM

46 posts, read 101,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnyc View Post
We're halfway through our three year lease and the landlord has just told us he's attempting a short sale.

His RE agent told us we were lucky he told us, we'll get someplace else easily, blah blah. She also asked for a key and when she starts bringing people, could we handle a hour's notice?

He has our $2,000 deposit. I told him I'd like to apply it (I know it's against the law.) He said no, and while he'd let us go when we want, he'd appreciate us staying until it sells or is foreclosed on because he needs the money

I have heard of people demanding a rent reduction for showing a house, refusing to show it (no clause in our lease requiring we do it) or not paying the rent at all. I would love to hear anyone's experience in these situations.

Also, I haven't been able to find details on the upcoming proposed legislation on renters' rights. Can anyone inform me or point me toward info?

We can deal with this. But we're P.O.'d at his utter lack of regard for us and what this will cost us. He did say we are "excellent renters". (Gee, thanks.)

Added complication - despite my repeatedly asking for it, we do not have a signed (by him) copy of our lease. I have multiple e-mails between us that show there has been a landlord-tenant relationship, however.
he may want to short sale because he is not making any money off the proerty because it is definatly a renters market. even after you pay up he could still be paying out....you should tell him that there are other alternative to short sale that will allow for him to keep the property and you to stay AND for him to start making a profit from the investment property again. some people do not know that their are other ways or belive they are not quilified. i can give you a number to a non profit organization i know of that can give him FREE advice on his options so he can make an educated decision

Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 AM

46 posts, read 87,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmere View Post
he may want to short sale because he is not making any money off the proerty because it is definatly a renters market. even after you pay up he could still be paying out....you should tell him that there are other alternative to short sale that will allow for him to keep the property and you to stay AND for him to start making a profit from the investment property again. some people do not know that their are other ways or belive they are not quilified. i can give you a number to a non profit organization i know of that can give him FREE advice on his options so he can make an educated decision
Do you happen to have any affiliation with this 'non profit'? All of your posts are on the same single topic and it's starting to smell like spam.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM

46 posts, read 101,190 times
if you consider a recomendation an affilation. i have been to several free homeowner work shops and seen alot of the scam comps. all i am doing is sharing knowledge i have earned from taking the time to educate myself.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Default Still here - 39 days left to go...

Haven't heard a word from the LL since August. I don't think he cares. Our lease is up June 30.

Recap - bank that held the mortgage went belly up and the FDIC took it over. The FDIC sale date is now June 2. I suppose we'd hear from whoever buys the mortgage shortly thereafter, but we're leaning toward being gone by then. I'm a little tempted to ride it out till the end, as we're not paying anything, but I'd probably worry more than it's worth

Old 05-22-2010, 06:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnyc View Post
Haven't heard a word from the LL since August. I don't think he cares. Our lease is up June 30.

Recap - bank that held the mortgage went belly up and the FDIC took it over. The FDIC sale date is now June 2. I suppose we'd hear from whoever buys the mortgage shortly thereafter, but we're leaning toward being gone by then. I'm a little tempted to ride it out till the end, as we're not paying anything, but I'd probably worry more than it's worth
Hang in there. You probably have at least 3 and probably 6 months and then someone will give your $5000 for your keys. Anyone asks for rent make sure they own it then pay. Note that your lease carries over until you or the other side gives notice.

It is also better for the buyer if the place is occupied and maintained. So don't feel guilty...enjoy.

Every once in a while there is a pony in the pile...

Old 05-23-2010, 08:37 AM

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Hang in there. You probably have at least 3 and probably 6 months and then someone will give your $5000 for your keys. Anyone asks for rent make sure they own it then pay. Note that your lease carries over until you or the other side gives notice.

It is also better for the buyer if the place is occupied and maintained. So don't feel guilty...enjoy.

Every once in a while there is a pony in the pile...
This has been the weirdest situation.

Even after everything I've read to the contrary, my brother showing up yesterday and screaming "They give you five minutes to get out! It happened to someone I work with yesterday!" still unnerved me. (He's good at that.)

We saw a house for rent yesterday which was almost perfect for us (at a substantially higher rent than we were paying) but, even if we're picked, we may just pass on it, sit tight and see what happens. I just worry no suitable place will be available when we are.

I'm not complaining I grew up in NYC where apartments very always tough to find, and I can't shake that anxiety you always had regarding the next rental. It was insane - people really did check the funeral listings to find a place

Thanks, olecapt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas