Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 9,175 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving to Las Vegas in 3-4 months. I'm going to be teaching in a public school. I'm not sure which one at this time...so location of the school COULD play a role in what part of the area I want to live in.

ANYWAY, I am looking for an apartment that is "unique". I'm not even looking for anything in particular...I just know that I am NOT looking for something that has cream-colored carpets, white walls and just that generic feel (no offense to those living in these types of arrangements...I just really can't do it).

Something that is "vintage", contemporary in an original sense, colorful, etc...any of that would be great to take a look at. EVERYTHING that I have found thus far is just not what I am looking for.

I am looking for a 1-2 bedroom that is is the $700-$1200 range.

Thanks so much,

Brandi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 AM

253 posts, read 1,328,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiLou View Post
I just know that I am NOT looking for something that has cream-colored carpets, white walls and just that generic feel...
Good luck. Apartment complexes decorate that way because those colors accentuate the cheap furniture brought in by the vast majority of renters.

If you want something interesting, I'd look to try to rent a condo from a private owner, instead. But it may cost you somewhat more.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,440,610 times
Agreed with you Randal...the apt complexes are decorated in those neutral tones because they appeal to everyone and go with everyone's decor.

I'd look at perhaps some downtown, older apartment complexes...just be careful though, some of them might not be in the most safe areas...

Beige carpet, swiss almond wall color, natural light oak cabinets, and white tiled countertops are the way of the world in Las Vegas....

Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,052,916 times
Quote:
Hello,

I'm moving to Las Vegas in 3-4 months. I'm going to be teaching in a public school. I'm not sure which one at this time...so location of the school COULD play a role in what part of the area I want to live in.

ANYWAY, I am looking for an apartment that is "unique". I'm not even looking for anything in particular...I just know that I am NOT looking for something that has cream-colored carpets, white walls and just that generic feel (no offense to those living in these types of arrangements...I just really can't do it).

Something that is "vintage", contemporary in an original sense, colorful, etc...any of that would be great to take a look at. EVERYTHING that I have found thus far is just not what I am looking for.

Thanks so much,

Brandi
Wait until you know where you are teaching and then work the condos in that section of town. Your price range will not cut the top places but you can likely find a reasonable condo with an adequate decorating job in any quadrant.

You will not find happiness in any of the apartment complexes. They don't do that sort of decorating.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 PM

16 posts, read 76,998 times
I agree with the not finding happiness in apartment complexes bit whole-heartedly. In a condo in the NW now but when we were first looking, Brandy, we ventured into the downtown area to see Newport Lofts and its neighbor whose name I can't remember. We too had hopes of something different. I think you can get a loft for $1200. Awesome loft, but the area is shady, I'd say. Well, at least, WE didn't feel comfortable there. There are new lofts that are in a better area but maybe to big for one person, X-it Lofts in SE from Rhodes Ranch. I have no idea what rent is like there. Selling for 250k when first built, I believe. There are more in NW (C2 lofts) that seem more luxurious and expensive, though. Not necessarily vintage but very modern and aesthetically pleasing compared to ALL other apartments/condos we've seen. It'd be important to see which part of time you'll be working in first. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 PM

16 posts, read 76,998 times
I meant "town" not time! oops.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 PM

252 posts, read 903,374 times
For "unique" or vintage, you'd do best looking to rent a house in the downtown area. The one I live in and others in the area are in your stated price range. Lots of cute places for rent in the Huntridge/Marycrest neighborhoods, usually by the owner and not a property mgmt company. (Caveat: although I have never had concerns/problems, the downtown area is not considered one of the safer parts of town.)

Also, when I was looking to move here (~9-10 months ago), there were ads on Craigslist for furnished Vintage houses to rent. They guys who were renting these places had a few around town (don't remember where), but they were very very cute, borderline campy '50s decor, but in a good way. You might want to search CL for places like that.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,150,495 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks so much,

Brandi

What about L'Occitane on LV Blvd. and Gass?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 PM

52 posts, read 212,406 times
What about a high rise condo?

Have someone like this guy send you some rentals.
Family Home for Rent (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/apa/995686160.html - broken link)

Old 01-18-2009, 01:40 PM

15 posts, read 80,339 times
We're getting ready to move to Vegas and we saw these and we liked them because they were different and a little abstract, but we really liked them.. we just really didn't know the area very well.. It could be a fine area, but we ended up going to another place before even getting to check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas