Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by george1208 View Post
Just a thought, but isn't this a naturally slow time of year anyway?
Yes,,,but don't squeal...you will make the crepe hangers very uncomfortable.

Phoenix does better in the winter than Vegas. And for cause. But come March...here it comes. And by June and the crazy heat...they are all over the place.

Love those tourists...

To a first approximation Las Vegas Real Estate sales correlates with the heat. Minimum in December January...maximum in June/July...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 06:25 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george1208 View Post
Just a thought, but isn't this a naturally slow time of year anyway?
There was a 10% YoY decline in visitor volume this November. I don't know if the December data is out yet. Maybe this November was 10% colder than last year's.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
There was a 10% YoY decline in visitor volume this November. I don't know if the December data is out yet. Maybe this November was 10% colder than last year's.
Comeon Tony. We are not ignoring the problem. What we and Las Vegas do is to try and minimize the impact. It may well hit 25% yoy. But we scramble and try and make sure it does not get to 30%.

It is good for the soul. Washes out the weak sisters and helps one develop that which people value.

Up the hill quickly...before the heathens get us...

Old 01-17-2009, 07:49 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is good for the soul. Washes out the weak sisters and helps one develop that which people value.

Up the hill quickly...before the heathens get us...
Capt., what first came to mind after reading your post was a piece of a quote attributed to a German lieutenant during the battle for Stalingrad -
Quote:
"Stalingrad is no longer a town. By day it is an enormous cloud of burning, blinding smoke; it is a vast furnace lit by the reflection of the flames. And when night arrives, one of those scorching, howling, bleeding nights, the dogs plunge into the Volga and swim desperately to gain the other bank. The nights of Stalingrad are a terror for them. Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones can not bear it for long; only men endure."
In the worst of times, Vegas is no Stalingrad. But yes, in trying times the strong will endure.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Capt., what first came to mind after reading your post was a piece of a quote attributed to a German lieutenant during the battle for Stalingrad - In the worst of times, Vegas is no Stalingrad. But yes, in trying times the strong will endure.
Hey thanks Tony..People sometimes claim I gild the lily.

You put it in perspective.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:02 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
Quote:
Not much insight there.
Oh, sorry your majesty. Yeah, I guess TIME is not very reputable. We'll just keep taking your word on everything.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
Oh, sorry your majesty. Yeah, I guess TIME is not very reputable. We'll just keep taking your word on everything.
Please get off my case.

The Times article was a regurgitation of any number of facts that have been touched on in these threads, in the RJ and Sun and lots of other places.

I don't think there was a single origninal fact in the article.

What would you have me say? Time is smart enough to repeat every hackneyed report on Las Vegas for the last six months?

My stuff is local and generally fresh. I cannot get to the depth of Time but I can easily out report them locally.

So If you don't care for my scribblings don't read them. But don't expect hand stands when Time summarizes the obvious.

Last edited by olecapt; 01-18-2009 at 08:46 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
Quote:

Please get off my case.

If you don't care for my scribblings don't read them.
I am asking for the same.

No one likes a know it all.

You have your perspective and I have mine.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 88,330 times
Yes, Yes, Yes.
The important question you're all avoiding is this: "Is the 99 cent shrimp cocktail coming back to the strip??"
Well?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 PM

239 posts, read 642,248 times
They used to have 49 cent shrimp cocktails at the Lakeside Inn, Lake Tahoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas