Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 PM

42 posts, read 128,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
rule of thumb.... west of 15, north of craig
I disagree. I have lived near Hollywood BL and Lake Mead BL which's on the Northeast side for a few years now. This doesn't fall within the west Of Interstate 15, North Of Craig RD parameters at all. In fact, you're leaving a humungous chunk of Las Vegas alone if those are the borders. The area around there doesn't have bad crime. It's not perfect but it's not a hot zone either as many Las vegans who are unfamiliar with the area will lead you to believe. I'm just 10 minutes away from the beaches and marinas of Lake Mead. I'm at the base of Sunrise Mountain and it's so gorgeous and so close I can almost reach out and touch it. Views of the Valley especially the Strip are from my patio. Across the way is a shopping plaza with most of my necessities represented there. The landscaping's well kept. I rarely come across anyone mean to me or graffiti. I really don't see the big deal. Las Vegans don't know what real crime is. I grew up in Chicago and there's some neighborhoods not all that would fit a hot zone. The fear of the unknown prevails as opposed to actuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:00 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,660,142 times
yes, you live in a nice area, i definitely agree, the bad areas of las vegas are definitely not as bad as bad areas in other cities...IMO, the east side is the best part of vegas...

a lot of people here are just fixated on the NW, Summerlin, and Aliante, of course sometimes I am a little fixated on where i live too...

Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,905,308 times
is just the same as most people believe that north las vegas is terrible, and that is where aliante is situated.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,097,810 times
That whole set 89156,89110, 89142 and 89122 are all OK if you know the area. And it varies very widely. I describe it as requiring local knowledge.

Be careful of the schools as well.

We had one poster who lived in Eagle Trace and considered it livable. Note though that the surrounding area can be difficult. You need strong urban caution. Again watch the schools.

Alexander and MLK is reasonably nice but it is in audio range of gun fire. You will hear it on occasion from the south. Rarely have any direct troubles in the apartment but MLK can be trying there and particularly south of there.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:11 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,660,142 times
wouldn't you have to be further near Carey to hear the gunfire?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,770,118 times
I would not live on Lake Mead between Nellis and Hollywood if the rent was free. Since 2001 I have seen that area go down fast. I have a friend that lives near Owens and Hollywood a little better but not much. I would drive down Lake Mead from Nellis Blvd and see police activity nightly. Other friends that live within a 2 mile radius of that area have moved out of the area or are trying too.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,161 times
OK so now after reading this forum I am scared to death about moving to Nellis AF Base this summer LOL! Someone keeps saying watch out for the schools. Does anyone know anything about Carol Johnston school?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,770,118 times
Carol Johnston is the school were middle school students get bused to that live inside Nellis AFB. It is a relatively new school and I would save an average Clark County school. Should be no issues that are not normal for middle school students.

Living inside of Nellis AFB is no issue at all.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,097,810 times
Carrol Johnson is 43 out of 59 middle schools. It has a high transient populaton and a pretty heavy amount of violence.

It is a tough school with problems.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,125,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That whole set 89156,89110, 89142 and 89122 are all OK if you know the area. And it varies very widely. I describe it as requiring local knowledge.

Be careful of the schools as well.

We had one poster who lived in Eagle Trace and considered it livable. Note though that the surrounding area can be difficult. You need strong urban caution. Again watch the schools.

Alexander and MLK is reasonably nice but it is in audio range of gun fire. You will hear it on occasion from the south. Rarely have any direct troubles in the apartment but MLK can be trying there and particularly south of there.
I like the way you put that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas