Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 29,373 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.
I'm coming to Vegas Feb. 28th - March 4th. During that time i'll have business during the day at the PIEA/PMA convention but at nights I'm on my own.
I was wondering what's the MUST DO's while there?
Some more information about me. I'll be staying at The Embassy Suites. I'm 22 and I'd like to get off the strip some as i've been to vegas once before and seen the strip. My budget is a medium budget.
Thanks in advance!
Grahamebs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers, but it kind of depends on whether you will be able to get away from the convention in daylight hours, and if you're renting a car. Also the convention has some activities scheduled for evenings that you might want to attend too. On Monday is an all day photo safari to Zion National Park. That might the highlight of the show. So if you can make it, you won't regret it. Zion is one of the most beautiful places in the U.S. and it's only a 3 - 3½ hour drive, which is a beautiful trip in itself, especially where I-15 goes through the Virgin River Gorge.

PMA 09 Event Schedule

Old 01-24-2009, 02:44 PM

I totally wish that I could go on the Zion safari but my professor has decided that instead of going on the safari we're gonna rent a van one day and go to either Death Valley or somewhere else.. not really sure. I think all the convention events that i'm suppose to be at end around 5:30 or 7.
Will you be attending?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:17 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Death Valley is a great day trip.....but a long day trip.....Go in thru the South end and out the North and take plenty of batteries along....or tons of film if you are film oriented.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:24 PM

I'll definitely be bringing tons of film! Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-24-2009, 03:37 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
film???

Old 01-24-2009, 04:02 PM

Yes film. I specialize in Holga and pinhole photography.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamebs View Post
I totally wish that I could go on the Zion safari but my professor has decided that instead of going on the safari we're gonna rent a van one day and go to either Death Valley or somewhere else.. not really sure. I think all the convention events that i'm suppose to be at end around 5:30 or 7.
Will you be attending?
No I won't be attending. I just looked it up so I could answer your question. Death Valley will be a good trip. Incredibly photogenic. Take some B/W film too. The stark nature of DV calls for B/W as well as color. Actually if you have a choice of one or the other, I'd opt for B/W.

As for what to do off the Strip, it might be too late in the evening to do the scenic things. Although you could get in a trip to Red Rock Canyon as it's not far. And you could drive up to the lodge at Mt. Charleston for dinner and the great views there if you can get there before dark. Maybe even a short hike at either place. You could have dinner at Bonnie Springs after driving through Red Rock Canyon. You might even get there in time to do a horse back ride. Most of the non gaming entertainment that is open in the evenings will be on the Strip though. There's the Shark Reef aquarium at Mandalay Bay that's pretty good. The Secret Garden of Siegfried and Roy might not be open that late but you should check it out. The Follies Bergere is closing after 49 years, so it would be worth while to see it before it does. It's still one of the best shows and one of the best bargains in town, and it has historical value as one of the longest running shows in the world, having started in Paris way back when. A visit to the top of the Stratosphere Tower is worthwhile. The Fremont Street Experience is good. If you could get away during the day the tour of Hoover Dam is interesting, and you could take a drive up the north shore road at Lake Mead. It's all vbery photogenic. You could always go out to the District at Green Valley Ranch and walk around. They frequently have street entertainment, and the shops are nice. It's pleasant. So is Town Square.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 PM

These are some excellent ideas! Thank you so much!
As for my background in film I specialize in Black and White processes with 120 mm film, Holga and the like. I'm glad to hear that many of these places are extremely photogenic. It'll be good for me to concentrate on nature verses city landscapes that I'm a costumed to doing. Thanks Buzz 123!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamebs View Post
These are some excellent ideas! Thank you so much!
As for my background in film I specialize in Black and White processes with 120 mm film, Holga and the like. I'm glad to hear that many of these places are extremely photogenic. It'll be good for me to concentrate on nature verses city landscapes that I'm a costumed to doing. Thanks Buzz 123!
When I was a little kid I had two little plastic cameras that cost $1.00 each and used 120 film. I took them on a trip to Washington, DC, and was amazed at the pictures I got, especially from the top of the Washington Monument. I doubt if they were the same as the Holga but must have been similar.

In pinhole photography do you actually use a cardboard box? I had a friend who was into that. He had a neat picture of downtown Las Vegas taken by attaching the box to the wheel of his car and driving down Fremont Street at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas