Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 PM

25 posts, read 160,745 times
My family and i are moving to Vegas, and i was wondering what kind of diversity there is in the area? my family and i live in san francisco, and there was lots of diversity there and thats one of the many reasons we loved it there. When we decided to move, we tried central oregon but realized one, jobs dont pay as well as the bay area, and two, that the people there were finding it hard to accept the rising latino population (our family being part of that). Since we knew we were better than the racist trash that didn't want us there, we left them and came back. Now we are deciding to move to Vegas, and just wanted to come here first and ask how the white population take in the diversity (all races and cultures, not just latinos)in your part of the world? is it accepted and embraced like it is here in the Bay Area? even if it isn't, how bad is it? thanks for any help and info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 02:18 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,223,906 times
I don't know how it is in the Bay Area, so don't know how to compare. But generally, although the white population here is not a minority, we no longer represent more than 50% as I understand it. Las Vegas has a very diverse population. The Hispanic population is something like 24 or 25%. I think blacks make up about 8 to 10% which I believe is about the same as the total US figure. The Asian population is very high, enough to build a China Town which actually represents all the Asian countries, and there are what seems like unusually large numbers of Asian restaurants all over town. There are a lot of Africans, many of which came from Ethiopia, and I feel working with the public that I've met people from every other country in the world. Now how well we all tolerate each other is hard to say. I hear a lot of racist remarks from all sides, but I see a lot of different groups getting along just fine. Although I notice that the different ethnic groups tend to band together.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:12 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,647,977 times
most diverse ppl on the bus get along with each other, i've never had a problem because of race

Old 05-25-2007, 07:14 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,052,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I don't know how it is in the Bay Area, so don't know how to compare. But generally, although the white population here is not a minority, we no longer represent more than 50% as I understand it. Las Vegas has a very diverse population. The Hispanic population is something like 24 or 25%. I think blacks make up about 8 to 10% which I believe is about the same as the total US figure. The Asian population is very high, enough to build a China Town which actually represents all the Asian countries, and there are what seems like unusually large numbers of Asian restaurants all over town. There are a lot of Africans, many of which came from Ethiopia, and I feel working with the public that I've met people from every other country in the world. Now how well we all tolerate each other is hard to say. I hear a lot of racist remarks from all sides, but I see a lot of different groups getting along just fine. Although I notice that the different ethnic groups tend to band together.
Rougly 78% white. 10% black 6% asian. Hispanic is about 26%. (All US Census 2005) So still well into the majority white category. Hispanics do reasonably well here. Integrated into the population. Dominate the construction industry. The illegal aliens are of course embedded in that population and cause some carrying on by the conservative wing.

Mostly though we all get along pretty well. Kind of place where everybody came from somewhere else...

Old 05-25-2007, 07:24 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Rougly 78% white. 10% black 6% asian. Hispanic is about 26%. (All US Census 2005)
Wow, that's 120%. Something's amiss.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Wow, that's 120%. Something's amiss.
Nope. Hispanics are mostly white. Hispanic is an origin ... not a race.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:55 PM

I thought we were talking about ethnicities.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I thought we were talking about ethnicities.
Uhh ethnicities? Define your term. I got a black spanish speaker born in Hawaii...what is his ethnicity?

My brother speaks Spanish as well as he speaks English. He makes his living speaking Spanish...his ethnicity? Different than mine?

My children are half Italian born in the US. Is their ethnicity different than mine?

The feds keep the numbers and deal with race and national origins. You got a better approach?

Old 05-25-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Uhh ethnicities? Define your term. I got a black spanish speaker born in Hawaii...what is his ethnicity?

My brother speaks Spanish as well as he speaks English. He makes his living speaking Spanish...his ethnicity? Different than mine?

My children are half Italian born in the US. Is their ethnicity different than mine?

The feds keep the numbers and deal with race and national origins. You got a better approach?
Uhhh, I think maybe you're overreacting to what I said.

Ethnicity: of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background.

If we aren't talking about ethnicity, what's the point in pointing out the percentage of Hispanics within the white race?

Old 05-25-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Uhhh, I think maybe you're overreacting to what I said.

Ethnicity: of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background.

If we aren't talking about ethnicity, what's the point in pointing out the percentage of Hispanics within the white race?
I didn't...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas