Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
I am so, so, sorry. rr--rr--rr, and apologize for my spelling. However, metro LV clearly provides a locale for, what; who? If the rankings are so poor, why have so many relocated to LV metro in recent years?
Don't apologize to that other poster (lvlover).. they're being rude and a smart ass.
I see *much* worse spelling than your one little word all the time in these forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
Thanks for posting these links. I have no desire to post links showing these, and many more polls showing LV metro as lacking in so many areas.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Sheriff....welcome back....did they let you out on parole again????? you always manage to liven things up here...

I agree....before we attract a lot of brain, we need industry that will require brain....how far down the road that is, is anybodys guess.....
I believe LV has made numerous offers to the likes of Microsoft, Cleveland Clinic, Oracle, etc, etc with very lucrative incentives----no takers. While other parts of NV have mining, geology, and the like, LV is, and will continue to be "service".

Old 02-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
I think that people that do move to Vegas may tend to be some of the folks that have decided to make a living without a college education. I must say though, last time I was there, the majority of the service staff that I had spoken with, had degrees but funny that most seemed to be from the Upper Midwest.
If Las Vegas were to become for education focused, they would have to bring in the companies, businesses, etc... where they could use that education in thier job.
Sheriff - Do you think that the lower paying service industry jobs, layoffs, immigrant employment (both legal and illegal) are some of the primary reasons for the original posting? If mom and dad both work, one makes 10 per hour (20K per year) and one makes 15 per hour (30K) per year, while you can maintain a decent household, it doesn't leave a whole lot of time to help the kids with homework and keep an eye on them 24/7.
I have the utmost respect for any hard working family, but sure seems over the past 10-20 years, this has allowed kids to change, grow up faster, put in bad situations - which ultimately leads to bad decisions. Just a thought.
Hard working, degree, no degree, not the point of my post. We have all seen that LV metro is indeed at, or near the bottom of most every poll. With so many moving to LV in recent years, could it be that life in LV is indeed better than the studies would indicate; or does LV attract new residents not concerned with quality of life?

Old 02-01-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Sure, you can get every vice, but I want a couple of specific virtues. Can't there be at least one library or bookstore that's open 24/7?!
This is the point of this thread. The majority in LV metro clearly seems to have desires other than what some view as "substancial". Should LV be renamed from "sin city", to "dim city"?

Last edited by sheriff; 02-01-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 PM

72 posts, read 353,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
This is the point of this thread. The majority in LV metro clearly seems to have desires other than what some view as "sustancial". Should LV be renamed from "sin city", to "dim city"?
What on earth is "sustancial"?

I am not even sure what it is you misspelled.

How can one write a posting about "dim city" while unable to meet
basic spelling requirements.

Would appear the problem is the quality of the critics.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 PM

72 posts, read 353,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Don't apologize to that other poster (lvlover).. they're being rude and a smart ass.
I see *much* worse spelling than your one little word all the time in these forums.
Think about it. The message is clear.

Misspellings happen. But to begin a thread that LV is dumb with a misspelling is even dumber. And in the head.

It testifies mightily to the scholarship of which the author is capable.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlover View Post
What on earth is "sustancial"?

I am not even sure what it is you misspelled.

How can one write a posting about "dim city" while unable to meet
basic spelling requirements.

Would appear the problem is the quality of the critics.
Forgive me, I am a "Biden". I meant to write "substancial", or something of depth. And please, I am NO critic of LV metro, and only ask why so many entities list LV as substandard, while so many move here. Could @ 2mil be wrong, or is living in LV metro underrated?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
I just read most of these articles.

The homeless one...I just looked at the rankings, and Vegas is #1, and SF is #2. Having lived in SF, and seeing legions of homeless everywhere and the multitudes of programs all over the place encouraging more and more homeless to go there for benefits..makes me seriously question why SF is #2 for meanest/worth in the nation, etc. If I knew that, then it would be interesting how Vegas got #1. Just seems very strange.

Low in healthcare isn't a surprise. Healthcare is tied specifically to empoyers. States with more large corporations give healthcare. States where there are more self-employed, small business, etc. just can't. No real surprise there.

The health one...in the article they state Nevada is low for obesity rates comparitively, which is the only real measure I'd use. They tied most of their healthcare stats into the lack of health insurance again. Agreed healthcare/insurance is a problem...but its a national problem, and not a Nevada specific one...although Nevada COULD deal with it...however they'd need a massive change in thinking among their populace, and in many ways, they are typical of the mass majority of the U.S. which is reluctant to address such issues.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
[quote=sheriff;7279699]Forgive me, I am a "Biden". I meant to write "substancial", or something of depth. And please, I am NO critic of LV metro, and only ask why so many entities list LV as substandard, while so many move here. Could @ 2mil be wrong, or is living in LV metro underrated?[/QUOTE]

Las Vegas UNDERRATED?

I disagree. To some it's OVERRATED. Too many moved here thinking it was the land of milk and honey, they wanted to escape their problems and moved here thinking they'd be on easy street.

Some of them got a dose of reality when they realized whatever was troubling them back where they came from, followed them here to Las Vegas.

I don't know what point you're trying to get at Sheriff, but I have an idea... you're just trying to downtrod Las Vegas and it's reputation. Which is fine of course, but most moved here knowing of Las Vegas's Sin City moniker and most moved here knowing Las Vegas is driven by and for the tourists.

A lot of people don't really care that Las Vegas (or Nevada) is NOT the education mecca of the country, nor do they care that it is not rich in fine art museums, fine symphony halls, theater, etc. etc.

People moved here because Las Vegas IS WHAT IT IS. People like the Strip and everything that goes along with it, the nightlife, the restaurants, the choices and conveniences, and they like the suburbia of the neighborhoods in which they choose to live.

Only an idiot would choose to move to Las Vegas seeking the finest culture, the top schools, and the desire to work in Microsoft, Google or whatever.

Do you really believe that every single person in this country lives in a culturally rich, educationally strong locale? Do you really believe that everybody WANTS OR NEEDS to live in those type areas? Are you really trying to say that EVERYBODY who moved here is a "lesser" type person because they weren't searching for those things?

Do you really believe that EVERYONE who moved here works in the service industry?

The answer to all is no. Las Vegas is rich in things you just don't realize. The people who moved here have made it rich in their culture, bringing their customs, foods and traditions here. Something we really never had back in the day, before the population boom, that is.

We are a culturally diverse city/valley, and the people who flocked here have made it so. That's what is very appealing to a lot of people. Acceptance and the freedom to embrace their heritage/religions in a place where all kinds people can afford to live, work and enjoy all the things that all the tourists do.

Las Vegas is and will always remain what it is. Sin City, tourist driven, undiversified and service based.

And as you can see by our growth, not many find that a problem.

And apparently you don't either, otherwise folks like you would have moved to the more culturally/business diversified regions long ago.............

Last edited by MomMom; 02-02-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas