Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times

Advertisements

White Smoke from Tailpipe, Sweet smell (hot maple syrup), No Oil on dipstick, No Coolant in Reservoir - GTcars – Car Forum for the Greater Toronto Area (http://www.gtcars.ca/online/subaru-mailing-list/69124-white-smoke-tailpipe-sweet-smell-hot.html - broken link)

check the link out.. maybe the same problem.. do you smell anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 05:28 PM

162 posts, read 467,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
White Smoke from Tailpipe, Sweet smell (hot maple syrup), No Oil on dipstick, No Coolant in Reservoir - GTcars – Car Forum for the Greater Toronto Area (http://www.gtcars.ca/online/subaru-mailing-list/69124-white-smoke-tailpipe-sweet-smell-hot.html - broken link)

check the link out.. maybe the same problem.. do you smell anything?
Yeah, but nothing is coming from the tailpipe, and they said the smoke is from oil leaking and hitting the top of the exhaust system(which is super-heated when operational) and then evaporating. They said the gasket is fine but they want to re-seal the engine and perform the 90k maintenance(Its at 89,800 miles anyways) but $2100 + tax seems like a lot . I know it will be costly, but this seems like a crazy price, and of course if you google purrfect auto you come up with all the scams, negative reviews, and ripoff reports, so they will not be getting my business.

I had a small mechanic shop in Prescott, Arizona check it out a month ago when I was visiting family and I first noticed smoke. They said exactly what Purrfect said(leaking oil, needs new seals and the 90k service done), but they said they would do it all for about $700 + tax! I balked at the time, and they said I was fine to drive as long as I watched my oil, so I brought it back home thinking I'd get it cheaper, and now Purrfect wants triple that...

So, I need help finding a solid mechanic here...

Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 PM

what are they sealing? valve cover gaskets??

Old 02-02-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
what are they sealing? valve cover gaskets??
Yes, they definitely mentioned valve covers leaking. Why do you ask? Is that terribly costly?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 PM

no valve covers are not that bad.. go to the local library.. see if they have "mitchells labor guide" online where you can see what it will cost...

Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
Thanks 4 the advice Buzz, Ted Wiens has yet to call me back after taking my name and number(they were very busy) and about Phil @ Goodyear:
What have you had done there? Fair priced? Any details are appreciated. Thanks again
First of all, it's a wonder to me that the owners of Purfect Auto aren't in jail. They are (allegedly) the biggest crooks in Las Vegas...I mean the country. I took a car there for something simple one time and the story they told me was so outlandish I would never go back. They have been in the news over the way they cheated people in California. Stay away from them.

Phil, is Phil Dase, a well known mechanic, race car driver who has lived in Las Vegas his whole life. He knows cars, and you don't see a lot of Jewish race car drivers...I don't think. Ha.

He also happened to be married to my late ex-wife when she passed. He is a friend and he is honest. If he makes a mistake ─ well he's human. But at least he won't charge you for something you don't need and he won't lie to you. He might insult you though so be ready with a sharp barb just in case.

When I worked at Ch 3, I supervised the person who headed the consumer complaint program that we had then. She reported to me that 80% of the consumer complaints were about auto repair shops. When I worked for the State I now and then interviewed people who had been service writers for car dealers. They always complained about the fact that they had been expected to tell sell people services that they didn't need. Usually it was why they quit or got fired.

We have a Honda and a Saturn because they have good service histories, and because the best place in Las Vegas to take a car is Wally's Honda, or his son's Toyota repair shop. I trust them more than anyone, but if you don't have a Honda or Toyota you're outta luck. Then I have had very good treatment at Saturn of West Sahara. If General Motors operated all their franchises like the Saturn Division they wouldn't be in so much financial trouble. Now I hear they may drop the Saturn line. Duh. How stupid can they be? Oh, yeah ─ they took a private jet to beg Congress for tax money ─ pretty stupid, huh?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 PM

if the library doesnt have mitchells labor guide, ask if they have alldata

Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
First of all, it's a wonder to me that the owners of Purfect Auto aren't in jail. They are (allegedly) the biggest crooks in Las Vegas...I mean the country. I took a car there for something simple one time and the story they told me was so outlandish I would never go back. They have been in the news over the way they cheated people in California. Stay away from them.
Thanks Buzz, this is exactly why I said no. The shop was empty too, btw. Not a single car there as mine was getting looked at, not to mention the place looked old and run down, plus the guys' weird sales tactic of "do it now without thinking or checking around and I'll shave a few hundred off". However, that much money is too much for me to "impulse" buy, especially when I called my friend, told them what they wanted, and a google search revealed not just all the lawsuits and ripoff reports for Purrfect Auto as a whole, but that location in particular

I'm lining up a list of car shops right now, and I'll be calling for quotes at 8AM tomorrow, and your boy Phil is at the top of the list.

And Airics, I will take your advice and do independent research into what this should cost. Thanks again, I appreciate the insight, especially because Subaru knowledge is as rare in LV as a grocery store without slots

Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times
Default Most las vegas auto mechanics are dishonest except

I lived in Vegas not once but TWICE and found mechanics to be TERRIBLY dishonest (as they also are here in FLAGSTAFF).

BEWARE of crooked mechanics in Vegas who say - "I ONLY TAKE CASH BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE GIVE ME CREDIT CARDS THAT'S DON'T WORK." That's another way of saying, "I DON'T DO GOOD WORK AND NEVER GUARANTEE IT."

I'd suggest you contact TOM HART at CATSKILL AUTO in the Henderson Industrial area. He is the most honest mechanic that I have ever met ANYWHERE IN THE US and has reasonable rates. If he doesn't know how to fix something than he will PROVIDE A REFERRAL to someone who can. Or if something is malfunctioning but not critical and doesn't really need to be fixed right away and can wait a few thousand miles, he'll tell you, but obviously that's not your situation.

-Tom

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 02-09-2009 at 06:39 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 06:33 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times
Default Automotive Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
go to Pep Boys, Pecos/Sunset, i can't think of a better place...
Pep Boys is a great place for customer SERVICE and ASKING for advice and ordering cheap parts (NAPA is WAY better), but NOT for solving complicated problems like the OP mentioned. Pep Boys is a good place for easy problems like oil changes, tires, battery replacement, etc. where they do a good job and under national warranty. Same thing with Wallmart where you can get "name brand" tires really cheap and with a warranty. When I lived there I went to the one in Southeast Henderson and had great customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: