Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,432 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 6 moving from SC to Las Vegas area. I am a bit concerned about moving so far with my kids still young. My major concerns are violence ratings, school ratings, BUGS/SNAKES/SCORPIONS, finding a good neighborhood and the extreme heat. This move is almost a must for us due to job relocation. We are looking for advice on the bugs and such of course. I would also like to know what areas are good for renting and schools. We are in the $1800 a month range or lower for rent amount. My oldest is in middle school and is a straight A student. He is a member of the National Junior Honor Society and spelling bee winner. He is active in Football, Baseball and Golf. We are looking for a school that will accommodate his academic needs as well as his athletic affiliations. My youngest son will be entering Kindergarten in the coming school year. He has also shown signs of advanced academic ability and very athletic. He participates in T-Ball here so I would love to know about a rec. center or sports group there as well. We have searched hours on the internet and found many homes that LOOK nice but we are not familiar with any areas. We were told that Henderson was good and so was moving near the lake but again, I am not sure about the drive for my husband. He will be working close to Forum Shops; I think that is what it is called. I would love to hear anything and everything you guys can give me about the area. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Oh, one more thing....when it says it is 108 degrees. Does it really feel that HOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM

269 posts, read 976,637 times
Quick question, have you ever been to Vegas?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,432 times
I have never been to Vegas. I have lived and visited on the East coast all of my life!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom960306 View Post
We are a family of 6 moving from SC to Las Vegas area. I am a bit concerned about moving so far with my kids still young. My major concerns are violence ratings, school ratings, BUGS/SNAKES/SCORPIONS, finding a good neighborhood and the extreme heat. This move is almost a must for us due to job relocation. We are looking for advice on the bugs and such of course. I would also like to know what areas are good for renting and schools. We are in the $1800 a month range or lower for rent amount. My oldest is in middle school and is a straight A student. He is a member of the National Junior Honor Society and spelling bee winner. He is active in Football, Baseball and Golf. We are looking for a school that will accommodate his academic needs as well as his athletic affiliations. My youngest son will be entering Kindergarten in the coming school year. He has also shown signs of advanced academic ability and very athletic. He participates in T-Ball here so I would love to know about a rec. center or sports group there as well. We have searched hours on the internet and found many homes that LOOK nice but we are not familiar with any areas. We were told that Henderson was good and so was moving near the lake but again, I am not sure about the drive for my husband. He will be working close to Forum Shops; I think that is what it is called. I would love to hear anything and everything you guys can give me about the area. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Oh, one more thing....when it says it is 108 degrees. Does it really feel that HOT!
yes it does really feel that hot, like you've stuck your head in the oven or if its windy like a hairdryer blowing on you all day long...

it may be difficult for your son to be able to play all those sports and still be in clubs since practice is mainly every day after school, but football isn't offered until high school level and some schools may not even offer golf...

Don't live near the lake it would take forever to get to the Forum Shops...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM

444 posts, read 1,614,386 times
Many of your questions will need to be answered by others as I have no children in that age range.

I have lived in SC ... Greenville, Spartanburg and Columbia. You will miss green as in grass and trees. You will miss the extremely slow pace of SC, if you like that sort of thing. And you will miss the humidity. 108 feels like SC's 90. Our 120 feels like SC's 98. Las Vegans have ways to deal with that so don't over fret about it.

At $1800 per month, someone on this board will guide you to great housing in a great school district. As is true with most things in life, if you come with a good attitude ... you're gonna love this place. There is a lot for a family to do with great day trips, local activities and wonderful parks for family, sports and pets. We moved here from Kitty Hawk NC. Welcome.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
108 in LV does not feel like 108 in SC, due to the lack of humidity. 108 is still hot (I've experienced 112 there)...but not like the wet blanket draining hot that comes with humidity.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:28 AM

90 posts, read 316,693 times
I promise you there are more bugs and snakes to worry about in SC than in LV - there's another post about scorpions and such you can read to ease your mind on that. As far as the heat - yes, summers get really, really hot - but it's a dry heat....LOL... seriously, the first one is rough, but you really do get used to it. Just go to a pool or do more stuff inside or early mornings during that time of year. Most areas have rec centers for indoor activities and classes, and there are all the same youth sports in LV that you have anywhere else. My son played both soccer and t-ball when we were there - the leagues were very well organized. Schools are a real concern - especially for the academically advanced from what I am finding, one issue I'm also dealing with addressing for our move back, but everything else is really pretty much the same as in any other municipality as far as amenities and activities go. Just do your research on where to live (lots of helpful posts on this from the locals - just do a search) and try to get into a decent school district compared to the others on the greatschools site. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Honestly, the only thing I hate about LV is the small lot sizes of most of the houses - but there really is a ton to do and if you have kids, you'll love the parks - really, really nice in most areas.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 AM

269 posts, read 976,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom960306 View Post
I have never been to Vegas. I have lived and visited on the East coast all of my life!
If you have the time, you really should consider coming out and checking the area out. I'd recommend this no matter where you were moving. You can't get a feel for a place until you actually see it, the internet only goes so far.

South Carolina to Vegas will be culture shock for you if you've never lived in the big city or vacationed here. I've lived in Jacksonville, Florida before and trust me, JAX is nothing like Vegas.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Go to...

Crime in Las Vegas

Anyplace green or yellow will work. That is because well off neighborhoods have low crime and good schools.

For easy commute you should consider 89074, 89052 and 89123. This is basically Henderson and Silverado Ranch.

You can check out the schools at...

Schools of Las Vegas Rankings

In general crime is moderate overall and low in the nicer areas. It is significantly less than the big cities of the south and midwest.

Compared to South Carolina it is bug free. You spray to keep the crawlies under control. Virtually no mosquitos. Scorpions and such are quite rare. It is doubtful you will ever see a snake. I walk my dog in the open desert and have never seen one.

It is hot. Note though that it actually is dry and I find 100 here equivalent to 90 in the south. Above 105 you stay air conditioned. We often work outside until it reaches 100. My wife and I actually like the heat. Some don't and it is probably the biggest single reason new comers leave Las Vegas.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:35 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
89123 is very nice, that's where i live and it is a fairly easy commute to most areas of Las Vegas, including the Strip...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas