Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The rabbits around there are amazing.

As a college student, years ago, I use to work at the Grand Canyon in Arizona...which meant we took quite a few road trips to Las Vegas.

On the way between the two, it is amazing how many rabbits you see darting all over the road. I kid you not, one time I counted them on that six hour drive, and it was 109 rabbits that I saw!
Back in the olden days when Pahrump was all cotton farms and nobody lived there, my buddy and I used to drive down the Pahrump Highway in a Jeep and shoot jackrabbits. From the railroad tracks just past Jones (which didn't exist then) and SR 160, all the way to Pahrump, we'd chase them across the desert in the Jeep. Not ecologically the right thing to do, but we didn't know that back then. Not very nice to the rabbits either, so I would never do that now. They seemed to come out right at at midnight, and you're right, there were a lot of them. Once in a while we'd chase a coyote across the desert too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,046 times
I just saw a large (6 inches long) centipede in my kitchen and another one near my rose bushes in the back yard HUGE! dark brown color i live in east side of las vegas

Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
I barely see any centipedes but I do have a couple dozen if these eating my tomato plants.

Sent from watch

Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,174 times
Quote:
I barely see any centipedes but I do have a couple dozen if these eating my tomato plants.
Those green caterpillars are the so-called "tomato worms" or "horned tomato worms" common in gardens across the country. There are several different varieties. They nibble away at tomato and other garden plants and, eventually, will
spin cocoons in leaves/debris on the ground when they are ready to metamorphose and emerge as moths or - in some cases - butterflies. Basically harmless, but they devour leaves of our fresh vegetation.

On the other hand, I lived in Las Vegas for 35 years and never, never saw a centipede.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,099 times
Default Relocate em?

Maybe pull them off and move them to weeds or other plants you don't want?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:36 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,174 times
Quote:
Maybe pull them off and move them to weeds or other plants you don't want?
That's an idea....but....they LOVE tomato plant leaves (hence the name "tomato worm"). Although they move slowly, I suspect they'd head back for your tomato patch following relocation. Must be the smell of tomato plants.

I say pull 'em off, pack 'em up, and send 'em to the "Fear Factor" television show!

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM

207 posts, read 509,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrogod420 View Post
I knew they where here but I never seen one til last night. I was laying on the floor and something run acrossed it literly a foot or two from me. When I first seen it I thought was an earwig, but then I seen how long it was and i was up quicker then a hot flash. I trapped it in a clear casing only 6"x2"x2.5". I used to have a tarantula and they way you give it water is by taking some toilet papper and soaking it in water and balling it up. So thats what i did for this guy cuz I read that they love moister and they lose water quickly.
I was courus to know if you or anybody you know have info. on centipedes? Any incounters? Heard of people getting bit by 'em? anyhting of the sort.
thank you
I have an friend that has lived here for 20+ years, I found one of those centipedes last year (dead) and happened to mention it to him - it was the biggest centipede I've ever seen. He says they are quite dangerous, and that one of his relatives is a landscaper that got stung by one of these centipedes and nearly lost his thumb because of it. (I'm not sure if it was solely due to the sting or a resulting infection or what, but I never want to find out personally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
You should get rid of those - they are hornworm caterpillars and they will decimate your tomato plants and other plants in your garden. We had 2 really nice pepper plants for a while (which they also like) and purchased a new plant that must have had a couple of these on it. Within 24 hours those suckers completely destroyed the pepper plants leaving behind nothing but chewed stems.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:18 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
Guess someone bumped an old thread, but I've been bit by centipedes a few times. The big ones like in the pic on page one didn't do squat. The little blueish ones that are 1/20th the size are another story...they will mess you up!

None of this was in Nevada however, it was in Hawaii.

We'd get the big ones 6-9" long all the time in the house. It was always a battle between them, the fist sized cane spiders, and the 3" long flying cockroaches.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Yes they are here. Is is whitish? If so, do not let them sting you. I have been in the pest control industry for almost 10 years, and have had only like 5 total in peoples houses over the years.
Bugbully do you know the best way to get rid of these ugly lilcritters ;0( Weve found 3 in our house in the past 6 months?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post

Sent from watch
Von, the only cure for those beasties is a pair of scissors and a glass of wine ( the wine is to to make the task more palatable for you). They will decimate your garden in short order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas