Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 04:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,094 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am moving to Las Vegas in a couple weeks to attend graduate school at UNLV. I am looking for an apartment in the area, and having very little luck. Maybe you guys can help me out? The following is a summary of what I'm looking for:

1) Clean
2) Quiet
3) Cheap
4) Walk, bike, or bus-able to UNLV

That's it. I don't care if the neighborhood is "terrifying." I lived for years as an out of place white boy in one of New Orleans' worst neighborhoods, and I'm pretty sure there's no part of Vegas that could scare me after that. I don't care if the management or tenants don't speak English, as I'm fluent in Spanish (I've noticed that's a common complaint on apartment ratings). I don't care if the place is nice, or old and run down. I just need it to be clean, quiet, and cheap. I've found a lot of cheap, but they all seem to be filthy and loud based on the reviews. That won't work. I'd really like not to spend more than 500 per month, which seems possible given the listings I've seen in the area. I'm open to, and might even prefer, a studio. I do have a car and could drive to UNLV if absolutely necessary, but I'd really rather not. Any suggestions you could offer would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:33 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,911 times
There are a lot of apartment complexes near the southern end of Maryland near Russel. An example would be Country Hills. I would google map that area and call some of the complexes to see what they offer. There aren't any areas of Las Vegas that will freak you out if you lived in NOLA. I had a few laughs about the same concept after I moved here from Cincinnati. Good luck on your search.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:58 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGeaux View Post
Walk, bike, or bus-able to UNLV
If the potential injury and theft risks are acceptable, and you have the mechanical aptitude to maintain it, a used China 50cc scooter may be an option.

Per UNLV FAQ . .
"I ride my bicycle/moped to campus. Do I need a permit? Can I lock it anywhere as long as it is not blocking traffic?
Bicycles and mopeds are not required to have parking permits. Bicycles used on campus must be riden and parked with regard for the safety of pedestrians. Bicycle parking racks must be used, and bicycles cannot be parked or driven on pedestrian ramps to buildings, or in buildings. Mopeds must be parked in motorcycle parking areas only. Mopeds are not allowed on campus sidewalks or walkways."

Nevada DMV

Las Vegas Craigslist

Las Vegas Sun article

Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Most of the student-type housing is never going to be quiet. I would probably just find a place close to campus, and paint/clean/fumigate before I moved in. I would also buy a big noisy fan for white noise and it will help with the AC bill too.

After all, if you find cheap and close, the other issues you can take care of yourself.

Or if you must have quiet, it's going to be further away from school and probably more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas