Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 7,407 times

Advertisements

So my husband is being stationed down in Nellis in December. We are wondering what is the best area to live in for ease of drive... length is okay but not too much congestion.. and schools for my son, 3RD grade. We are looking to buy around 200,000 but would prefer a non HOA neighborhood... PLease Help.

Very excited, I will be going to UNLV and we like the outdoors more so then on the strip life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Interesting scenario. For elementary schools in your price range and a bearable commute to Nellis I would look at Centennial Hills, zip codes 89131 and 89143. However, the commute to UNLV might be a little more of a pain in the butt from there (extreme NW part of the valley). My son is in 3rd grade and I have absolutely zero complaints about the schools in this area.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:51 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
200k and non hoa... don't know about that

Old 02-06-2009, 11:29 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
200k and non hoa... don't know about that
It's very possible if one looks to the older parts of NW Vegas. Of course you will have less yard, older home, lesser schools, etc. It's all about priorities.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:38 AM

yep, i keep forgetting about the older homes...me personally, i like a newer home.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:13 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
I agree with 89131 and 89143. I would also consider Aliante and that part of NLV. You can also drop below 215 and above Craig...which are older neighborhoods.

You might suggest the no HOA...but in general that may be a big disadvantage in most of Las Vegas. It is close to impossible in Clark County or City of Las Vegas since 2000.

I would note that non HOA homes likely have larger lots.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 PM

90 posts, read 316,693 times
Hey tribalrose from an ex-military gal. We were stationed at Nellis from 2002-2005 and lived in the 89130 zipcode. We were in a neighborhood called the Lodge at Hunters Pointe which had an inactive HOA at that time - no board, no fees, and nobody breathing down your neck about the color of the flowers you plant. We had zero problems with the neighborhood other than we hated the small lots - but alas, that is mostly what you get in Vegas unless you opt for an older home. Now that my hubby is retired, we are actually moving back to LV for a 3 year job starting this summer and are also looking for basically what you describe. Unfortunately (for me - some people really like them), it seems that HOAs are the norm, so the best thing to do seems to be finding the ones that are the least oppressive. Read the by-laws for sure before you sign on the dotted line! We will definitely go NW again, but even farther NW this time we think! It sounds like there are some decent newer schools in the NW which is a factor for us as well. You are gonna love the outdoor stuff in the area! That is the number one reason we are psyched about coming back. The hiking in the surrounding mountains is great, especially if you get off the most popular trails which tend to be crowded. If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you have even more options. Buy a regional trail guide and they will have trails ranked based on difficulty and how family friendly the hikes are. There are so many wonderful state and national parks within easy driving distance. And the surrounding desert is wonderful to explore in all but the hottest months of summer. NW will be easy driving to the base, but not sure how long it would take to get to UNLV from there.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,407 times
Thanks everyone for your help... I am stoked about the move! I guess HOA is a better way to go. Are they very expensive? If a HOA community wasn't an issue would you still suggest the 89130 and 89143 areas?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 PM

hoa's in my opinion are strange... where my first home is (now rented), the hoa is downright nasty... my tenant left a mop out overnight.. violation.... left the trash can out.. violation...

where my home is now, its like i dont even have an hoa

funny thing, both are the same hoa company

Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
HOA's run from very low to very high. I was reading info that was sent me yesterday on two reo's; both houses priced around $300,000. One was south and don't hold me to this but I want to think Silverado Ranch and it was very reasonable at $35 a month while the other was Lake Las Vegas, with all it's financial problems, and it ran over $300 a month. Many times the cost depends on what the community has to maintain. Guard gated, gated, community pool, walking trails, etc.

I personally prefer HOA's and those that are run by the homeowners, not a management team. Where we currently live, the Board of our HOA, all of whom are elected neighbors, cannot understand the point of having a HOA is to maintain the values of our property and enforce the Deed Restrictions. They have over the course of the last 5 years, allowed 3 houses to be built in here that did not meet the minimum specified square footage or architectural controls. Because of that, we now have houses costing much less than others but hey, the Board didn't want to step on anyone's toes so everyone's houses have depreciated. Otoh, you can run into the situations where they do complain about a mop left out and **** and moan so much about everything they succeed in dividing and conquering a neighborhood. In an ideal world, the basis for why they were created and if run properly will tend to ensure the continued appreciation of the neighborhood. I thought the previous post of suggesting one read the HOA regulations before buying, an excellent one and also going a step further and possibly talking to neighbors about how they are enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas