Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,663,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post

Aqualung, are you a fellow linguist? I am and I stuggle with anything on the mathmatical or techincal side. My husband is the reverse, has the mechanics down, but can't grasp new languages. People that usually excell in one of those areas, struggle with the other.......so congratulations
I've formally studied Russian (my main), Japanese (my second), Spanish, and Latin. I also know little bits of a number of other languages. I've got pretty good pronunciation. My sister isn't into languages, she's better at math. If I had time/money, I'd go back to college and work on my languages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I don't know them...they may be as terrible as you say "but" I wouldn't want someone I was helping to get too comfortable at my house especially if they were known to not be motivated to get out and get their own place.

One thing I learned well as a child/young adult...when you live under someone else's roof you live by their rules...if you don't like it get your own place. It's that simple.
I'd love to get my own place, Lyra, but I wouldn't treat them like they're treating me. My back is killing me, but they won't allow me to use either the pool or the hot tub.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post

I'd love to get my own place, Lyra, but I wouldn't treat them like they're treating me. My back is killing me, but they won't allow me to use either the pool or the hot tub.
Aqua, man, you gotta take what you can get. If we can tell you're consistently looking for what's wrong with the people who are helping you out I'm sure they can pick up on it very easily. Nobody is going to want to let you use anything if they feel you don't even appreciate what's already being given to you.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Aqua, man, you gotta take what you can get. If we can tell you're consistently looking for what's wrong with the people who are helping you out I'm sure they can pick up on it very easily. Nobody is going to want to let you use anything if they feel you don't even appreciate what's already being given to you.
I have to take this one step further. Aqua, I have much respect for you but you have to realize that your sister has no obligation to give you shelter. You should be kissing her behind not bashing her on this forum. I have a brother who wants to come to "visit". I told him no for various reasons.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:57 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,942,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I've formally studied Russian (my main), Japanese (my second), Spanish, and Latin. I also know little bits of a number of other languages. I've got pretty good pronunciation. My sister isn't into languages, she's better at math. If I had time/money, I'd go back to college and work on my languages.

What is their reason for that? I just don't get it. If I allow someone to stay at my house when I know that they don't have anything, I know what I am in for. I am sure they don't like that you were on the streets and that is nice of them to let you stay there. But, it isn't their first rodeo, yours either. Both of you know how each other are and what to expect. Good luck with the job and congrats!

Old 07-09-2011, 08:59 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
I have such a picture-perfect roommate, that even thought he has barely worked the last 9 months, and paid little or not rent, he's worth his weight in gold!

He can fix anything around here ASAP. The other day my stove light wouldn't go off, and the burners stayed on. The stove is older, was ready to run to Lowe's and buy a new one, and there he goes, investigating the problem, and within a half-hour he had fixed it!

Feeling guilty about not paying his fair share, I haven't had to vacuum, clean, wash the dishes, trim the plants, in 9 months. And cleans up after my ferret as well.

I love to cook, and there he is, always eager to clean up the mess afterwards (I share with him everything I cook, his way of saying thank-you).

And today, I drove him to a Mexican bus station, to go to L.A. to paint and install new countertops for his sister. Won't be back for 3 weeks.

Oh Lord! Back to cleaning and I will feel like a King that's been toppled from his throne!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
I was in Aqualung's situation in 2005. I came back to Phoenix from Vegas completely broke with less than $100 to my name. I managed to get a job immediately that literally gave me 100 hours a week. Both my parents are deceased so I begged my sister and BIL(have since divorced) to temporarily live with them until I could get on my feet. I would barely have even been there with all the hours I was working. They flat out said no way. I ended up living in my car for a month after which I rented a room. It was summer time so it really sucked. I got an email from my sister 2 months ago saying she is getting married in December and she wants me to be the best man. Needless to say, I never even responded back. My friends say I am being heartless and cruel, but I do not see it that way. What she did to me was cruel so paybacks are a b i t c h.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:30 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,942,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I think the rain is great, very refreshing, washes away a lot of the crud and dirt and grime

The rain is making me homesick actually, I miss my daily afternoon heavy thunderstorms in Orlando, now I know why its so clean there

Vegas is clean as far as Im concerned, its just all the desert dust that makes things dirty

LVD you should move to the Atacama desert in South America, where it rains .1 inches a year or maybe the Sahara Desert in Africa? How does living near the Pyramids of Egypt sound?
Funny that the very things we biotched about, we end up missing. I am not expecting that to happen about mosquitoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I was in Aqualung's situation in 2005. I came back to Phoenix from Vegas completely broke with less than $100 to my name. I managed to get a job immediately that literally gave me 100 hours a week. Both my parents are deceased so I begged my sister and BIL(have since divorced) to temporarily live with them until I could get on my feet. I would barely have even been there with all the hours I was working. They flat out said no way. I ended up living in my car for a month after which I rented a room. It was summer time so it really sucked. I got an email from my sister 2 months ago saying she is getting married in December and she wants me to be the best man. Needless to say, I never even responded back. My friends say I am being heartless and cruel, but I do not see it that way. What she did to me was cruel so paybacks are a b i t c h.
Heartless. Eh, maybe. But, worse, I think is harboring those grudges. Not good for your mental or physical health. Forgiveness is a powerful, positive tool. Doesn't mean you have to be best friends, just means cleansing your soul and moving on.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Heartless. Eh, maybe. But, worse, I think is harboring those grudges. Not good for your mental or physical health. Forgiveness is a powerful, positive tool. Doesn't mean you have to be best friends, just means cleansing your soul and moving on.
I can also add that I was back living here in Vegas in 2006. I was nearly broke without a job but I was soon to get an inheritance. The paperwork went through her and she made sure to make it take longer so I would suffer. I had to get my aunt and friend involved as she made it hell on me to get my money. That was the final straw and I have NEVER talked to her ever since. It has been 5 years now. I am really not harboring a grudge. I just do not consider her my sister anymore. I don't miss her or even think about her anymore. When people ask me if I have siblings, I tell them I am an only child.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have such a picture-perfect roommate, that even thought he has barely worked the last 9 months, and paid little or not rent, he's worth his weight in gold!

He can fix anything around here ASAP. The other day my stove light wouldn't go off, and the burners stayed on. The stove is older, was ready to run to Lowe's and buy a new one, and there he goes, investigating the problem, and within a half-hour he had fixed it!

Feeling guilty about not paying his fair share, I haven't had to vacuum, clean, wash the dishes, trim the plants, in 9 months. And cleans up after my ferret as well.

I love to cook, and there he is, always eager to clean up the mess afterwards (I share with him everything I cook, his way of saying thank-you).

And today, I drove him to a Mexican bus station, to go to L.A. to paint and install new countertops for his sister. Won't be back for 3 weeks.

Oh Lord! Back to cleaning and I will feel like a King that's been toppled from his throne!
Are you going to take your roommate with you when you move to Phoenix next year?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I can also add that I was back living here in Vegas in 2006. I was nearly broke without a job but I was soon to get an inheritance. The paperwork went through her and she made sure to make it take longer so I would suffer. I had to get my aunt and friend involved as she made it hell on me to get my money. That was the final straw and I have NEVER talked to her ever since. It has been 5 years now. I am really not harboring a grudge. I just do not consider her my sister anymore. I don't miss her or even think about her anymore. When people ask me if I have siblings, I tell them I am an only child.
Grudges are like splinters that slide deep into your soul. Soon you have so many splinters, you don't even recognize what a grudge is anymore. Stating to others that you are an only child only further deepens the splinter. While you may somehow feel as though you're giving her what's due to her by disowning her in your mind, you are only poisoning your own well being. I know because I had the same paradoxical views about my parents growing up with my grandmother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas