Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 05:38 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I'd love to attend the SHOT Show but...
I did not realize you were so young!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
LOL.
I'm 41...but not in the "trade".

Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 AM

131 posts, read 209,932 times
The company I used to work for has a booth and I didn't know if anyone on here was in the trade or not. If I'm a good girl, I might get a pass!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM

131 posts, read 209,932 times
[quote=tijlover;22389138]Pink: I pray hard that the work was done professionally, and you don't have to take it back.

Get this! Tonite I went to retrieve something out of my car, and noticed the door light didn't go on. So I cranked the car, nothing! And I just put a new battery in it!

So now I call them this morning early, and seek some kind of explanation.

Tij, how old was the old battery? Why did they replace it? Maybe they forgot to connect something back up? How long was the car sitting before it went dead? Was there a door left ajar? I'm dealing myself with a power draw on my BMW--car goes dead within a week, but it doesn't sound that complicated for you. Forgive me if I missed it, but what do you drive? I appreciate older cars--used to have a 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro before I moved here, and an '86 Audi 4000CS. Both a PITA to work on, but I loved the older style where you have to park and drive the car yourself! I love my BMW, too, but I'll never use all the buttons in it!

Pink, I, too, hope the work is done correctly and honestly the first time...Nothing worse than relying on someone to just fix it right and finding out you're back at square one. One of the reasons I married a mechanic Good luck!!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I saw an old '72 Datsun 510 4-dr. sedan for sale that only had 73,400 some miles on it for only $3,450. Wow. I don't need a car, I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, but also have it's payments to keep paying on. The day we pay off our Lancer we are gonna have ourselves a party!

Datsun engineers designed the 510 to be a little racer to compete against the BMW's and Porsche's of the world. I kid you not. It's parts are set up for handling prowess and zippy acceleration. And there is something about that simple, boxy design that just enthralls me! I love it so much I bought a plastic Revell model of it and built it, painted it a mustardy-yellowish color that looks just awesome on it. That one I saw for sale was in the 'Wheeler Dealer' magazine-in the Wal*Mart here in Smelterville, ID, which is up I-90 about 3 miles from our rental home in Kellogg, ID. I think the car for sale is way out in Indiana or something! Us car nuts get carried away sometimes. Funny about us car nuts. I was there reading a Life magazine with pics of 2011 in it. The mag was fantasic as Life mags usually are. But man, a guy walked up to me and grabbed a car mag he'd already seen or something-mumbled something to me.

"Huh?"

"Blah-blah." Still couldn't tell what he was talking about. He than started bragging about old cars he loves and owns...and is currently collecting. Hey, BTW-anyone looking to wheel and deal PM me. I got this guy's name and telephone number. I know, Idaho, but if you find the right deal it still might pay ta talk to him. He ended up wanting more information about my BIL's '74 Ford Maverick with the bump scoopy thing on the hood that sis and he own over in Edmonds, WA.

Oh man! "Hey, does he want ta sell it?"

"I dunno."

"Uhh...I'll give you my name and number and call me if he does. Matter of fact, call me if ya just want ta talk about cars, OK?"

"OK!"

By this time my wife was ready to check out in front and I had ta go. But I've kept the piece of paper with his name and number.

We both agreed that the 1960's provided the best cars ever for our consumption. T'was an absolutely incredibly talented crop of engineers the domestic market Big Three had in Detroit during the 60's. Any of y'all want a Dodge Challenger of what not, give me a PM. This guy is nuttier than myself even about cars.

Last edited by elkotronics; 01-04-2012 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM

369 posts, read 772,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Well, I found out I didn't need a new alternator after all, just new valve covers and a new battery: $364. They checked the brakes, hoses, no repairs needed there. So I decided to investigate what it would cost to fix my driver's side window, as it won't go up or down. Yikes! Now I know why a co-worker never bothered to get his power window fixed! Expensive parts (my car is 27YO) and 2 hours of labor: $500+! No thanks! I'll wait until the passenger side window goes kaput, then I'll fork up the $500!

A little scarey having a 27YO car as my mechanic told me it's getting more and more difficult to find parts for these cars! But my feet are encased in concrete on this one: No new high-tech gadgety car!

I'm too close to retirement, which will spell bus passes and an undecided alternative: moped, electric bike or standard bike or electric wheelchair, whether I need one or not!

100% Electric Motorcycle : Brammo Empulse and Enertia Home

ZERO S Electric Motorcycle - Buy / Order || ZERO MOTORCYCLES

Electric motorcycles!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
One of the best things we love about our car, it's paid off. No monthly payments. And that's how we want to stay, no monthly payments. My husbands friend just picked up my husband to go and get the car. It will be nice to finally get to some other stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, Sunflower market without having to take several buses across town to get there.
The "taking the bus to go to the store" thing was fine when I was younger. Now it's a royal pain in the buttski.
I used to have 10 grocery bags in one hand, a 20 lb bag of cat litter on my shoulder, and a gallon of milk in my right hand(back when I used to drink that stuff) and barely made it on to the bus with the weight of it all. Now there is no way in hell that could ever work. And I do not wish to go back in time, I only want to go forward.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
[quote=AOldfield;22391450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Tij, how old was the old battery? Why did they replace it? Maybe they forgot to connect something back up? How long was the car sitting before it went dead? Was there a door left ajar? I'm dealing myself with a power draw on my BMW--car goes dead within a week, but it doesn't sound that complicated for you. Forgive me if I missed it, but what do you drive? I appreciate older cars--used to have a 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro before I moved here, and an '86 Audi 4000CS. Both a PITA to work on, but I loved the older style where you have to park and drive the car yourself! I love my BMW, too, but I'll never use all the buttons in i
The mechanic drove over this morning, jumped the car, and I drove it to the shop. I turned it off, and it wouldn't start, and perhaps falsely diagnosed by AAA that my alternator was good, the mechanic told me it was the alternator, as 2 days ago they installed a new Exide battery. So, what else could it be? So I instructed him to put in a new alternator as he thinks the alternator is the original one that came with my 1985 Toyota Supra! So we shall see! The clock is ticking where I'll just throw in the towel and say Adios! to car ownership!

My brother is a mechanic in Minneapolis, been one for 25 years, has his own shop, and he has enough customers, where he now turns down doing any work on an Audi or BMW, he says they're the most difficult cars to work on.
One of his mechanic buddies had spent untold amount of time trying to fix a BMW, called my brother for assistance, and between the 2 of them, they finally got it fixed ($2000 in charges) but my brother refuses to go near those cars, unless he's really desperate for a customer.

More power to you if you can find someone competent enough to fix those cars for you!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Default Questions people ask

Not to be an a-hole or anything..But sometimes I get a little annoyed at the questions people ask on the boards..

Such as... What type of drug test does so and so company use...What are the hiring procedures at so and so company... How long does it take to hear back from so and so company... Why isn't my Girlfriend getting called back from so and so company....Do your Ta-Tas have to be a certain size and shape to work at so and so company...Is it better to wear a silk Nehru jacket or my "Bubba Rules" overalls to my interview... Why can't I get the CEO job at so and so company when I ran a bicycle shop for 3 1/2 years.... And lastly - My buddy said his brother got a job at so and so company making $50 an hour so why can't I.....Especially since he is gay and I am bi....etc, etc, etc...

Well as you can see I am poking fun with a few of those.. But that's what I am talking about...A lot of things are common sense..People do not know a lot of the answers.. And even if you went thru the same thing for the same company, it could be totally different for anyone else...

Hell I lived in Colorado for around 30 years but I couldn't answer a lot of questions about things there cause I had no idea....

Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
[quote=tijlover;22400970]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOldfield View Post

The mechanic drove over this morning, jumped the car, and I drove it to the shop. I turned it off, and it wouldn't start, and perhaps falsely diagnosed by AAA that my alternator was good, the mechanic told me it was the alternator, as 2 days ago they installed a new Exide battery. So, what else could it be? So I instructed him to put in a new alternator as he thinks the alternator is the original one that came with my 1985 Toyota Supra! So we shall see! The clock is ticking where I'll just throw in the towel and say Adios! to car ownership!

My brother is a mechanic in Minneapolis, been one for 25 years, has his own shop, and he has enough customers, where he now turns down doing any work on an Audi or BMW, he says they're the most difficult cars to work on.
One of his mechanic buddies had spent untold amount of time trying to fix a BMW, called my brother for assistance, and between the 2 of them, they finally got it fixed ($2000 in charges) but my brother refuses to go near those cars, unless he's really desperate for a customer.

More power to you if you can find someone competent enough to fix those cars for you!

Did you check to see if the lights were flickering when the car was running... if so.. alternator...

if not.. dead cell in battery.... it happens ALOT with Exide or Interstate batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas