Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times

Advertisements

For those wanting to stop smoking, I thought I'd share my son's experience.
He smoked over two packs a day, and I was beside myself about it. He tried stopping several times but failed. Then his doctor prescribed a high dose of Welbutrin for him to take along with the nicotine patches. The Welbutrin is a anti depressant, and why this combination helps, I can't say. But within month, he was able to quit cold turkey and hasn't smoked now in two years. Just wanted you to know and maybe talk to your doctor about it next visit.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:35 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
He smoked over two packs a day, and I was beside myself about it. He tried stopping several times but failed. Then his doctor prescribed a high dose of Welbutrin for him to take along with the nicotine patches. The Welbutrin is a anti depressant, and why this combination helps, I can't say. But within month, he was able to quit cold turkey and hasn't smoked now in two years. Just wanted you to know and maybe talk to your doctor about it next visit.
It's likely due to nicotine's ability to boost dopamine levels in the brain. As with most substances, it's not really the substance the body wants all the time but the surge of feel good chemicals that are released when the chemical meets the receptors. Welbutrin likely achieves the same thing. Careful though, anti depressants aren't without their problems too.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,817 times
I used E-cigs to quit. Got a kit with a months worth of stuff and steadily tapered down. Been smoke free going on 3 years.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:25 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
And is he off the Welbutrin?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
What will always give me a scare, in quitting smoking altogether, is thinking of my Dad who quit smoking (50 years of smoking) and gained a lot of weight, and my sister, who also quit, who also gained a lot of weight, and who now says: Well, at least I quit smoking!

And the times I sit at my computer, only have a cigarette an hour, and I devour a whole bag of snacks, that's scarey to me!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What will always give me a scare, in quitting smoking altogether, is thinking of my Dad who quit smoking (50 years of smoking) and gained a lot of weight, and my sister, who also quit, who also gained a lot of weight, and who now says: Well, at least I quit smoking!

And the times I sit at my computer, only have a cigarette an hour, and I devour a whole bag of snacks, that's scarey to me!
I gained a lot of weight when I quit too. Here is why people gain weight after quitting smoking: Most of them use cigarettes as a replacement for food, so when they quit, they just eat everything in sight. Food also will taste better, once the taste receptors come back after being dulled out by all the chemicals from cigarettes.

You can successfully quit without gaining if you make sure you stock up on good snacks like a big bowl in the fridge with cut up celery, radishes, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes,etc. And get regular exercise.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 AM

208 posts, read 350,405 times
Quote:
Here's how i quit...I told myself, "you have an addiction, you can either stand up to it and fight, or be a wimp and let it control your life. I told myself that if I ever gave in to the urge to smoke again I would be admitting that my addiction was stronger than I was." Every time I was ready to cave in and have a cigarette I told myself that If I did I was nothing but a weak coward who was giving up...I know it was just a mind game, but im stubborn as hell and I'll die before I give up.

I was up to almost 2 packs a day when I quit, I drank almost everyday too...that was 15-16 yrs ago and Im in the best shape of my life.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Congrats to all you "quitters"

Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,167 times
I smoke 1-2 cig's per day. I will worry about quitting when my husband is gone. The nurse said 1-2 yrs at the most but he is a fighter. I don't like to smoke but it is helping me deal with the stress.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
When my dad quit years ago he was warned about getting the urge to eat instead of smoke. I remember he always had a bag of carrot sticks with him (not baby carrots, big carrots cut into sticks). He was ALWAYS eating those things. But he didn't gain weight after quitting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas