Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I noticed the prices were rising too. I don't buy the processed stuff, but a lot of the produce is comparable now to other stores. Some things are still cheaper, like a 10 lb bag of potatoes and the avocados. But most of the prices went up up and away.

Also, not only Winco, but Fresh and Easy's prices went up too far. Especially for the things we buy the most. I see their tactics now: They come in to the area with super low prices. People get all excited that there is a new store in town. They get used to shopping there, and then the prices start climbing like there's no tomorrow and after awhile the thrill is gone and we go back to the old stores we always shopped at before like Smiths.
If these new stores want to do well, they need to keep prices down or offer things that other stores do not, otherwise they may not last in the long term.

Yep I dont fall for this tactic either. Im not sure how long its been going on but I first noticed it in the early 90's when Best Buy come to Vegas, The first year music cd's and VHS movies where sold $3-4 cheaper than Tower and Wherehouse records. Over the course of the year after the grand opening. Best Buy prices where right inline with Tower records.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:20 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I've been a loyal faithful patron of card-less Food4Less for 16 years. By now, I know all their little tricks, the timing for when to buy/stock up on this or that, looking vigilantly for their green savings labels on the shelves, and when some produce is too high, I may stop off at La Bonita, just down the street, where I also, sometimes, buy my ground beef or some fish specials.

I have Smith's, Food4less, Albertson's, La Bonita, Marketon all within 6 blocks of my house, two within walking distance. I detest driving one extra mile than I have to, so I missed that: grand opening of Winnco, all the excitement, and the inevitable letdown!

I also have a big stand-up freezer, in addition to my freezer in the Frigj', and when Foster Farms chicken goes on sale, for example, I've got plenty of space to stock up!

When Winnco opened, there were guesses as to which chains would weather this newcomer better than others, and Food4Less stood to lose nothing. Understandable! But I have a total mental block to shopping at stores which require a card for savings! Ain't gonna do it! Ain't gonna do it! Ain't gonna do it! Yes, just blasted stubborn!!!

Last edited by tijlover; 05-15-2012 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: Add words

Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've been a loyal faithful patron of card-less Food4Less for 16 years. By now, I know all their little tricks, the timing for when to buy/stock up on this or that, looking vigilantly for their green savings labels on the shelves, and when some produce is too high, I may stop off at La Bonita, just down the street, where I also, sometimes, buy my ground beef or some fish specials.

I have Smith's, Food4less, Albertson's, La Bonita, Marketon all within 6 blocks of my house, two within walking distance. I detest driving one extra mile than I have to, so I missed that: grand opening of Winnco, all the excitement, and the inevitable letdown!

I also have a big stand-up freezer, in addition to my freezer in the Frigj', and when Foster Farms chicken goes on sale, for example, I've got plenty of space to stock up!

When Winnco opened, there were guesses as to which chains would weather this newcomer better than others, and Food4Less stood to lose nothing. Understandable! But I have a total mental block to shopping at stores which require a card for savings! Ain't gonna do it! Ain't gonna do it! Ain't gonna do it! Yes, just blasted stubborn!!!
I am a little different than you. Everyone has their pet peeves, yours is a card for savings, and mine is grocery stores that do not have self-checkouts. Smiths and Albertsons both have them. I made the suggestion to the Food4less near my house (Pecos and Flamingo), and it was ignored. Even if I go there early in the morning, they only have one register open with a long line. I will take having to swipe a little card any day over having to deal with that B.S. I will no longer go there no matter what sale they have. One thing I have noticed is Smiths usually has the same item on sale for the same price anyways (they are both Kroger).

Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I shop at the Flamingo/Pecos store, but I get off work at 6am, head directly for the store, and I've never waited in line at that hour!

I shopped at Smith's only once, after I moved here 16 years ago, and I also sampled Albertsons, and, perhaps, Smith's has changed in the 16 years since I shopped there, but at the time it was more expensive than Food4Less, and it simply does a job on my eyes to see dual prices, with or without a card. Total nonsense to me! I moved from an area of the country where I never saw a card-required grocery store before I came here, and I stubbonly refuse to participate in that madness!

Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I shop at the Flamingo/Pecos store, but I get off work at 6am, head directly for the store, and I've never waited in line at that hour!

I shopped at Smith's only once, after I moved here 16 years ago, and I also sampled Albertsons, and, perhaps, Smith's has changed in the 16 years since I shopped there, but at the time it was more expensive than Food4Less, and it simply does a job on my eyes to see dual prices, with or without a card. Total nonsense to me! I moved from an area of the country where I never saw a card-required grocery store before I came here, and I stubbonly refuse to participate in that madness!
When I used to have my job, I would get off at 6:30 in the morning, and multiple times there was a wait since they only one cashier open. The worst was when you had someone with a full cart in front of me. After a few times, I quit going there. Another one is Albertsons on Flamingo and Maryland. I would go there after work, and one day the self-checkouts were closed and there was a long line at one cashier. They informed me that they now are going to open the self-checkouts at 8:00 am instead of 6:00 am. I told them I am no longer going to shop there. I didn't, but now since I do not work, I just wait until 8:00 am before I go there.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,167 times
7.16 a Gallon? For OJ

Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
7.16 a Gallon? For OJ
I know! Robbery! for less than that you can buy the oranges, come over and I will juice them for you for free as long as I get a glass of it.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I know! Robbery! for less than that you can buy the oranges, come over and I will juice them for you for free as long as I get a glass of it.
Much healthier that way too.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:00 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
My guess is that this is not the first post in this forum that mentions both OJ and robbery, together!

Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
My guess is that this is not the first post in this forum that mentions both OJ and robbery, together!
Good catch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas