Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 10:28 PM

328 posts, read 726,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Since when did corn on a cob become a hot commodity? I go to Smiths to grab 4 pieces of corn and it looks like a bunch of people snatched and grabbed up everything. Is 4 for $1 that good?

Had Sweet Corn fromSmiths's today. Oh my, my husband wanted me to go back and buy more. Very good. I told him next weekend and he is off tomorrow so tomorrow he is going for himself. Plus next weekend I will buy some more.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:57 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I hope I'm not standing in line behind you, LVD, as you point out this and that from your flyers, using up the cashier's time, and aggravating everyone behind you! Frustrated, in a hurry, I might knock you over the head with a cucumber!

I just went to La Bonita the other morning and stashed up on cheap fruit! I love shopping at the Mexican grocery chains, but mostly for fruit, as I do most of my shopping at Food4Less!
I would not do that. I will make a small list and tell the cashier the price for each item. I did research the price matching before posting.

"We do not require customers to have the ad with them to honor a competitor's ad."

Walmartstores.com: Our Ad Match Guarantee

As far as those Mexican grocery stores, I went into one a few years ago. I felt very uncomfortable and would never step foot in one again, regardless of how good the prices are.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:32 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
U.S. District Judge Lloyd George must have been having a bad day last Thursday, as he sentenced Wiley, 29, the father of 2 small children, for his leadership role in 9 armed robberies, at convenience stores in Las Vegas, to 237 years and 3 months in prison!

Now think about it!! When he finishes his sentence he'll be 266 years old!
And who will hire him, at that age, to work for them? And think of all the grandchildren, great and great-great-great children he'll have greeting him when he gets out of prison!

I believe this Judge knows something we don't know, what the longevity of Americans are going to be 100-200 years from now! Now isn't that encouraging!!!
More like 175 years with good behavior.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I would not do that. I will make a small list and tell the cashier the price for each item. I did research the price matching before posting.

"We do not require customers to have the ad with them to honor a competitor's ad."

As far as those Mexican grocery stores, I went into one a few years ago. I felt very uncomfortable and would never step foot in one again, regardless of how good the prices are.
My wife and I took a bus ride down Tropicana Avenue a few years ago. We got off for stroll around. We went in a Mexican store, they had limes 3lbs for a dollar. We were impressed!!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
I LOVE Mexican grocery stores. I can't imagine why one would be uncomfortable in them. They always have great deals on things like limes and green onions and I can get a much better variety of chiles there. There is a major one here that has a Mexican liquor store right next door, so I can get good deals on a big variety of Mexican beers.

I also like Asian markets' prices but the ones here often smell awful because of the "fish market" so I shop fast. But it's the only place to buy tofu or miso.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:07 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post

I am a cashier at a Super Walmart and I deal with ad matching all day long. Most of my customers do like you and make a list. All the cashiers have a copy of all the ads if there's any question about something. I also have my own personal 'cheat sheet' that I write up from the ads. I will know all the produce and dairy ads but leave it up to my customers to let me know about regular grocery items. I also ad match automatically, if I know the price, and some cashiers get a little 'huffy' about doing it. Don't know why...it ony takes a few seconds. Ad matching plus coupons nets some folks a hefty savings. I've only ever had one customer that I had to have a manager to complete their transaction. TONS of ad matches and coupons! I say good job!

We have Food City here, which I suppose could be classified as a Mexican grocery store. They really do have some of the best prices, especially their produce. However, in a lot of cases our Walmart produce is better and we sell a LOT of it, at Food City prices. Fresh corn was 16 cents each this week.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:05 PM

208 posts, read 350,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I LOVE Mexican grocery stores. I can't imagine why one would be uncomfortable in them. They always have great deals on things like limes and green onions and I can get a much better variety of chiles there. There is a major one here that has a Mexican liquor store right next door, so I can get good deals on a big variety of Mexican beers.

I also like Asian markets' prices but the ones here often smell awful because of the "fish market" so I shop fast. But it's the only place to buy tofu or miso.
Hey Elle, have you ever tried tempeh? I just tried it for the 1st time a cpl months ago and really like it. I think it has all the benefits of tofu without the slimy consistency...i love the concept of good plant protein, but I cant get past the texture of tofu.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:51 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I am a cashier at a Super Walmart and I deal with ad matching all day long. Most of my customers do like you and make a list. All the cashiers have a copy of all the ads if there's any question about something. I also have my own personal 'cheat sheet' that I write up from the ads. I will know all the produce and dairy ads but leave it up to my customers to let me know about regular grocery items. I also ad match automatically, if I know the price, and some cashiers get a little 'huffy' about doing it. Don't know why...it ony takes a few seconds. Ad matching plus coupons nets some folks a hefty savings. I've only ever had one customer that I had to have a manager to complete their transaction. TONS of ad matches and coupons! I say good job!

We have Food City here, which I suppose could be classified as a Mexican grocery store. They really do have some of the best prices, especially their produce. However, in a lot of cases our Walmart produce is better and we sell a LOT of it, at Food City prices. Fresh corn was 16 cents each this week.
Great, thanks for the info.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:05 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuse View Post
Hey Elle, have you ever tried tempeh? I just tried it for the 1st time a cpl months ago and really like it. I think it has all the benefits of tofu without the slimy consistency...i love the concept of good plant protein, but I cant get past the texture of tofu.
It wouldn't be slimy if you bought it, brought it home, tossed it into the freezer for a few days, thaw..then squeeze out the excess liquid before cooking. It then becomes more of a spongy consistency, like a hamburger feel to it. I always do this. The only time I don't do it is when I use silken tofu for desserts, dips and mayo's. Never freeze the silken variety.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:14 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Are you saying Walmart will match the produce prices advertised at the Mexican markets as well? They can be very, very low sometimes.

Also, LVDrunk, you should give it a second try. Besides great prices on produce, you need to check out their bakery and freshly baked tortillas. Some great stuff. Also, their cheese department is really good. They will give you pieces to sample if you want to try something new. I don't speak Spanish, and most of the help spoke mostly Spanish, but I found them to be very patient and helpful.

Also, some of the juice in the larger sizes can be a bargain. Their home made salsa is good as well as some other deli items. I don't mess much packaged or canned stuff. Oh, also, they sell the marinating juice there in the gallon for chicken. It makes it taste like the chicken they sell at Polo Loco.

Have you been to this one LVDrunk. It is supposed to be the nicest one. Read the comments and I like to see the pictures as well. There's over 100 of them.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cardenas-mar...%20supermarket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas