Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 08:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
^^ The bugs got mine. Sheared them right off at the top of the soil line when they were small. I grow tomatoes and I get those nasty horned tomato caterpillars. Those things are ravenous. They can shred a small plant in a day.
I was lucky with my tomatoes earlier this year, but the peas and cucumbers were not so lucky.

I have no idea what is eating my broccoli.

I have tiny green caterpillars munching on the basil, cilantro and parsley.

Sent from cell...

Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
^^ That's odd about the cilantro and basil. The bugs in my garden tend to ignore the herbs. I think we both need some chickens, Von. I heard that they pick a garden clean of bugs in no time. Free range eggs, too.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
^
If it wasn't for the HOA I probably would have a couple of chickens among other delicious farm animals. My in-laws are always offering us goats, chickens, pigs and quails. Gotta say "no thanks" every time.

Every now and then the chickens get loose at the pig farm. Flooding the streets while on my way to work. The kids walking to school chase or get chased by them.

Funny stuff.

Sent from cell...

Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,805 times
Default Nevada is #2 on a good list

The tax-friendliest states for retirees

Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 AM

208 posts, read 350,315 times
Quote:
^^ That's odd about the cilantro and basil. The bugs in my garden tend to ignore the herbs. I think we both need some chickens, Von. I heard that they pick a garden clean of bugs in no time. Free range eggs, too.
Ive got 8 chickens and theyre pretty cool...very low maintenance and the eggs are great. I had a hen start sitting on a nest a cpl weeks ago...ive hatched eggs with an incubator but never had a "broody hen" before. Just went out this morning to let them out and I picked up 1 of her eggs and tapped on it and heard a little chick peep back at me...should be any day! Im so excited...im going to be a grandfather

Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM

^^ That's cool. You must have a rooster, then? Roosters are illegal in NLV city limits, but hens are not. I'd get a couple, but I'm probably moving soon and my HOA (as Von indicated above) would likely have a bird about it Congrats on your grand-birdie.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
^^He doesn't live in Las Vegas yet, so he can have his menagerie. I think that is so sweet, being a Grandfather to a chick. lol Also, if roosters are illegal in NLV city limits, why do I hear them all over while driving through the older parts of NLV? They are all over the place. Back when we lived in Hemet, CA, the only one's that appreciated the roosters in the yard behind me were my cats. Never needed an alarm clock back then. Although it was highly aggravating at first waking up that way, they had it timed just right for me to get up and get ready for work.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
I hear a rooster sometimes at my house. I live in Iowa, yes, but I live in the city. No idea where the bird is, but he usually crows around 2 PM. He needs to reset his clock!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:08 PM

^^ I think our fine city leadership just likes to pretend that the older parts of NLV don't exist. There are a lot of codes that aren't enforced out that way, but try leaving you trashcans out for two days up here and see what happens.

I had a duck in my backyard for awhile. I was watching it for a former boss who rescued it after an injury at Desert Shores. Nobody complained even though he quacked pretty loud at times. People in my hood tend to mind their own business, except for the HOA inspectors that can spot a weed in the side yard when it's just poked through the soil.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:27 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
^^ I think our fine city leadership just likes to pretend that the older parts of NLV don't exist. There are a lot of codes that aren't enforced out that way, but try leaving you trashcans out for two days up here and see what happens.

I had a duck in my backyard for awhile. I was watching it for a former boss who rescued it after an injury at Desert Shores. Nobody complained even though he quacked pretty loud at times. People in my hood tend to mind their own business, except for the HOA inspectors that can spot a weed in the side yard when it's just poked through the soil.
There aren't nearly as many HOAs here, thankfully, and none that I know if in my part of town. If they are in existance it is usually places like newer townhome communities where the HOA does yard work and snow removal. "Regular neighborhoods" really don't have them here. I had one when I lived in a townhome and all they ever really did was raise the dues. A lot.

There used to be 2 ducks that lived the backyard of a house a block from me. They also had 2 chihuahuas; amazing that they co existed! I would walk my dogs past there and the would bark like crazy at the 2 chis and the ducks...not sure which to bark at first

I eat a lot of eggs so I'd love to have chickens! SO would my cats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas