Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 09:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've never stayed in a Motel 6 that even came close to being a dump! It's such a nice luxury, not even telling the clerk you have a pet with you, and no extra charges.

I just checked the Motel 6 in Jackson, Wyoming, outside the gates of Grand Teton, one of the cheapest places in town: $156, and with taxes, $170! But then, I stayed at a Motel 6 in the Tenderloin area of San Francisco, last year: $135!

I've done some research, and I'll be staying in a smaller town, like Thayne or Alpine, just one hour's drive south of Jackson, where I can find a motel or cabin, pet friendly, for $75+!

I also insist upon, being a smoker who won't smoke in the room, an aisle balcony, or individual balcony, wherever I travel to. The new Motel 6's have done away with that aisle balcony, and I refuse to stay in the newer Motel 6's.

Yeah, I have to agree that the Motel 6's I have stayed in have been fine. Clean, comfortable beds, good price. Not a luxury stay by any means, but that isn't what they are designed to be. If I just need a place to sleep, I prefer to save money on the room and spend that elsewhere.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:35 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
tijlover - the Best Western the hiring hospital put me up in in Dodge City, KS, was a great hotel room. It had that little balcony outside with a chair that you're talkin' about. Nice hotel room and I love those desktop computers hotels have. I really needed one in Dodge City as my cell didn't get service there.

I'm gonna get a Straight Talk Wal*Mart phone or a Total Wireless Wal*Mart cell phone to take there. We're leavin' Monday morning. Will need ta be a cell that uses Verizon cell towers, hence the Total or Straight Talk cellphone.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:37 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yeah, I have to agree that the Motel 6's I have stayed in have been fine. Clean, comfortable beds, good price. Not a luxury stay by any means, but that isn't what they are designed to be. If I just need a place to sleep, I prefer to save money on the room and spend that elsewhere.
With my limited income, when traveling, it comes down to 2 choices: cheap room, nicer restaurant, or expensive room, dollar menu at McDonald's. My budget won't allow for both!

As for Jackson, there's a number of wealthy Hollywood & Corporate bigwigs that have bought property around Jackson, huge ranches, expensive homes.

It's the same, any time you stay in a city close to the gateway of a National Park, including Springdale, outside Zion, and West Yellowstone.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:50 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
I've been looking for better employment and thought some here might find it comical that the people who are paid to work on and optimize the traffic lights in this city make up to 95k a year. https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/...ems-technician

I don't meet the requirements but if any of you do, maybe we can clear out the dead wood there.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I've been looking for better employment and thought some here might find it comical that the people who are paid to work on and optimize the traffic lights in this city make up to 95k a year. https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/...ems-technician

I don't meet the requirements but if any of you do, maybe we can clear out the dead wood there.
I hope they find someone soon because right now the traffic lights seem to be synchronized by a sadist who enjoys annoying everyone with intersections where absolutely no traffic is moving and the lane that has the green light has no cars in it. Not to mention those 15 second left turn lights that account for about half of the red light runners we see.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:26 AM

Took a super nice walk with my ferret last Thursday morning (2-4am) in an area of Huntridge I hadn't been to before. Some areas of Huntridge are just so-so, some areas below par, some areas have some awesome homes, and there's areas that smack of wealth.

We tripped across Maria Elena Way and Bracken. Oh, oh, oh! Those 2 houses at that intersection, both with nice expansive lush green lawns! If ever I win it big, I'm going to knock on either of those doors and, no matter what the price they ask, I'll happily pay it! My favorite style of 60's/70's style of architecture. These houses were built to last 200 years!

To the south, there's a couple of more Way's, short streets with cul-de-sac's, just east of 15th & Oakey. Some truly luxury homes there!

Most of these luxury houses sit on the edge of the "bluff", before the streets go downhill to Eastern.

Also near Maria Elena Way/Bracken, it looks like someone bought 2 older homes, tore them both down, and built a huge modern mansion style house!

Tonite, we're off to explore more of Huntridge, more east of Maria Elena Way and north of Bracken!

There seems to be a unique breed of people who live over there in Huntridge, and I sense smugness, snobbishness, perhaps reverse snobbishness, but I shouldn't judge a house with just expensive cars in the driveways. Can't picture these people gravitating to the newer areas of town, master-planned or gated communities.

For those unfamiliar with Huntridge it's generally the area bordered by Eastern/Charleston/Sahara/LV Blvd. Wander over there some time, lots of pleasant surprises awaiting you! In the oldest areas, north of Oakey, up towards 6th street, you'll find narrow streets with no sidewalks! The area where the houses date back to the 40's.

Last edited by tijlover; 07-28-2015 at 03:38 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 08:22 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
That's Rat Pack-land! Love it around there. We have a client in that neighborhood and love to drive through to look at the houses. Adjacent to Paradise Palms, it shares a similar vibe..

Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 AM

I actually like Huntridge better than where the Mayor lives, Scotch 80's. Yes, I've taken walks, over there, as well, with my ferret, but it's so dark over there at night, almost spooky! With my night vision, I'm afraid of falling over there with those limited street lights. And with all that darkness at night, I would think it would be a burglar's paradise!

Old 08-10-2015, 05:06 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Big section of sunset by the airport closed off. Supposedly a hit and run by a semi with deaths. Got caught in that mess earlier.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Big section of sunset by the airport closed off. Supposedly a hit and run by a semi with deaths. Got caught in that mess earlier.

Hunt on for a red tractor with front end damage and a white trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas