Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 06:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
This might sound like a silly question. But does the metro police still pull people over for no reason? It recently happened to a family member of mine in Henderson. And I've heard a lot of things about the Henderson police.
Here's the thing I usually say about cops in the valley. ( First of all, Henderson PD is not metro )

The NLVPD will beat your ass.
Metro will shoot your ass.
Henderson will beat you and then shoot you.

I just saw an article the other day.. Do you all remember that Henderson cop who soccer kicked that diabetic guy who was already unconscious on the ground ? They just promoted him. I'll find the article and link it, along with the video of the original incident.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:43 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Here's the thing I usually say about cops in the valley. ( First of all, Henderson PD is not metro )

The NLVPD will beat your ass.
Metro will shoot your ass.
Henderson will beat you and then shoot you.

I just saw an article the other day.. Do you all remember that Henderson cop who soccer kicked that diabetic guy who was already unconscious on the ground ? They just promoted him. I'll find the article and link it, along with the video of the original incident.
I've been looking into a lot about the Henderson police the last few months. The ice cream incident in 2009, a guy getting kicked out his home in 2013, etc. And reports say it's one of the safest American cities.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Does anyone think the crime rate, especially property crimes, will ever fall in Las Vegas?
Sorry but LV does better on property crimes than violent. And they have been dropping for years.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
This might sound like a silly question. But does the metro police still pull people over for no reason? It recently happened to a family member of mine in Henderson. And I've heard a lot of things about the Henderson police.
I've memorized the borders to Henderson so I don't make the mistake of crossing over to encounter Phoenix-style cops. Problem with Henderson is there's way too many gated self-patrolling communities, leaving the police with nothing else to do but issue mickey-mouse traffic fines.

My last trip to Henderson was 6 years ago, after a scary encounter with the police there, haven't returned since.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:19 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry but LV does better on property crimes than violent. And they have been dropping for years.
Well, then, I sure hope they catch the tire slashers recently in my neighborhood! One of my neighbors had both front tires slashed, and another neighbor, up the street a ways, had the front tire of his truck slashed.

And did they ever find the shooters who drove along Pecos Way one night, 3 months ago, who shot out a number of car windows?

I haven't parked my car on the street, in front of my house, for 15 years now, given the over-sized garages at this older townhouse complex. And why these people choose to park on the streets? Too much accumulated trash in their garages!

Old 07-25-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Well, then, I sure hope they catch the tire slashers recently in my neighborhood! One of my neighbors had both front tires slashed, and another neighbor, up the street a ways, had the front tire of his truck slashed.

And did they ever find the shooters who drove along Pecos Way one night, 3 months ago, who shot out a number of car windows?

I haven't parked my car on the street, in front of my house, for 15 years now, given the over-sized garages at this older townhouse complex. And why these people choose to park on the streets? Too much accumulated trash in their garages!
If I ever moved to the valley, I'd make sure the apartment has a garage. Or if I moved to a house, might have to add extra security around the place. I have passionate dislike for thieves, especially home invaders.

Last edited by West of Encino; 07-25-2016 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-26-2016, 03:52 AM

As promised, here is the link to the diabetic beating in Henderson.

By the way, I went ten years without locking my doors, so your worries about property crime might be a little overblown. It does happen, but we aren't exactly overrun with robbers. The media likes to play up any story that gets views, so they make it sound like it's the Thunderdome out here. It's not.

Henderson Police Department promotes officer caught kicking man in head after traffic stop | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Probably a bunch of brats with too much time on their hands. This kind of nuisance crime ALWAYS goes up in the summer. It usually settles down when they go back to school.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
As promised, here is the link to the diabetic beating in Henderson.

By the way, I went ten years without locking my doors, so your worries about property crime might be a little overblown. It does happen, but we aren't exactly overrun with robbers. The media likes to play up any story that gets views, so they make it sound like it's the Thunderdome out here. It's not.

Henderson Police Department promotes officer caught kicking man in head after traffic stop | Las Vegas Review-Journal
These guys makes the LAPD look like saints.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:14 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I also see there is a vegetarian vs. meat eater debate. I will add my personal experience. It was not until I cut out all carbohydrates including fruits and vegetables, that I was able to lose weight. Out of desperation, I tried the ketogenic diet and it worked! All I eat now is red meat, cheese, butter and heavy cream. Coffee and water are my only beverages. I never could have lost weight if I was still drinking alcohol. And yes, I do know that vegetables and fruits are very nutritious, but IMO, they are not to be eaten if you are trying to lose body fat.
Glad to hear your success with a ketogenic diet, LVD!

You may have seen me comment here & there on this board; a ketogenic diet is exactly what I've been doing for the last year or so. I've dropped about 45 pounds; more significantly, my health has improved in just about every significant way, including:
1) Better energy levels
2) More mentally alert with ketones feeding my brain (better energy source than glucose)
3) Blood sugar is rock solid stable; I don't get tired during the day like I used to. No insulin swings or crashes
4) Blood pressure on the low side of pretty much ideal
5) No more chronic pain, which I've had for 15 years - for those with inflammatory conditions like fibromyalgia, spondylitis (me) & the like, ketogenic can help a bunch
6) Looking & feeling younger with body fat eroding

Friends who haven't seen me for a while can't get over the way I look; you might think it was the weight loss, but more often I'm hearing comments about skin tone & how vibrant I look.

The weirdest thing for me was probably cutting out bread. A lot more marginal stuff in bread than I realized. So much better without it. Biggest thing was cutting out sugars of any kind, especially refined sugar. Amazing how many bad things are linked to sugar & its derivations like HFCS. It's like the drug we haven't noticed since everyone legally inhales it.

LVD, I'd suggest incorporating more green veggies to keep your body in balance. They tend to be lower in carbs to allow you to stay in ketosis while still getting some balance & roughage/fiber. I try to incorporate salads into my routine & will sometimes have celery as a snack. About the only fruit I eat these days is pomegranate, it's a superfood. I eat a lot of eggs along with chicken/fish & try to get plenty of Omega3s. Nuts are my go-to snack. Perfect mix for keto & they satiate hunger between meals. Like you, LVD, I have switched from sugar-laden soda to coffee as a regular drink, either black or I have iced coffee with a sugar-free creamer (plenty of fat is fine).

To each his/her own, I respect those on a vegan or similar diet. I tried vegetarian for a while & it just wasn't for me, too much work to try to get the nutrients & energy I needed. With a ketogenic diet, I always have energy & can lose weight/fat without counting calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas