Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 09:18 AM

9,478 posts, read 12,217,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We are familiar with the general Tucson area as my mother lived years in Sierra Vista. In fact she had one of the world's great jobs. She was the chairman of the Democratic Party in Cochise County...They could hold all the democrats in Cochise County in a small coffer shop...but it got her sent off as a delegate to conventions and things which she enjoyed. And she and her SO took advantage of Fort Huachuca. He was a retired army colonel.

If you ever get interested it is a neat place. Bisbee, Sierrq Vista, Tombstone, Benson...Bisbee is where all the hippies went to die. We have an artistic friend out there who built a straw bail house in the middle of an ocotillo forest. Had a 5,000 SF steel shed with all sorts of weird artistic equipment. He bashed and burned and etched netal plates to make his arts. Had a little robot that tracked across things.
Another small Arizona town that I love is Jerome. Cute little shops and wine bars all perched atop a mountain with a view of the red rocks of Sedona to the north.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:34 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,413,458 times
If you ever get interested it is a neat place. Bisbee, Sierrq Vista, Tombstone, Benson...Bisbee is where all the hippies went to die. We have an artistic friend out there who built a straw bail house in the middle of an ocotillo forest. Had a 5,000 SF steel shed with all sorts of weird artistic equipment. He bashed and burned and etched netal plates to make his arts. Had a little robot that tracked across things.

Oh, I love Bisbee, lvmensch! I find it to be so interesting to walk around and just look at the old buildings. At one time (late 19th century) Bisbee was the largest city between San Francisco and St. Louis. The old Stock Market Tavern downtown still has the chalkboard up that used to keep people updated on how their stock was doing. You can play shuffleboard right underneath that chalkboard now. The shops, restaurants and bars are enough to keep me interested and the history behind all of it is fascinating. On Friday and Saturday nights Brewery Gulch is usually a hopping place - especially if St.Elmo's Tavern has a live band. Bisbee is sort of informally on my list of retirement town possibilities.

tijlover - I have a job application in at TMC in Tucson and got a Skype interview - the job would start in June if I happen to get it. I love Tucson and will always relate it to fun, as it was one of my places to go for fun on my week off from work. I worked in little 'ole Willcox, AZ, for 3 years and 8 months. About a month or so into the job in the summer of 2006 our boss changed our schedule to one week of work then one week off. One week off at a time! Willcox is 80 miles east of Tucson, so there ya go. I went two or three times across the border at El Paso to Juarez later when I worked in Alamogordo, NM. Everything went well - I went to a place called Washington Dental Service. I paid about 1/7th what I would have paid at my Las Cruces, NM, dentist. If I get the gig in Tucson, I will head to Nogales, Mexico for dental work, if I need it. Dental work is too much in America. Oh, medical visits, too. I had several Alamogordo friends recommend WDS in Juarez, and they were friends I could trust, so I went. Glad I did!

Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 AM

23,068 posts, read 28,783,425 times
I wonder if Washington Dental isn't a Mexican Border chain, as that's where I've been going to in Tijuana, on Revolution Avenue. I know a fabulous dentist in Algodones, went to him 2X, but I got tired of that long drive down to Yuma, 5-6 hours on 2-lane roads, and you need to stay over, so nowadays I take an early flight to San Diego, take the train to the Border, and take a late afternoon flight back, as Washington Dental opens up at 7am.

On my last trip, last summer, I had 2 teeth extracted, Xrays and a cleaning, for $80!

I was seeing a Dentist for over 10 years there, but he developed Parkinson's Disease, and he was getting a little too shaky for me!

Yes, Jerome, was yet another hippie haven back in the late 60's/early 70's. I spent some time in their cemetary on my last trip there. It sits at 5300+ feet in altitude, about the same as Bisbee!

When you go south from Phoenix you slowly gain altitude, 2400 feet at Tucson, and 3865 feet at Nogales.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:57 AM

990 posts, read 1,646,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Another small Arizona town that I love is Jerome. Cute little shops and wine bars all perched atop a mountain with a view of the red rocks of Sedona to the north.
True. Driving in Arizona last year I passed through Jerome. It's a most unexpected treat.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 AM

I will have ta check out Jerome sometime. Sounds cool.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:34 AM

I wonder if Washington Dental isn't a Mexican Border chain, as that's where I've been going to in Tijuana, on Revolution Avenue.

tijlover - yes, the brochure I got from WDS always had several border locations printed on it. They would pick me up at the Sunland Mall in El Paso and a guy in a van would say my name, that I have a dental appt. at a particular time, etc., so you know it's the place and not some shady character coming along. The van has the WDS name plastered on it, too, so that helps. The van driver told me "Nah, you're fine doing this, elkotronics. If you were doing this appt. about 3 years ago, some slight danger may have been possible, under Presidente Fox's Administration."

Everything went fine. TV, magazines, treats and soft drinks await you in the waiting area. Will go again - I miss the desert SW. I'm in KC, it's not a bad place, but I dearly miss the desert!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I will have ta check out Jerome sometime. Sounds cool.
It's an old copper mining town. Cool place. I'd like to go back soon. Nice views with a glass of wine at 6000 feet up! There's also a hotel there that is supposedly very haunted

Old 05-17-2017, 02:01 PM

Don't forget that The Copper Queen Hotel in Bisbee, AZ, is supposedly haunted, too. There are sounds of a person walking around upstairs when no one is known to be up there. Some have seen a ghostly figure of an older woman dressed in turn of the century clothing looking out for her man. The story goes is he was to return to her there but never did. She keeps on looking out for him.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,491,814 times
Phoenix. Lived there for a year. 1969. Went back in about 2011 with wife for her work. Dirty. Dirty in the '60's and dirty in 2011. No thanks.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Phoenix. Lived there for a year. 1969. Went back in about 2011 with wife for her work. Dirty. Dirty in the '60's and dirty in 2011. No thanks.
I find Las Vegas to be much dirtier. I comment on that every time I am in LV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas