Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 03:42 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
IMO it still shouldn't be that high. It must make people think twice before buying a new car. Perhaps its that high so they could brag about no income tax.

What is a slfpr? The Fast and the Furious is the first one, isn't it? If so, I miss that general time period circa 2000, 2001. Before 911. Before real estate values and the economy tanked badly several years later. The general mood of people seemed better, at least to me.

Point one, we should either charge cost for plates. (materials, employee time, fraction of building cost) and nothing more. OR insurance should be included in the price like Australia. Better coverage and cheaper too.

I have no clue what a slfpr is either. I miss that time frame because you could get a mkiv supra for a reasonable price.
They were 45k brand new. Not they are 70k thanks mostly to that movie franchise.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:51 PM

496 posts, read 365,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
My 2007 Honda Element was $89. My 2014 Kia Soul was $220
Yeah, if you use NV dmv fee schedule $1200 registration would be a one year old 96k vehicle.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:00 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I miss that time frame because you could get a mkiv supra for a reasonable price.
They were 45k brand new. Not they are 70k thanks mostly to that movie franchise.

I didn't know that movie had a large impact on the value of a particular used car. I wonder if some people thought: Too much money, I'll get the Nissan 300zx. Both cars used to compete with each other in the various magazine shootout reviews. My own favorite competition was the 300zx turbo vs. the Corvette.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:24 PM
EA

The hero car was a supra. You could get them for 20k before that movie. Now it's 70k minimum for a manual turbo model.
Low mile black targa manual turbos are over 100k.

I LOVE the first gen 300zx. There's 2 at my house right now. The second gen is the ugliest thing I have ever seen in my life. I hate them so much.

They weren't really competitive with the supra. They are hideously ugly with even worse interiors. The supra is a good looking car with one of the best dashboards ever made. The drivetrain on the supra is just godly. The rear end and transmissions can take 1800+hp drag launches. The engines can clear 1000whp on stock internals. They take to mods extremely well. Toyota overengineered the living crap out of the supra.

The 300zx not so much. The engine bay is incredibly cramped. They are hard to work on. The engines explode around 600hp. I'm not entirely sure where the trans dies because no one really pushes the vg30de beyond 600hp. But having had many z32 transmissions, I highly doubt they can take anywhere near 1800hp.
The rear ends start breaking around 400hp. But usually the axle stubs not the differential itself.

The aerodynamics is the only area the z32 does well and it's not even leaps and bounds better than the supra. Very small margin. That said, the z32 has a land speed record for it's class. 240mph on the salt.
One team built a land speed supra and didn't pass 240. There were some issues and they never tried again.
However, a 2jz powered supra ran a 5.97 at 240mph in the 1/4 mile a couple years ago which is frankly a lot more impressive than eventually getting up to 240 anyway.

At the end of the day the Supra is a true classic car with unmatched potential.
The z32 300zx is a dud. Nissan really dropped the ball with that car. They used an engine designed in the 80s. Stuffed it in a tiny bay. Let a potato design it. And then adorned the inside with burlap sacks. In my opinion it's the worst z car ever made.
The 240z-280z were light and nimble with classic styling matching British cars of the time.
The 280zx was a slight departure but introduced fuel injection and turbo to the line up.
The 1st 300zx was the fastest car in japan when it came out and beat the corvette in 1984. Bob Sharp and Paul Newman won a lot of races with the z31 chassis.
The z32 just sucked and killed the line until the 350z.
The 350z would have been a hell of a lot better as a z32 than the z32. The 350z is the ultimate 90s car, but wasn't made until 2003 when it was too late.
It's still a solid platform that's hard to kill but does not take to mods at all. The vg35 blows up if you up the power even a little.
The 370z is just a 350z with a body kit and inferior engine. It was outdated 20 years by the time it came out. It should have been a little lighter and featured the twin turbo engine the new infinities have. A twin turbo 3 liter v6.

I don't see a new z car coming out any time soon and if one does, it will be a disappointment like the current GTR.

The GTR was flat out amazing when it came out in 09. But it's still the same car nearly 10 years later. All the competition has caught up and passed it. They should have refreshed 4 years ago with more power and less weight.
If they take 1,000 pounds out of that car and bring the power up to 700 it will dominate once again.
But that won't happen. Nissan is just as boring as Toyota these days.

Toyota made a huge mistake not adding boost to the frs/brz.

Ok, I am done ranting about cars.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:51 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
IMO it still shouldn't be that high. It must make people think twice before buying a new car. Perhaps its that high so they could brag about no income tax.

I guess he ducked your question. Maybe they lie about the year of their vehicles or they know someone in motor vehicle department.

What is a slfpr? The Fast and the Furious is the first one, isn't it? If so, I miss that general time period circa 2000, 2001. Before 911. Before real estate values and the economy tanked badly several years later. The general mood of people seemed better, at least to me.
Yeah, the original. Good ole Mitsubishi is still around. He got paid a couple hundred bucks at the time.

Later on he modified it even more. It has Supra tail lights and cuts into the metal on the sides that look like flames. Those have LEDs in them. He was a mini trucker and serious car geek

Old 05-27-2018, 04:57 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Point one, we should either charge cost for plates. (materials, employee time, fraction of building cost) and nothing more. OR insurance should be included in the price like Australia. Better coverage and cheaper too.

I have no clue what a slfpr is either. I miss that time frame because you could get a mkiv supra for a reasonable price.
Slow, Loud, Fart Pipe , Ricer.

It's what minitruckers refer to lowered Hondas and such as

Old 05-27-2018, 05:34 PM
EA

Never once heard anyone use that term.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:51 PM

@EA: Nissan is now substantially owned by a French company. Quality went downhill, it seems. A relative's Titan blew the rear axle with relatively low miles. That wouldn't have happened with the old Nissan.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
add 15 cents a gallon to gas.. that money goes to cover the insurance, the more you drive, the more you pay.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:37 PM

Speaking of cars and Vegas, there was a race car driver that went by the name VRAlexander. I don't know if he was amateur or professional but I think he was known among car enthusiasts. He was killed in a race. At the time he was dating Learjet founder Bill Lear's granddaughter Allison Lear. Ms. Lear was a constable, which I think is a bonafide police officer. She is also John Lear's daughter. Mr. Lear was into researching ufos and aliens. He was also buddies with Bob Lazar, who claimed to have reversed engineered alien space crafts at the infamous site north of Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas