Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 10:53 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,154 times

Advertisements

Yep, you're right on about that. Another one they are doing is setting you up to be released just prior to the end of your 90 day probationary period so they don't have to begin paying any benefit package. Corporate has it all figured out that if they can bring in new meat every 3 months, they can max out how much each one makes for them. As many employees as possible turned over 4 times a year with no out of pocket expenses, well you do the math.

We ran into another one. In our case, my husband was hired and then had to take a medical. While taking the medical, it was disclosed that he is a cancer survivor and that was then reported back to the employer. I told him I would not be surprised if that job did not last more than 89 days and true to my suspicions, on the 89th day his employer called him in and told him the work load was getting light so he was laid off indeterminately.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Airics...sorry to hear the problems you're going through. Hopefully things will get better.

For all others considering moving to LV without a job already in hand, especially now, they should learn from your experiences. You might consider a thread or blog just for that. In one way, it would be a venting for you...while possibly giving you the good feeling that you might be helping someone else.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Yep, you're right on about that. Another one they are doing is setting you up to be released just prior to the end of your 90 day probationary period so they don't have to begin paying any benefit package. Corporate has it all figured out that if they can bring in new meat every 3 months, they can max out how much each one makes for them. As many employees as possible turned over 4 times a year with no out of pocket expenses, well you do the math.

We ran into another one. In our case, my husband was hired and then had to take a medical. While taking the medical, it was disclosed that he is a cancer survivor and that was then reported back to the employer. I told him I would not be surprised if that job did not last more than 89 days and true to my suspicions, on the 89th day his employer called him in and told him the work load was getting light so he was laid off indeterminately.
Right AND wrong jj....
to bring new people in every three months just to save a few bucks would destroy your business....In our office [hotel reservations] a new hire does not become truly proffecient for at LEAST 6-9 months...

The 89 day period for a new hotel allows them to over hire and then pare down their staffing to a working level and keep the very best employees.

as for your husbands case...he worked for an a$$hole company.

We are awaiting a transfer for a lady [pending release from her current department] that is currently undergoing treatment for cancer and we don't hesitate one moment....

Nevada is a right to work state....which means that the employer has the right to terminate your employment at any time...

To do so every 89 days would devistate a company.....

Old 12-12-2009, 02:04 PM

I say it depends on the nature of the business and the talents and expertise required of the employee. Bagging groceries, for instance, every 89 days. Ringing up groceries, every 89 days. Driving a truck between point A to B; every 89 days. Selling blouses in a department store; every 89 days. Unloading freight; every 89 days.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:
I say it depends on the nature of the business and the talents and expertise required of the employee. Bagging groceries, for instance, every 89 days. Ringing up groceries, every 89 days. Driving a truck between point A to B; every 89 days. Selling blouses in a department store; every 89 days. Unloading freight; every 89 days.
I would think that such behavior would flag the company with the state labor board for abusive practices.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i need some advice and tell me if i am wrong here.... At Costco, i was hired as a Cashier's Assistant which entails helping put the items in the cart, putting items on the belt at the register, and gathering carts. A few days ago (when it was pouring rain), i was scheduled to be at the register. As soon as I got to the store, i was put outside on carts in the pouring rain. After a few hours, i was soaked and asked to be brought in to a register as that was what i was hired for. They brought me in.... Well tonight, I was brought into the managers office halfway through my shift and was terminated. Reason being is that i did not like doing carts and whatever needed to be done had to be done... That wasn't the case, i explained.. I was soaked and did not want to get sick... that was all....

Was I in the wrong.... I am seriously considering going back to Cleveland. In the 25yrs, i have been working, i have never been terminated. I am so depressed and distraught right now that i don't know what to do.... Part of me says, the job wasn't for me.... Bachelor's degree pushing carts.. that'll make the family proud... the other half wants to jump off a bridge.
Airics, I am so sorry to read this. I think it was harsh of the manager to fire you like that. If the manager had concerns, it would have been decent for him or her to discuss this with you prior to making a decision to fire. Best wishes to you and yours. Don't let this discourage you. I think many employers abuse "at will" employment laws.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:34 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Wow, airics, that really blows. You may be better off, but that statement does not pay the bills. I do think many employers are using the "bad economy" as their reason for treating employees like dirt. Funny, many people say their company is not having a holiday party, giving hams, turkeys or gift certs for one, no bonuses...all because of this "horrible economic climate". BS! My ex's company usually throws a huge lavish affair...cut this year...not sure about the bonuses-BUT they are building one of the biggest machines the company has ever built, as I type. Obviously, without good employees, this would not be happening (the new machine, that is). I say, keep your parties, but at least give out a bonus! No party for my husband's company either. Not that I care, they were a pain in the arse, people always start out fake and then end up drunk and their real a$$ shines! Don't need it.

How is your wife faring with her employment situation? I hate to see you move back, but if you feel you are just getting beat down there, it may be better...definitely better than the bridge option! I am here in MI to tell you it is fricken freezing, windy, gray, and just plain UGLY!!! I know Vegas is chilly right now, but your temp beats 14 and as windy as a windy Vegas day! Can't go out for a minute. I thought my poor Lhasa was going to blow away the other day!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:20 PM

I doubt the state labor board pays any attention. I've learned in this last year there are very few governmental agencies to protect us. Recently I tried to take advantage of the making home affordable program that was made available. I met everyone of the criteria to qualify. After getting the run around for weeks from my bank, a bank that eagerly accepted bailout money and agreed to be part of the affordability program, they told me point blank, you qualify but we are not willing to do anything for you. I then contacted my congress woman who referred me to the Consumer Division of Commercial Banking and they do absolutely zip. Have me file a report and then never follow up. And lately the big news is they are discovering that of all the banks that were given bail out money, very few of them followed through with the Affordability program and again, nothing is being done about it.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I doubt the state labor board pays any attention. I've learned in this last year there are very few governmental agencies to protect us. Recently I tried to take advantage of the making home affordable program that was made available. I met everyone of the criteria to qualify. After getting the run around for weeks from my bank, a bank that eagerly accepted bailout money and agreed to be part of the affordability program, they told me point blank, you qualify but we are not willing to do anything for you. I then contacted my congress woman who referred me to the Consumer Division of Commercial Banking and they do absolutely zip. Have me file a report and then never follow up. And lately the big news is they are discovering that of all the banks that were given bail out money, very few of them followed through with the Affordability program and again, nothing is being done about it.
That is just shameful!

Old 12-12-2009, 06:00 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Moving back to Cleveland is not going to do Airics any good. This is going on everywhere. I would like to share another story. My best friend who still lives in Phoenix has been a correction officer for 15 years. He has always been treated well until the last year. First, they cut all of his overtime. He has always been getting steady overtime since he has been there. His wife had to get a job because of this, and they have 4 kids so it has been rough to say the least. Next, they changed everyone's shifts from 4(10 )hour days to 5(8) hour days. This makes another day of commuting which costs more gas, plus puts a strain on his family life. Now he told me they are going to start treating the long time employees really bad so that they all will quit. The reason being is he makes $21 an hour, while new hires only make $15 an hour. Currently he works at the woman's prison which is only 10 miles away from his house. He has been there for the last 10 years. Get this, they have now told him his is most likely going to be transferred to Florence. Not only would he have to work on death row, the prison is 95 miles each way from his house!!! He is praying this doesn't happen, but he knows it probably will. Things are going to get really bad IMO. My friend had always told me how he has the most stable job since he works for the state. This is not the case anymore. I have thought it was strange that I still have my job, but it is making sense now. I have worked for the same company for 3 years as of this month. However, I have never received a raise, I get no benefits, sick pay, vacation pay, health insurance, bonuses etc. Absolutely nothing in other words, and I am a full time employee. The flip side is they have no reason to hire someone else to take my place. In a way, I guess this is a good thing considering what my friend is going through. In the past, I would NEVER have said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas