Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Bu you have a job lined up. I dont. I have an interview but thats about it. Im also worried about jobs because I read something today about how 1 of 5 young people age 16-24 in Nevada cant find jobs Nevada teens struggle to find work - Monday, May 24, 2010 | 12:09 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun (http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/may/24/nevada-teens-struggle-to-find-work/ - broken link)

That as a 20 year old worries me even more so
I just read that article...they particularly stressed school kids during their non-school months.

Being that you're an adult looking for full-time work...it's a huge difference.

Generally, kids, have two things going against them. One, they might never have been employed before, and two, they are often only available during a couple summer vacation months.

Since neither of those situations apply to you, you should be high up in the desireable list within the demographic group.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
1. Don't you have some money saved up?
2. What's your hurry? In this economy it is hard to find a job, and you have a job there, so why rush into it? Save more money, and when employers start hiring again come on out.
3.On the other hand, necessity level brings out the best in people and they will do what they gotta do. I think, but I don't know, that you could find a job in a supermarket.
4.When I moved here I kept telling everyone that if it didn't work out I could always go home. I'm still waiting to see if it's gonna work out, but it has been many, many years.
5.People won't accuse you of failing. They won't even notice you're gone. I went home for a visit a year or two after moving here and people kept saying, "I haven't seen you in a couple of months. Have you been out of town?"
6. After you've been here for six months you will go back for a visit and you won't be able to stay that long. You will find you can't wait to get back to Las Vegas.
7. Las Vegas can be lonesome for a single guy.
8. You will buy an off road vehicle like a Jeep and you will go out in the desert with friends on your days off and shoot cans and bottles, and maybe jackrabbits. ...Oh, no, that was me.
9. You will remember the Nike slogan, adopt it as your own, and we'll see you soon.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
5.People won't accuse you of failing. They won't even notice you're gone. I went home for a visit a year or two after moving here and people kept saying, "I haven't seen you in a couple of months. Have you been out of town?"
So true. First time I left my home state of Michigan...I went out to work Grand Canyon National Park...then ended up teaching in Korea...traveling to Thailand and Nepal....then went back to MI for a visit.

Saw some friends...doing EXACTLY the same things they always do all the time. They hadn't seen me in awhile...asked me where I'd been...I gave them a quick brief overview - i.e. AZ, Korea, Thailand, Nepal. No questions or real interest about it...then one said 'hey, want to play darts?'

Then they proceeded to spend the rest of the evening telling me about all things darts-related - their dart team, etc. They might have been glad to see me...but I wouldn't put much stake into them thinking much about you and what you are doing or not doing!

Yeah, 100% agree, it's more of the 'haven't seen you in awhile?' category. Then years of being somewhere else, it'll turn into a 'so, where you living now?'

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 05-25-2010 at 01:14 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 01:20 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,568,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So true. First time I left my home state of Michigan...I went out to work Grand Canyon National Park...then ended up teaching in Korea...traveling to Thailand and Nepal....then went back to MI for a visit.

Saw some friends...doing EXACTLY the same things they always do all the time. They hadn't seen me in awhile...asked me where I'd been...I gave them a quick brief overview - i.e. AZ, Korea, Thailand, Nepal. No questions or real interest about it...then one said 'hey, want to play darts?'

Then they proceeded to spend the rest of the evening telling me about all things darts-related - their dart team, etc. They might have been glad to see me...but I wouldn't put much stake into them thinking much about you and what you are doing or not doing!

Yeah, 100% agree, it's more of the 'haven't seen you in awhile?' category. Then years of being somewhere else, it'll turn into a 'so, where you living now?'
Your original post made me laugh. I never knew darts could be such a big deal. It reminds me of a George Carlin bit he did shortly before he died about how people talk on and on about trivial things

Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Bu you have a job lined up. I dont. I have an interview but thats about it. Im also worried about jobs because I read something today about how 1 of 5 young people age 16-24 in Nevada cant find jobs Nevada teens struggle to find work - Monday, May 24, 2010 | 12:09 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun (http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/may/24/nevada-teens-struggle-to-find-work/ - broken link)

That as a 20 year old worries me even more so
disclaimer: I am giving you this advice as a tongue-in-cheek pep talk because I know you're gonna do what you're gonna do and no one can really talk you out of it. You want positive affirmation, let me break it down in a fun way.

1 in 5 can't find a job. That's 20%

A safe assumption is that 3 in 5 at that age are living at home, smoking dope and have marginal ambition. I would venture to guess most of their resumes find themselves in the circular file due to common grammar errors.

It's almost a proven fact that at least 1 in 5 at that age group have had a full on frontal lobotomy, their brains eaten by zombies or are slightly advanced. (as opposed to the politically incorrect mildly retarded)

Now, I am not saying you throw caution to the wind, but I can promise you, Davie, you size up fairly well against the competition here.

Stay focused and be prepared with tailored resumes for each job you consider applying for. Job searching is a numbers game, so get out there face to face with as many small businesses as you can. Time for your game face. Failure is not an option.

Regardless, you will profit from this experience no matter what the outcome. See the worst case scenario and see yourself coming out of it stronger and it won't be in vein. Have a backup plan that is more realistic, okay?

I hope you get out here, settle yourself with career-oriented work (find a mentor!) and go to school and have fun! It can be done, but you a flying well outside my preferred comfort zone, in the face of adversity and against all kinds of sage advice! What a thrill. I'm praying for ya!

Last edited by Spraynard Kruger; 05-25-2010 at 03:40 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post

A safe assumption is that 3 in 5 at that age are living at home, smoking dope and have marginal ambition. I would venture to guess most of their resumes find themselves in the circular file due to common grammar errors.

It's almost a proven fact that at least 1 in 5 between those ages have had a full on frontal lobotomy, their brains eaten by zombies or are slightly advanced. (as opposed to the politically incorrect mildly retarded)

Now, I am not saying you throw caution to the wind, but I can promise you, Davie, you size up fairly well against the competition here.

Stay focused when you come here and get the job done. It's a numbers game, so get out there face to face with as many small businesses as you can. Time for your game face. Failure is not an option.

Regardless, you will profit from this experience no matter what the outcome.
I'll second ALL of that.

Very true as well...

RESUMES/APPLICATIONS. Yep, I teach that stuff as part of my English teaching curriculum over here in Japan...and I did in Korea as well.

I've also spoken to many HR types of people who hire people based on resumes.

There are just a very high number of people who can just barely fill out of those things. They'd leave tons of empty spaces everywhere, no contact info, spelling errors, formating errors, everything you can possibly imagine.

I think a bigger challenge is for potential employers to find someone willing and able to do basic things - park cars, work in restaurants, do basic skills...you need people who are JUST acceptable enough to actually be employable without being too smart, you quickly lose to something better elsewhere - i.e. you lose them almost immediately after you train them - a financial loss.

From DAVIE's post...articulate, well-thought out person...willing to work hard (it's amazing how many people are NOT willing to work)...has a great head on his shoulders....etc.

----

I'm still relatively young...ahmmm...late late 30s. Growing up in Michigan...never a good economy anyways. But I always had a knack for finding a couple summer jobs real quickly...easily went to other states and abroad, and found work quickly. Even in MI, I remember other 'college kids' who couldn't 'find' work...always clueless as to how they couldn't, except that they must not have actually wanted to 'work'.

Everywhere I've ever worked, always had marginal co-workers and some great ones as well. But the marginal ones, are just a sure sign that for every kind of job and position out there, the employers are just desparate enough they actually hire quite a few of the otherwise seemingly unemployable.

In other words, I think DAVIE will be way up there for employer candidates...probably part of the reason the VONS employer is looking at him from afar...probably shows the desire, did the contacts, probably filled out the application correctly...all signs that we often take for granted are being done, but many who aren't employed, are seriously missing one of those key ingredients.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,227,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
disclaimer: I am giving you this advice as a tongue-in-cheek pep talk because I know you're gonna do what you're gonna do and no one can really talk you out of it. You want positive affirmation, let me break it down in a fun way.

It's almost a proven fact that at least 1 in 5 at that age group have had a full on frontal lobotomy, their brains eaten by zombies or are slightly advanced. (as opposed to the politically incorrect mildly retarded)

Stay focused and be prepared with tailored resumes for each job you consider applying for. Job searching is a numbers game, so get out there face to face with as many small businesses as you can. Time for your game face. Failure is not an option.

Regardless, you will profit from this experience no matter what the outcome. See the worst case scenario and see yourself coming out of it stronger and it won't be in vein. Have a backup plan that is more realistic, okay?

I hope you get out here, settle yourself with career-oriented work (find a mentor!) and go to school and have fun! It can be done, but you a flying well outside my preferred comfort zone, in the face of adversity and against all kinds of sage advice! What a thrill. I'm praying for ya!
I have taken Davie under my wing so he will do just fine.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,484,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have taken Davie under my wing so he will do just fine.
No wonder he's running scared!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:04 AM

450 posts, read 1,513,764 times
I felt the same way about a month before I made the move. My friends knew it would be the last time they would be able to see and hang out with me for a long time, so they started giving me the "You'll be back soon" or "You're gonna hate the summers, they're too hot", and anything else they could say to try and get me to stay. I did start thinking maybe they're right, but then I thought to myself, which someone already mentioned here, what happens in 20 years when I am stuck living here with a family, and can't move. I'll be kicking myself every day thinking "What would I be doing, making $ wise, etc, had I moved to Vegas when I could?"
It's not like you can never move back if things don't work out for you. My friends still complain about where they live back east, the jobs, the economy, the high taxes, the weather, yet heaven forbid I tell them it's 92 degrees, and they jump down my throat like, SEE!! TOLD YA IT'S HOT!!! Lol..I just laugh it off.
I think friends say things like that to you, because they're jealous that you're at least making an attempt to move ahead in your life. You found the courage to say, enough of this, I'm going to make a change, and you're doing it. It takes a lot of courage to do that, and yes it's risky. If they're you're true friends and family, they will be happy for you that you're trying to get ahead in life, and make decisions on your own. They'll support you no matter where you live, and they'll be there for you when you fall.
I knew 4 people when I moved to Vegas, and now through playing softball, i've met 6 more people that are the greatest people I have ever met in my life. These are the types of friends that would be there for me at any cost.
Davie, don't let other people decide your destiny.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,484,904 times
Davie, millions upon millions [think Carl Sagan there] people, including almost every tourist "say" they are thinking of moving to Las Vegas, every year. Only 5% (if you're lucky) actually do it. Be one of the five-percenters...and just do it.

If you were leaving a place like, say, Beautiful Upstate NY, I might say think twice...or thrice. But you're leaving a place like Orlando, which has many commonalities to Las Vegas. How much worse (or better) can it be to what you have now? You are on stage, my friend, and your the next performer up. It's "make it" or "break it" time. And if you happen to "break it", not much will be broken at this point in your life.

Remember, most successful people have failed many, many times before they succeed. It's how they handle that failure that makes them a success. Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald's Corp., was a travelling salesman, living out of a suitcase, until the age of 50, when he founded the famous hamburger empire...with just one store location! If you want inspiration, read his story..."Grinding It Out".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas