Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 11:57 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
True, but genes do play a role. G'ma lived into her 90s just fine, other g'pa still going, just celebrated his 95th. Grew up on eggs, meat, potatoes, smoked, had a few drinks now and then, still does. Sharp as a tack and still tries to drive. He has some arthritis which makes it a bit hard. Don't know if I wanna live that long, but it is good to know there are good genes in the family pool. Then again, anything can happen, I suppose.
Sure in some cases, genes can play a role. But, when someone dies younger, and their parents did, and so on, and heavy saturated fat was involved, you can see where that is going. Say a few family members also from that gene pool lived long and healthy lives. They stayed away from all the saturated fats, cooked their own foods and stayed away from all that processed crap they call food these days.
Not everyone has to follow in their parents footsteps or their grandparents.

Moral of this: Everyone has to do what they want in life. If they want to die young, then go for it. I for one, want to live forever. As long as I can still walk, talk, type and ride my bike. (but not all at the same time)

Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times
Congrats on your new job, airics.

I'm at my sister's place, we'll see how long I can maintain my sanity.
I spoke my friend Greg earlier, and he said that they managed to rent another house. He's going to talk to his wife about bringing me back. He just wants to get settled first.

Today was my last day with the Census. One of the big bosses got pissed off that my Crew Leaders brought me back w/o his permission. They were great bosses. They gave me money for clothes, and one of my bosses took me out to lunch three days in a row. The official reason that I got laid off is that there's a "lack of work", which is BS, since they're still pumping out the last little bit of it.

You'd think that this was a professional job, since it's the federal government running the show. Wrong, it's the biggest case of swinging dorks that I've ever seen. Personalities play into everything, and a boss have you fired if they don't like you.

I was on the books from 5/4 to today, and actually worked roughly 3 1/2 weeks due to their screwing up finger prints multiple times. Am I eligible for Unemployment Inssurance?

Old 07-24-2010, 09:49 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I thought Kenny Guinn was a pretty good Governor, despite wanting to raise taxes.
Too bad he died so young. Only 73.
I don't know why people think heart attacks are normal for people to have.
At least it was quick. Trust me, there are worse ways to go. People can takes years to die...losing bits and pieces of every working facility along the way. If I had my choice to die over 2-5 years, and ending up in diapers and needing to be fed and bathed...a heart attack at 73 wouldn't not sound so bad.

Given the recent healthcare debate, ending with Obamacare becoming official, there were discussions on how we, as an American society, should accept death in a more natural way. When it's apparent that one has reached the end...we then push it another 5 years...and the large majority of times, that is not a quality 5 years. The amount of money spent on that last 5 miserable years is enough to wipe out a lifetime of savings.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I'm at my sister's place, we'll see how long I can maintain my sanity.
I spoke my friend Greg earlier, and he said that they managed to rent another house. He's going to talk to his wife about bringing me back. He just wants to get settled first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I was on the books from 5/4 to today, and actually worked roughly 3 1/2 weeks due to their screwing up finger prints multiple times. Am I eligible for Unemployment Inssurance?
I would bet that your sister and her husband are not too excited about having to take you in...yet again.

JMO (since you continue to post this on a public board)...but I find your lack of gratitude and you willingness to constantly take and live off others, and the system, truly disgusting. It's almost as if you feel the world owes you something. And to post it all here on a public board, for all to see, would be embarassing to the normal person...unless you're looking for sympathy.

Last edited by jfkIII; 07-24-2010 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 10:21 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
JMO (since you continue to post this on a public board)...but I find your lack of gratitude and you willingness to constantly take and live off others, and the system, truly disgusting. It's almost as if you feel the world owes you something. And to post it all here on a public board, for all to see, would be embarassing to the normal person...unless you're looking for sympathy.
I've gotta respectfully disagree with you on this on jfk. I got the opportunity to meet both aqua and lvd this week, once you meet him you understand that he has some issues that restrict his ability to work, it is not that he wants to leech off anyone but given the economy and very few jobs available, he has been forced into the current position of being without a place to call home.

I truly believe that in a perfect world today, he would have his own place and he would be blessed to have his iggies with him. Unfortunately, the world is not perfect and he is only doing what he needs to do in order to survive. We have to remember to put ourselves in others shoes before we pass judgement.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
I've gotta respectfully disagree with you on this on jfk. I got the opportunity to meet both aqua and lvd this week, once you meet him you understand that he has some issues that restrict his ability to work, it is not that he wants to leech off anyone but given the economy and very few jobs available, he has been forced into the current position of being without a place to call home.

I truly believe that in a perfect world today, he would have his own place and he would be blessed to have his iggies with him. Unfortunately, the world is not perfect and he is only doing what he needs to do in order to survive. We have to remember to put ourselves in others shoes before we pass judgement.
Fair enough. I've actually met aqua, myself, and do know if his some of the limitation you speak of. I guess what really gets to me is the lack of appreciation that he expresses on this board for the things people do for him. If someone offers to buy him a beer...he says 20 year-old scotch and a cigar would be better. You, yourself, were recently generous with snacks from your business and asked him how they were. His response? Cheddar popcorn would be better.

It is not an obligation for average people to take care of others...they do it because they feel thay are helping someone less fortunate than themselves, which in turn makes them feel good about what they are doing. I'll never forget about the amount of waste of good food when I volunteered to help out for Thankgiving dinner for the less fortunate. It was if they felt that wasting food was what people who have it do. And the food was delicious...I had during my break.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I've actually met aqua, myself, and do know if his some of the limitation you speak of. I guess what really gets to me is the lack of appreciation that he expresses on this board for the things people do for him. If someone offers to buy him a beer...he says 20 year-old scotch and a cigar would be better. You, yourself, were recently generous with snacks from your business and asked him how they were. His response? Cheddar popcorn would be better.

It is not an obligation for average people to take care of others...they do it because they feel thay are helping someone less fortunate than themselves, which in turn makes them feel good about what they are doing. I'll never forget about the amount of waste of good food when I volunteered to help out for Thankgiving dinner for the less fortunate. It was if they felt that wasting food was what people who have it do. And the food was delicious...I had during my break.
I understand your point, it grates me to see someone ask for help and when I've offered food look at me like I have two heads and say they want money which is the deal breaker for me.

I am the point now where it doesn't affect me whether I get thanks or not. I'm more satisfied knowing that at the end of the day, I was able to make a difference.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:26 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times
JFK: This is the first time my sister and her husband have taken me in. I'm very grateful that they have, but have a tendency to brow beat me. Have you ever had that in tag team? I live by the old Russian saying, "Ask for a lot, but take what is given." I've never had 20 year old Scoth, and it's been quite awhile since my last cigar. Any statement of that type is a JOKE. I'm also very thankful for the goodies that Golf donated to me. He asked how I liked them, and I responded. There were two types of popcorn, and I simply stated my opinion on which one I thought tasted better.

Prior to my mother's death, and moving to Las Vegas, I had a very stable employment history. I had worked at one hotel for nine years, and would probably still be there if hadn't taken too long to recover from major life changing abdominal surgery.
No, I'm not asking for sympathy. I merely sought temporary foster homes for my dogs Any other greatly appreciated help provided by the members of this forum was provided at their own behest.

We post about the good things that happen to us. Is there anything amiss in sharing our troubles? We should draw together for emotional strength in these challenging times.

Perhaps I should post only empty platitudes, go back to lurking, or better yet - leave the forum entirely.

Golf: My thanks once again for your greatly appreciated help. It's helped stretch what meager resources I have. It was a pleasure meeting you, and if there's anything I can ever help you with (murder and treason excepted), you have but to ask.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
I would bet that your sister and her husband are not too excited about having to take you in...yet again.

All I can say is Aqualung has been very appreciative of my assistance, and has said it to me many times. Even know we are totally opposites in our views and interests, I will admit I am now missing him that he is gone.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
I think people are starting to lose their humanity, compassion, and patience. Maybe it has something to do with these challenging economic times. People seem to be on edge. Whatever it is, I have noticed that people seem to be far less tolerant.

Last edited by pommysmommy; 07-24-2010 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas