Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times

Advertisements

Lyra: The only good thing about my colostomy (or as they call it, my stink bag) is that if I ever get married and have kids (when the sun rises in the west), changing diapers won't be a problem. Yes, I'm alive, but I don't have much of a life.

MadMan: I am allowed to pee, shower, and shave, but that's it. I can just imagine what it'll be empty my bag when it rains. I doubt that they'll let me do it in the garage. I only had 10" of my colon removed, so to have your whole colon removed must be pretty rough. Thanks for the link to the group. I'll try to check it out, but it'll be hard doing it on my phone.

Pink: Even if didn't have my bag, I couldn't do activies like those. I'm too big for stuff like that.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 AM

208 posts, read 350,371 times
[quote/]
Pink: Even if didn't have my bag, I couldn't do activies like those. I'm too big for stuff like that.[/quote]

1 step at a time Brother...you dont go from unable, to able in a day...but dont say "I clouldnt do activities like those".

I was watching last years Ironman race in Kona (on t.v.) and they interviewed many of the people who were trying to complete an ironman. They had one "kid" with no legs. He swam 2.4 miles with no legs, he biked 112 miles and the only muscles he had to use were his glutes. I cant even figure out how you would move your "legs" let alone power a bike with nothing but glutes...he stopped after the 112 mile bike ride, as he realized he wouldnt complete the 26.2 mile run on time. He was disappointed but said he'd be back next year. They also had several cancer survivors, a stroke survivor who had been paralyzed on one side of her body 3 years ago, and a 79 yr old man who was completing his 20th ironman.

Several years before that I saw a tv special on a girl who had no arms and legs trying to swim across Lake Erie. It was amazing...There probably isnt a person on this forum that could swim 100yds swimming the way she did. She looked like she was drowning the entire way, but she did it.

Pretty inspirational "stuff"...so you might not want to do any of those things...but I really hate it when people say "I cant".

Accept the challenge

Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
What did you listen to?
A mix of deep house and smooth electronic grooves that I mixed. Happy to share it with you if you would like. I can put it up on soundcloud.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Ok, I'll reveal my big medical problem.

I have a colostomy, due to a perforated colon caused by diverticulitus. I have to be careful of what I eat, what I wear, and how I move. Colostomies can be very gassy, and produce a lot of BM.

I'm not allowed to empty my bag or change my wafer in the bathroom. I have to go out on patio and empty it in a trash bag there. To change my wafer I have to use wet paper towels instead of washing my stoma in the shower with soap and warm water. I have to stand up to put on my new wafer, which makes it harder to put it on correctly. I should be sitting down when I do it.

I've had bursts while I was working. One of the worst ones was while I was driving for A Cab. I had a burst, and it dribbled down my leg, onto my shoe, and onto the floor. I played it off that I had stepped into some dog poop.

Needless to say I don't tell many people, employers included, about it.

Now you all know my big secret, and why no women would ever want me. I did have one lady friend who was ok with it, but she died of terminal brain cancer when she was 36.
Whoa...way to bring the house down!...just kidding.

Actually, I've known of your medical problem for awhile from another poster who mentioned it to me, but did not want to refer to it until you mentioned it to me (or us) first. I can imagine it has its challenges, some of which I'm aware of because my neighbor (and good friend) has had a colostomy. I'd like to share some of the things she has passed on (pardon the pun)...but I'll do that in a DM to you (hint: none of that eggs and hot sauce that you mentioned you love!) I'll send that later tonight, as I'm busy at work today (August month-end reports).

Just curious...have you ever joined/participated in the ostomy support group in LV? They may have run into similar work problems, for which they can offer support. Here's the info:

Ostomy Support Group
Southern Nevada Ostomy Assocation
POC: Betty Mauck
Phone: (702) 452-5427
Meets: 2nd Tuesday of each month (no July or August meetings)
Time: 7:00pm
3186 S. Maryland Parkway

Lastly...IMO...even though you have this fairly major obstacle in your life...the goal should still be the same...to get self-sufficient and on yor own. If your BIL is belittling you on a daily basis...you need to make this happen soon...for your own mental state.

Good luck...I'll DM you later.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Sorry...just read MMoB's note on the support group...info is a little different from mine, which came from an American Cancer Society source. While I know that your colostomy was due to diverticulitus, and not cancer...the procedure (and dealing with it) are the same. Check both MMoB's and mine...as one or the other may be outdated.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times
TheCuse: Since I'm 365lbs, have pronated knees, a bad back, and diabetic neuropathy of my feet, I feel very confident in saying "I can't." I'm taking the bus to a free class on resume writing and interviews, and every time the bus lurches, my lower back flairs up in pain.

JFK: Thanks for the group's ph#. I'll give them a call later today.

LVD: Thursday would be better, since I do laundry on Fridays. Please e-mail me the particulars.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 AM

990 posts, read 1,654,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
TheCuse: Since I'm 365lbs, have pronated knees, a bad back, and diabetic neuropathy of my feet, I feel very confident in saying "I can't." I'm taking the bus to a free class on resume writing and interviews, and every time the bus lurches, my lower back flairs up in pain.

JFK: Thanks for the group's ph#. I'll give them a call later today.

LVD: Thursday would be better, since I do laundry on Fridays. Please e-mail me the particulars.
Have you applied for SSDI? Seems like with all your medical problems you should be eligible.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
A mix of deep house and smooth electronic grooves that I mixed. Happy to share it with you if you would like. I can put it up on soundcloud.
Sure, sounds interesting.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,049 times
Exercise is one of the top and best ways to cure depression. Try Skiing! no one would notice if you had a camel on your back under most ski outfits. Lack of exercise has been proven to be a cause of diverticulosis. Start small and work up to Iron Man. You can do this

Old 09-01-2010, 11:25 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,049 times
That video on Ostmeys (sp) was very helpful. My friend that is 22 has colon cancer and is really having a hard time. I will show her that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas