Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 12:30 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Good Morning Las Vegas....

So today is Aqualung's surgery. Im really hoping it goes well for him. I will try to stop in and see him sometime this week after his surgery. He will be at UMC on Charleston correct?

I was told I would get commission for signing up people for the KMart rewards cards, $4 per 2 people I enroll. I got my paycheck this morning to see I had a measly $1.50 in commission Instead of like $60 or $70 like I should have gotten since I sign up so many people for it every day. Yesterday when I was working the rewards table all day I signed up 34 people in a 7 hour shift. Luckily this week I have 36 hours rather than the usual 15-20 but that is only because of holiday shopping, After the new year my hours are going to take a major plunge

I still have another month before I turn 21, and as much as Id like to make myself believe that I could get a job on the strip, the competition is simply too fierce and my chances of being hired even after I turn 21 are slim to none. Henderson Nissan fell through, telemarketing fell through, and the strip continues to fall through again and again and again, I seriously feel like Im only going to be working menial retail jobs for the rest of my life. Its all Im suited for

As my debt continues to pile up matters are only getting worse and worse for myself. Im doing everything I can to be on top of things and have it taken care of. But things just get more and more hopeless as time goes on.

Sorry for the negativity, Im sure Ill feel better later today. But right now I just dont
All normal growing pains...don't let it consume you. You are more mature than most 20 year-olds I know. And guess what? These are the same issues you'd be faced with, back in Orlando, if you had tried to break out on your own there. So hang in there...I know you've got what it takes to succeed...anywhere you'd go.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Before your debt consumes you and ruins your life, perhaps you might want to "go home"...at least until you straighten out your financial matters, prospects for a job suited to your fields of expertise might be better off there, in Florida. At the least, you'll have the support network of your family there.

You can always come back to Las Vegas at a later time.
My family doesnt support me at all MomMom. My old job isnt going to hire me back, and one of the main reasons I came out here was to GET AWAY from my toxic family. I have a drunk father and an apathetic mother who try to get money out of me any way that they can, and make me feel like dirt any way they can

There arent any jobs in Orlando either. Too many people know me there and Im not well liked so I cant go back, besides its not like anybody there misses me. And the ones who would remember me if I were to go back would say "I told you so, I told you you were going to fail in Las Vegas, you shoulda just stuck with what you knew, and focused on Publix, we told you change is a bad thing"

Also I have a lease at my apt which isnt up until March, so it will be AT LEAST 4 months before I can leave Las Vegas, and go back where I "belong" as my family puts it. They always told me I had an obligation to help them and they were right.

Someone told me this recently and I realize now how true it is about myself "Everything you do is a failure David, you just cant win no matter what you do"

Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM

see my post above.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:39 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
All normal growing pains...don't let it consume you. You are more mature than most 20 year-olds I know. And guess what? These are the same issues you'd be faced with, back in Orlando, if you had tried to break out on your own there. So hang in there...I know you've got what it takes to succeed...anywhere you'd go.
jfk, the complements are truly appreciated. This bothers me so much because I am used to being able to have all the bills paid without a problem, no questions asked, stuff was paid in full every month before I moved here. Sure I was ok financially in Orlando but I was so unhappy that I wanted to move here come hell or high water. I knew it wasnt going to be paradise, but I didnt expect things to get this bad either

Im simply not making the money I used to. And its been an extremely difficult adjustment for me, being broke all the time that is. Its a huge blow to my pride, and it feels very emasculating and dibiliating and I feel like less of a man that I cant cover all my bills and provide and take care of my gf the way that I should

I feel like a failure around her because I never have the money that I need. We never go out together, partially because Im STILL NOT 21 and partially because we are so broke the both of us. She has no idea how much it bothers me that I cant carry the load

Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
My family doesnt support me at all MomMom. My old job isnt going to hire me back, and one of the main reasons I came out here was to GET AWAY from my toxic family. I have a drunk father and an apathetic mother who try to get money out of me any way that they can, and make me feel like dirt any way they can

There arent any jobs in Orlando either. Too many people know me there and Im not well liked so I cant go back, besides its not like anybody there misses me. And the ones who would remember me if I were to go back would say "I told you so, I told you you were going to fail in Las Vegas, you shoulda just stuck with what you knew, and focused on Publix, we told you change is a bad thing"

Also I have a lease at my apt which isnt up until March, so it will be AT LEAST 4 months before I can leave Las Vegas, and go back where I "belong" as my family puts it. They always told me I had an obligation to help them and they were right.

Someone told me this recently and I realize now how true it is about myself "Everything you do is a failure David, you just cant win no matter what you do"

Oh, I see. So then why not consider sub-letting your apt (if you can) and head to a state where there is economic recovery?

North and South Dakota, Montana, Indiana, Louisianna, Mississippi, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas..all places recovering nicely from the recession, probably plenty of jobs , too.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
jfk, the complements are truly appreciated. This bothers me so much because I am used to being able to have all the bills paid without a problem, no questions asked, stuff was paid in full every month before I moved here. Sure I was ok financially in Orlando but I was so unhappy that I wanted to move here come hell or high water. I knew it wasnt going to be paradise, but I didnt expect things to get this bad either

Im simply not making the money I used to. And its been an extremely difficult adjustment for me, being broke all the time that is. Its a huge blow to my pride, and it feels very emasculating and dibiliating and I feel like less of a man that I cant cover all my bills and provide and take care of my gf the way that I should

I feel like a failure around her because I never have the money that I need. We never go out together, partially because Im STILL NOT 21 and partially because we are so broke the both of us. She has no idea how much it bothers me that I cant carry the load
Work as a couple....as a team. I know you've never mentioned marriage (and please don't at your age!)...but that's how the best marriages work. It's a tough world to do it on your own...so do it together.

Please keep in mind...and I'm not suggesting to adopt debt here...but as one becomes an adult...especially in the beginning...we realize that things in life are not always going to turn out how we planned and envisioned. Early in marriage...and I got married at 19 ()... I had to pick whether to feed my wife and kid...or let cable TV go bye-bye, etc. We survived on one car...etc...etc. It's tough...I know...but when you reach the ripe age of, say 23, and things start to go better...you'll appreciate it more, and it will give you a true sense of accomplishment and independence. It's good for one's foundation to do a little struggling in life.

Today's just a bad day...a mere bump in the road of life. You seem so ahead of the normal video-game-playing slacker 20-year old that most are. I predict good things for your future...but it does not happen overnight. Anyone over 40....wishes that they could go back and do it all over again...you will too someday...its perfectly normal. In the meantime, look for the good in your life (go visit/volunteer at a children's hospital or a VA hospital if you need reminders.) Summation: try to enjoy the ride...and don't try to make things happen so fast.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:11 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:

I just can't hold my tongue anymore. I've avoided posting in reponse to your problems as it seems that everyone has advice or wants to tell you what to do as I've explained in my previous DM, but I can't stay quiet anymore.

Quite feeling sorry for yourself. Stop the friggin' pity party right now. You're not even 21 yet. I didn't get my stuff together until I turned 26, and even then it took 3 or 4 years for me to have it truly together. I let you know about a very viable option that could actually lead to a great career complete with early retirement and all the benefits a career in menial retail will not provide. Have you even looked into it?

Also, it is not your obligation to help your parents out. It is their obligation to help themselves out. My parents are very similar to yours it seems. My dad has been in debt to me for years and although my mom started to get it together, after staying with me for 4 years and working everyday she decided to go on a bender and stole my credit card to try and make up her gambling losses. BFD, life goes on.

I was 17 when my dad kicked me out of the house. I was 19 when I packed all my crap into a backpack and moved to Seattle. I worked full time at Burger King and paid $200 month to sleep on my ex-GF's sisters floor while everybody and their kids ate the groceries I took the bus to buy. Try carrying $80 worth of groceries (in 1992 dollars) a mile and a half from the bus stop to the apartment every week even though ex-GF's sis had a truck. My ex decided that Seattle wasn't for us, mainly because she wasn't having success finding friends and work although I was having great success with both. So we moved back to SoCal where I couldn't find work (main reason why we moved away in the first place). She eventually started cheating on me and moved in with the new guy. Needless to say I couldn't afford to pay the rent on the room we were renting so I was thrown out. Ended up living out of my backpack for three years or so.

If I would have had your attitude back then I would not be married, I would not have a wonderful son, and I certainly would not have ended up getting the job I did which will be a great career in and of itself or could lead to bigger and better things. I most likely would have ended up dead in a ditch somewhere. My only regret is not changing my path much sooner as the factor of time has closed many doors of opportunity for me.

Sorry if the post seems a little harsh. I'm not a very sensitive guy. Now get off your dead butt and make it happen!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
I let you know about a very viable option that could actually lead to a great career complete with early retirement and all the benefits a career in menial retail will not provide. Have you even looked into it?
AMWAY????

Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Sometimes it's easier to dwell in negativity, rather than let it pass and move on to a new day. I was also 26 by the time I got it all together and created a good life for myself. The purpose of being young is to learn from your mistakes, move on and try something different. You will make many mistakes, you are doing it now, it's a part of the growth process. We have all been there.
Don't go back to Orlando if it holds such bad memories. Also, your parents need to grow up and fend for themselves. I guess they thought by having kids that they expected their kids to support their bad habits later on. That's not the way it works.
Like MomMom said, go where there is work. If you can only find menial jobs here, then move on to something better. There is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but in order to find it, you have to change what you are doing, change where you are living. You went from renting a room in a nice area to living down in the muck of it all. That alone could be depressing to some people. You have to live where you look forward to coming home after work. If you aren't happy there, it filters into other area's of your life.

If you and your girlfriend are always fighting, you may want to really rethink that relationship. A good relationship, you talk things out, you do not fight all the time.

Also, change the byline under your name: As long as you see that your life is one regret after another, it will continue to be. How about something nice like: "Have a nice day." That will put a smile on someone's face and may make you feel better too.
You are only 20. So young and so intense. Quit being so serious. You'll figure it out someday. Rome wasn't built in a day, and you don't need to grow up so fast. Take your time, see the world, have fun!!! Then later on, settle down and work the rest of your life in something you really love.
Now go out and have some fun today. Go up to a mirror in your apt and make silly faces. Post them in here. lol

Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
There is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but in order to find it, you have to change what you are doing, change where you are living.
He,he,he...they're always after me Lucky Charms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas