Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 AM

487 posts, read 746,822 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I asked for a raise from my boss. She asked me what did I do that warranted a raise? I told her that I worked harder than anyone else in the company and she said "A donkey can work hard!".

Last edited by aitchem; 11-18-2010 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: shortened post

Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchem View Post
Many years ago I asked for a raise from my boss. She asked me what did I do that warranted a raise? I told her that I worked harder than anyone else in the company and she said "A donkey can work hard!".
What did you "say" after that?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 AM

487 posts, read 746,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post

I think she got me there.

However that simple sentence nearly 50 years ago helped me find direction. From that time onwards I realized hard work alone doesn't cut it. You have to bring something more to the table if you want to earn serious money.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
he said...hee-haw, hee-haw!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchem View Post
I think she got me there.

However that simple sentence nearly 50 years ago helped me find direction. From that time onwards I realized hard work alone doesn't cut it. You have to bring something more to the table if you want to earn serious money.
Very cool. I love hearing about life changing moments that set the course. And you are right...hard work is a really good thing but it's a tough world and the more you can bring to the table the better your life will be.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Wasn't it nice of me to set you up for that?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 AM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Im probably dooming myself to working jobs I will hate for the rest of my life but I do not want to go to school. Im not the classroom type. Not to say I wont make the grades, I just hate school because it bores me to tears. And I am such a procrastinator with homework that I know it would never get done and Id most likely flunk out of college just because of that.

There is the opportunity to meet some new people but I don't want to do that. Im too socially awkward with my generation and would rather not waste my energy with people who are going to hate me anyways. Thats one thing I've always thought about school, its a place where everybody hates me. I feel like school would be a waste of time. This is why I barely graduated high school. I simply didnt care about the work, and I was pretty much a loner though I still alwyas tried (with absolute ZERO success) to get girls. I was still able to graduate on time in 2008 albeit at the very bottom of my class. I didnt care

I don't want to nor have time to be social, I need to get to work. There are bills to pay

In other news I went to visit Aqualung at the hospital last night. He said he was doing very well. He seemed a bit slow to respond and seemed somewhat disoriented. The nurse told me I was the ONLY person to go and see him since his operation. I felt really sad when I heard that
Re: The visit to Aqua. The nurse should have said that you are the only person SHE SAW visit Aqua. Hospitals don't keep a records of visitors and nurses don't work 24/7.

She may be right but I'm just sayin......

RE: School

Many students that barely got through high school do well in classes that they take post grad. You HAD to take classes that bored you to tears while in HS but if you were taking classes in which you had an interest while working toward a career you might see school differently.

While you say you barely got through HS you did learn some valuable communication skills. You writing and grammar are good.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post

Many students that barely got through high school do well in classes that they take post grad. You HAD to take classes that bored you to tears while in HS but if you were taking classes in which you had an interest while working toward a career you might see school differently.

While you say you barely got through HS you did learn some valuable communication skills. You writing and grammar are good.
Exactly! College is so different. However, I do suggest a study skills class/time management class if you struggled. Mostly school is all about time management. Knowing how to pace yourself so you stay caught up. One lesson I learned was that professors tend to go slow at the beginning and then slam you with the rest of the material because they get behind. So I read ahead.

One class at a time. Don't look at the entire list you need to take. You can work on it slowly too. Also the community college is a great middle ground between HS and the University. You have smaller class sizes and most of the time actually get native English speakers for teachers. There's nothing like learning College Algebra from a guy with a French accent so thick you have no idea what he is saying. Or your lab TA who drops of the ending of his words, lol.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Im probably dooming myself to working jobs I will hate for the rest of my life but I do not want to go to school. Im not the classroom type. Not to say I wont make the grades, I just hate school because it bores me to tears. And I am such a procrastinator with homework that I know it would never get done and Id most likely flunk out of college just because of that.

There is the opportunity to meet some new people but I don't want to do that. Im too socially awkward with my generation and would rather not waste my energy with people who are going to hate me anyways. Thats one thing I've always thought about school, its a place where everybody hates me. I feel like school would be a waste of time. This is why I barely graduated high school. I simply didnt care about the work, and I was pretty much a loner though I still alwyas tried (with absolute ZERO success) to get girls. I was still able to graduate on time in 2008 albeit at the very bottom of my class. I didnt care

I don't want to nor have time to be social, I need to get to work. There are bills to pay

In other news I went to visit Aqualung at the hospital last night. He said he was doing very well. He seemed a bit slow to respond and seemed somewhat disoriented. The nurse told me I was the ONLY person to go and see him since his operation. I felt really sad when I heard that
Hmmm, I wonder where the kind sister and BIL are? Shame. I wish I were there, I would go see him. My husband said he would like to and we have never met him. My husband is not even on CD (that I know of) but he knows of Aqua's struggles.

Davie, I agree with the others on the education/military thing. BUT, it is you who had to commit to those things and only you know you well enough to conclude that you don't want to do it. College is different than HS in a huge way. It can be difficult, but the fact is you know you are doing something that you can control, for your future. It is a time and money suck, but well worth it. Time is going to happen anyway, right? Money and help can be found for school.

You are not into it. That doesn't mean that you won't be one day. Lyra is right, it is usually more challenging when you get older, only because life has introduced other obstacles that just are not in the equation when you are at your age. So, if you don't want to, none of us can persuade you to. That decision is made for now. Move on from it, for now, and concentrate on what you can do. And SMILE! Stop concentrating on what you DON'T have and work with what you do. Rome was not built in a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Re: The visit to Aqua. The nurse should have said that you are the only person SHE SAW visit Aqua. Hospitals don't keep a records of visitors and nurses don't work 24/7.

She may be right but I'm just sayin......

Agree, wholeheartedly! College was an awakening for me. All of a sudden I wanted to hear what the profs were saying. (most of them anyway!) AND I wanted to get good grades! In HS, I wanted good grades, but I was less inclined to work very hard for them. I just wanted them to happen.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Can somebody please lock this guy up until the new year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas