Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 03:09 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
If you are near the 95 you are going to hear police cars...that's all. Most of the time it's pretty quiet.

Also...I've called about the helicopters before...9/10 they are looking for a stolen car. Again when you live off of the freeway you are going to see more of that. And as we are close to the top of the list for stolen cars it's normal stuff really. Last year my kids elementary school went into lockdown because some guy who stole a car abandoned it and broke into a home across from the school creating a hostage situation. The homes in the area are all nice custom homes.

I don't sit around worrying about everything. It's life...you never know when you will be in a freak situation. Going with the odds CH is a pretty great and safe place to live.

I just wanted to add that you see crime like this in any big city. My parents live in another state in an area you would think would be safer but honestly you see the same stuff happening there.
We can actually see 95 from our front porch, and In-N-Out, La-Z-Boy, and the rest of the Centennial Center shopping beyond that, the noise of the traffic usually isnt too bad unless somebody is being an ass hole and revving their car, truck (insert vehicle with REALLY loud engine here) up to the red line

I just found it to be a little crazy that all those metro cars came tearing up the freeway headed towards the 215 and Durango exits, first time I had seen that in a month of living back here, and they didnt all come up at once, it was about one squad car every minute

I know crime occurs everywhere and more likely than not, it goes on behind closed doors in CH, it was just a rant is all

Old 07-20-2011, 03:13 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
The only time I am bothered by the Gestapo is when they shine the chopper light in my bedroom window...
A couple of months ago I got up to take a....well..you know...anyway I glanced out the front window and the entire street was FILLED with Firetrucks and people....the house directly across the street had caught fire and we never heard a sound......I heard NOTHING from the charleston Rainbow area....Once in awhile we'll here ambulances on 95 IF they're really wound up and playin with the siren.....

Old 07-20-2011, 04:52 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Aqua - you're right, Sarah Jane was the best companion of all and is sadly missed.
She was too young to die. Jelly babies are rubbish since Bassetts sold the rights.
If anybody wants some spotted dick, I'll bring a few cans in October!!
I've never had one, but I'd still like to try them. The Japanese have a lemon sucker type candy that used to be great, but they really wimped out. I used to them to work with me, back when I worked in CA at the Hotel St. Helena. I'd leave them (wrapped in plastic) on the candy dish, and then have fun watching the faces that guests used to make when they tried them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If not, they'll have to do a lot of groping to find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
This may be the one thing that even a TSA won't grope.
Meh...it's been quite a while since I was last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
You should all be ashamed of yourselves...what if an innocent person looking to move to downtown Las Vegas, find a job in a day and a safe place to live, stumbled upon this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
Hello there everyone! It has been awhile since I posted, not much has changed except hubbys health.
Went skiing on July 2nd. what a hoot
My best to you and your husband ski. I'll be sure to keep you both in my prayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I've been trying to reset my sleep schedule, staying up all night long, then half the day, then sleeping, then all night again. So that's my excuse since I'm not myself lately. My circadian rhythm thingie has been messed up for over a month now.
I think I *might* finally be reset at last. I will know by tomorrow morning.
I'll keep you in my prayers as well, Pink.

I'm a bit tired at the moment. I generally go to bed at midnight, get up around 5:30am, grab a bite to eat, take a quick shower, then get on the bus to get to AIT by 8:30am roughly. Our range time doesn't start until 10am, but I like to get there early. God willing and the creek doesn't rise, I'll pass out from the range this Friday, and start on the road on Monday. At this moment, I'm very tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Check the RJ stories. I think they are going to have to make major changes to their operation.

Don't pay well. But not a bad place to work...if they survive it all.
I need to find a part time job that'll help tide me over until I extern with Covenant. If anyone knows of anything, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
The last time I went skinny-dipping...I was skinny!
The last time I did that I was probably at my heaviest, back before I had my colostomy. It was at a place called Harbin Hot Springs back in Lake County in CA. I felt more comfortable there, then I ever have. I'd love to go swimming one of these days, I could us the excercise.

I'll post a photo taken at the Truck Show that was here back in June. I'm not on a computer that I can access it right now.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
Default It's Definately a Dry Heat!!!

Just got this alert in from Channel 3

"Dear MomMom

For the second time this summer, we epitomized a "dry heat!" The humidity at 3pm this afternoon: 1%. More than 30 states are dealing with heat advisories because of their heat AND humidity. For us... just another stroll through paradise, even though it's a toasty paradise. We'll keep the pattern going into the weekend, with temps not quite as hot Friday and Saturday. For more on the long range forecast click here. more...

Sincerely,
Meteorologist Kevin Janison"

Old 07-20-2011, 05:28 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
We can actually see 95 from our front porch, and In-N-Out, La-Z-Boy, and the rest of the Centennial Center shopping beyond that, the noise of the traffic usually isnt too bad unless somebody is being an ass hole and revving their car, truck (insert vehicle with REALLY loud engine here) up to the red line

I just found it to be a little crazy that all those metro cars came tearing up the freeway headed towards the 215 and Durango exits, first time I had seen that in a month of living back here, and they didnt all come up at once, it was about one squad car every minute

I know crime occurs everywhere and more likely than not, it goes on behind closed doors in CH, it was just a rant is all
Yeah...I hear you. It's never fun to hear about that stuff. One year after we moved into our house a 16 year old kid was caught trying to break into the home across the street. Other than a few wild parties it has been pretty boring and quiet here.

I'm in that shopping center all the time.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
The police activity probably had to do with this.
1 arrested after Vegas man shot in buttocks - FOX5 - KVVU - Las Vegas, News, Weather and Video

Some guy got capped in the ass and they brought the swat team in. I can't remember the last day there hasn't been a shooting.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Just got this alert in from Channel 3

"Dear MomMom

For the second time this summer, we epitomized a "dry heat!" The humidity at 3pm this afternoon: 1%. More than 30 states are dealing with heat advisories because of their heat AND humidity. For us... just another stroll through paradise, even though it's a toasty paradise. We'll keep the pattern going into the weekend, with temps not quite as hot Friday and Saturday. For more on the long range forecast click here. more...

Sincerely,
Meteorologist Kevin Janison"
Yeah, I'd like to invite this guy to spend a few hours out on the range. I'm getting to be a crispy critter!

Ok, let's see if I can get this bloody thing to work. I'm using the computer at the W. Charleston library, so please forgive me if I mess this farking thing up!

There, I did it!

Yes, I know, it's too big.

Last edited by aqualung8705; 07-20-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
The last time I did that I was probably at my heaviest, back before I had my colostomy. It was at a place called Harbin Hot Springs back in Lake County in CA. I felt more comfortable there, then I ever have. I'd love to go swimming one of these days, I could us the excercise.
How did that reversal process go that you had awhile back...successfully I hope. I know that that was preventing you from doing normal things in life. I am really happy for you that you've turned things around. Keep up the good work!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

I do not find the cop sirens to be anything out of the ordinary for me, living near a main freeway.
Stop and think about it! Is there any reason for the police to use their sirens in the first place?

When I was in NYC/Manhattan for 5 days a couple years ago I never heard a police siren. Mayor Bloomberg is on a campaign to make NYC the quietest big city in the country. Sirens on Ambulances, fire trucks permitted only. No car alarms either.

I asked the desk clerk at the hotel about it, and he said the police sneak up on criminals like a cat, suddenly they're there!

Think about it! You go rob a neighborhing 7/11 and how would you know when it's time to vamoose? Listen for the police sirens!

I say: let's ban police sirens!

Last edited by tijlover; 07-20-2011 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-20-2011, 07:39 PM

I'd post a picture of my scar, JFK, but I don't want to scare anybody. I've lost weight since this picture was taken. I was around 307lbs when I weighed my self last week. If I could find it, I'd show off the one dressed up as a Klingon desk clerk (taken a long time ago) where I was probably 400+lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas