Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I think it goes deeper then than that. There are Democrats who were happy to see the market fall as well. I suspect that some people made big bucks knowing in advance that the S&P was going to give the US a downgrade.
Soros by chance? It's been said he made a billion+ on the downgrade. It's a pretty interesting conspiracy. I'm not quite sure how far he has his hand up the puppet Obama's behind...but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

I tend to blame the current debacle not due to some vast right or left wing conspiracy...I think we have a decade of incompetency, rotten trade agreements combined with a moral/leadership crisis and a greedy, lazy, fearful populace. We get the government we deserve. They perpetuate fear and us vs. them. The media controls the mood...which is pretty much lead by government.

Numb me with the prospect of having no football. Make me forget about big brother by watching Big Brother.

I tend to think more people give more thought into where they are going on vacation than they do financial planning. So we have panic and volitility as a result of people not following sound investment principles.

I think the control mechanism is ripe for robbing people of wealth from every side of the political spectrum and it's compounded by investors who really don't know any better than to act on emotion...because there are so few advocates for educating otherwise smart people in what to do during periods of volatility.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 PM

579 posts, read 1,209,760 times
Quote:
I suspect that some people made big bucks knowing in advance that the S&P was going to give the US a downgrade.
Yep, the same people that knew the mortgage defaults were coming. A lot of people make their money betting against the market, and praying for crashes like these.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 AM

579 posts, read 1,209,760 times
Quote:
Numb me with the prospect of having no football. Make me forget about big brother by watching Big Brother.
Oh I agree. As a caveat, I love football, Big Brother and any reality show really, and fully admit I watch it to numb myself. Some people drink, others smoke, I undwind with mindless dribbble. That said, a lot of Americans do NOT focus on these issues, which do affect them greatly, because they feel helpless to change anything. When you are worried about whether you can pay your mortgage this month, or afford your meds, keep your job, or upgrade out of your section 8 apartment......then you don't care about debt ceilings and downgraded credit ratings. Although they SHOULD care, because it does eventually affect them, it's not an immediate problem to them at hand. So they ignore it. That's if they even understand it to begin with, and most don't. Try striking up a conversation about it with a neighbor or someone and watch their eyes glaze over. Ever watch Network? That film was nominated for a science fiction award. Nobody could believe that there would be the kind of tv programming we have on today. They thought it was a joke. Now it's reality, litterally..........

Well, I'm off to bed. Gotta take a shot of Jersey Shore and Hell's Kitchen before I hit the sack.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Soros wants to bring down the United States. He has said it flat out.

George Soros: The United States Must Stop Resisting The Orderly Decline Of The Dollar, The Coming Global Currency And The New World Order

Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Dummy me! Back in the 80's, I bought a slew of puts, banking on the fact the market was going to go down, and I'd get rich on the downside.

Oh well! There went 4k out the window! Market went up, not down! Never returned to the market after that.

I should have listened to Mark Twain:

October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The other months are Nov., Dec., Jan., Feb., March, April, May, June, July, Aug. and Sept.

Last edited by tijlover; 08-10-2011 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
And up 430 today........ touche'

Don't you realize that the gov't is controlling the market? The repubs want the worst so they can show how bad whosiwhatsit is in the White House... If the approval rating goes in the 30s, the dude's not getting reelected....
Still down about 700 over 3 days...even with the 430 gain.

I'm not ready to jump back in at this time.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:11 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Soros by chance? It's been said he made a billion+ on the downgrade. It's a pretty interesting conspiracy. I'm not quite sure how far he has his hand up the puppet Obama's behind...but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

I tend to blame the current debacle not due to some vast right or left wing conspiracy...I think we have a decade of incompetency, rotten trade agreements combined with a moral/leadership crisis and a greedy, lazy, fearful populace. We get the government we deserve. They perpetuate fear and us vs. them. The media controls the mood...which is pretty much lead by government.

I tend to think more people give more thought into where they are going on vacation than they do financial planning. So we have panic and volitility as a result of people not following sound investment principles.

I think the control mechanism is ripe for robbing people of wealth from every side of the political spectrum and it's compounded by investors who really don't know any better than to act on emotion...because there are so few advocates for educating otherwise smart people in what to do during periods of volatility.
You missed corruption. Take a look at the net worth of some members of the House and Senate and how they have gone up anywhere from 500% to 18,000% over the last few years. Take a look at how it is NOT a crime for politicians to invest with insider knowledge. Try that yourself and see if you don't get federal prison time. Ask yourself why anyone would spend hundreds of millions of dollars to get a job that pays under $300K a year and lasts 8 years at best. The Republic is dead. Enjoy the oligarchy.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
This thread was made today in the political section. It is really quite sad. I am posting this mostly for Pinkstring as I know she is going to want to read it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-monsanto.html

Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This thread was made today in the political section. It is really quite sad. I am posting this mostly for Pinkstring as I know she is going to want to read it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-monsanto.html
I used to work for whole foods back in high school. They pissed me off so bad with their hypocritical arrogant treatment of employees that I waited until the store was packed with people, took off my apron and walked.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Too good not to share

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas