Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
We stopped at the Borders at Town Square going out of business sale on saturday and the prices weren't the greatest, so ended up not buying anything. Most of the people checking it out left without buying. And lots of people sitting on the floor in there reading them for free. The kids section looked like a cyclone hit it.

I am so used to getting books in really good condition from the thrift stores, so if I see a $25 book marked down to $17, it's just not a great deal at all. Try $2 and I'll buy them all!
I can see why they are going out of business, their prices were too high. (for me anyway)
Besides thrift stores, I buy most of my books thru Powells.com. Buy $100 in books, and the shipping is free, right to your door, don't have to even leave the house.

Nice thing about Powells, they have categories of the same book title. Perfect condition you pay the most. Then there's other categories going all the way down to substandard condition with, perhaps, magic marker highlighting, and these are the cheapest of all.

I know there's other online bookstores, but Powells is reputed to be the largest used bookstore in the country, out of Portland. I've been to their 4-story bookstore in Portland 2X. I dare you to walk out of there with less than 50 books!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is for the guys in the forum. My neighbor who just left was hanging out with me today and we got into an argument. I think this girl is totally hot, and he says she is ugly because she has a big nose? Yeah, I have been drinking but I am not blind. I think she is totally gorgeous. Am I right or is he right? Here is two music videos. She is a singer in Belgium.

Lasgo - Lost OFFICIAL - YouTube

Lasgo Gone (OFFICIAL) - YouTube

I think she is far from ugly and also far from gorgeous.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:51 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,099 times
Quote:
This is for the guys in the forum. My neighbor who just left was hanging out with me today and we got into an argument. I think this girl is totally hot, and he says she is ugly because she has a big nose? Yeah, I have been drinking but I am not blind. I think she is totally gorgeous. Am I right or is he right? Here is two music videos. She is a singer in Belgium.

Lasgo - Lost OFFICIAL - YouTube

Lasgo Gone (OFFICIAL) - YouTube
Why would you worry about what he thinks about her? Just be glad that you won't have to compete with him for her attention if she every comes to Vegas.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Besides thrift stores, I buy most of my books thru Powells.com. Buy $100 in books, and the shipping is free, right to your door, don't have to even leave the house.

Nice thing about Powells, they have categories of the same book title. Perfect condition you pay the most. Then there's other categories going all the way down to substandard condition with, perhaps, magic marker highlighting, and these are the cheapest of all.

I know there's other online bookstores, but Powells is reputed to be the largest used bookstore in the country, out of Portland. I've been to their 4-story bookstore in Portland 2X. I dare you to walk out of there with less than 50 books!
$100 for books is too much at once. If I am going to do that, I will have 100 books to walk out with. As it is, I usually visit the local thrift stores once or twice a month and leave with about 7-10 books. Total: $7-$10. So you can see why i think Borders had such high prices even with their so-called discount. Also, I much prefer to see my books in person, and definitely do not want any highlighted books. I hate when people do that or they bend the pages and not use a bookmark. The majority of my books are read once and someone donates them, and I get them. Right now i have way too many, but I still found 7 of them the other day at goodwill.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
I always need a steady supply of books to read while on holiday,don't need them for Las
Vegas of course, but for when we go elsewhere on beach holidays. We have plenty of
thrift stores in my town which always have loads of books. A paperback these days in a
regular shop is about £8. In a thrift shop £1. No contest!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 AM

102 posts, read 275,253 times
I prefer taking thrift store books on vacation. Then if I finish a book I will leave it behind.
I recently purchased a Kindle and love it, but if I go to the beach I will still take thrift store books.
Here in the mid-west I find books at yard sales and library sales. Sometimes it is funny that an owner will think they should get 4 or 5 bucks for a used paperback book...I pass those by. I once bought my elderly mom 100 Harlequin Romances for a dime a piece...they looked brand new. Packed them in their own suitcase and took them to her in Florida. Well worth that price.
Never shopped for books while wintering in Vegas, but Goodwill is a great place to look.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times

For poops and giggles, I've been looking at homes for sale on Trulia. I .. never realized how bad it was out here I never seen such cheap prices on homes (and so angry at us that can't even afford to put a deposit on any of those, lol!)

...That, or things are just SO insanely over priced out here.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:52 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
For anyone who lives in Summerlin:

Check out this unique pizza restaurant:

Due Forni | Pizza and Wine

Apparantly they have been open only six months but are hurting financially. I looked at the menu and the food appears to be very good. It is always better to support local businesses than chains. If I lived out there I would definitely give them a try.

Here is the article about them I read today:

Small businesses hit by stock market crash - www.ktnv.com
I always support local businesses. If I want chain food, I can have it anywhere (except In-N-Out, they dont have that in FL...yet)

One of these days I will try Cugino's on Maryland Pkwy, luckily its close to work so I may try it one of these days when I get off work.

LVD if you want to try some REAL good pizza, you should check out the secret pizza place inside the Cosmo. A cheese slice is $3.25 an its definitely worth it, ALMOST as good as the east coast, not quite

Old 08-16-2011, 03:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I always support local businesses. If I want chain food, I can have it anywhere (except In-N-Out, they dont have that in FL...yet)

One of these days I will try Cugino's on Maryland Pkwy, luckily its close to work so I may try it one of these days when I get off work.

LVD if you want to try some REAL good pizza, you should check out the secret pizza place inside the Cosmo. A cheese slice is $3.25 an its definitely worth it, ALMOST as good as the east coast, not quite
Cugino's is definitely good. My friends who come from Phoenix always look forward to it when they visit. If you ever eat there order the Sicilian pizza. As far that place in Cosmo, I have also heard only good things about it.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suetalks View Post
I prefer taking thrift store books on vacation. Then if I finish a book I will leave it behind.
I recently purchased a Kindle and love it, but if I go to the beach I will still take thrift store books.
Here in the mid-west I find books at yard sales and library sales. Sometimes it is funny that an owner will think they should get 4 or 5 bucks for a used paperback book...I pass those by. I once bought my elderly mom 100 Harlequin Romances for a dime a piece...they looked brand new. Packed them in their own suitcase and took them to her in Florida. Well worth that price.
Never shopped for books while wintering in Vegas, but Goodwill is a great place to look.
The last few times when yard sale-ing locally, most people expected $5-$10 or more for their already read hard cover books. I guess they figured that they just paid $20+ for it, read it once, so someone HAS to pay them more. Never gonna happen. They eventually donate them because they can't sell them, then I pick them up for a dollar or two.
Books are like cars. Once you read it, it depreciates in value a lot. Once you drive the car off the lot, it depreciates in value immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas