Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 12:58 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,550,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
they tried banning booze in this country once and all it did was create a Kennedy Dynasty[daddy Joe was a rum runner]
Yep. Far too late to ban anything. The flood gates have already been opened. Like I said, address the core issue and everything else will follow. We're having continuous generations of youth completely lost and confused about what this world is all about. Disillusioned, depressed and distrusting. Our humanity is slowly slipping away and the only answer at the moment seems to be medication.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,904,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Also note that I am straight edge and very strongly believe in a poison free lifestyle. I abhor drug dealers and users as well as those that would push any type of impure lifestyle on anyone and I'm not necessarily very friendly with those that choose to pursue said impure lifestyle. I believe that drugs, alcohol and tobacco are a detriment to this world's youth and my vision of utopia would be a level of solidarity, purity, and unshakable loyalty to the notion of personal strength, character and positive thought and action the likes the world has never seen. However, practically speaking it is not my place nor the government's to tell people how they can destroy their brain cells or kill themselves. It is a losing battle that simply creates more victims. On the flipside legalization, regulation, and taxation would create a large amount of revenue and would cut down on crime.

Note, however, that I do not advocate giving away drugs to those that would abuse them or even setting up needle parks like those in the Netherlands. If you should choose to abuse drugs, so be it but it should be done in the privacy of your own home or some sort of establishment like a bar where my child does not have to watch your shoot up then puke all over yourself. I am a huge advocate of personal responsibility and if you cannot do what you do and still be a functioning, productive member of society then you can fall off of a cliff for all I care.

Also note that drug users for the most part do not end up in the state system unless they commit some other type of crime. You will not see someone down on a 24-60 month sentence for simple possession. Committing other crimes to support their habits is how they end up incarcerated in the state system. I don't know that legalizing drugs would eliminate this criminal element per se, and I know I mentioned it before but I REALLY have no love for drug dealers.

I like the way you think. I wish it were all that easy just to be able to FEEL that way and have life follow that path. But, as you see every day, it is not so for many, many people. Weak? Yes, but they don't care.

I don't know your history as far as dealing with loved ones who are addicts of one sort or another, but it does throw a wrench in the ole "fall off a cliff for all I care" line, IMO. And we can be the best role models for our children, no alcohol, tobacco, drugs, illicit acts, and that still does not guarantee they will follow that way of life. Some go completely opposite and believe me, you do NOT stop caring. I HATE drugs, all kinds, prescription or not. I realize people sometimes require them, but, I still hate them and I am not particularly fond of ANY doctors either, especially your "feel good" doctors. I have personally witnessed the ruin of good people from them.

That said, none of my children are addicted to drugs, but I know at least one of mine has played the game with them. Makes me sick, but fortunately she saw it was not good before it got real bad. Two are still young enough for me to be worried about it. Didn't matter that I abhor drugs and so does their father.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,328,669 times
Changing the subject a minute but if anyone is going to the airport from The Strip on Tropicana, give yourself a extra 15 minutes as they have construction going on at Paradise and it is now 3 lanes with all the taxis jockeying to make the right turn as the exit ramp is closed.

Just an FYI, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,828,005 times
kimba,

My family has a long and illustrious history of substance abuse. More than a few family members have met their demise due to drugs and/or alcohol and my son's godmother died of an alcohol induced seizure due to heavy alcohol and prescription drug consumption. I myself messed around with poisons when I was too young to know better. Fortunately I had the mental capacity and will to change my course. Of course I have always had the ability to self inventory and maintain objectivity even when looking within.

That said, I don't disagree that when one's child is involved it is much harder and perhaps not advisable to cut the ties due to principled stubbornness. I can only hope that I never have to face that difficult decision.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:12 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,904,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
kimba,

My family has a long and illustrious history of substance abuse. More than a few family members have met their demise due to drugs and/or alcohol and my son's godmother died of an alcohol induced seizure due to heavy alcohol and prescription drug consumption. I myself messed around with poisons when I was too young to know better. Fortunately I had the mental capacity and will to change my course. Of course I have always had the ability to self inventory and maintain objectivity even when looking within.

That said, I don't disagree that when one's child is involved it is much harder and perhaps not advisable to cut the ties due to principled stubbornness. I can only hope that I never have to face that difficult decision.
I hope so too! ("principled stubbornness"! I like that too, I might have to use that!)

So sad that a person feels that they have to live in an altered reality. I mean, I have my awful days, days that I could easily feel that an altered mind would be easier, but even when I do go out and have some drinks, I cannot imagine living every day like that. Too much passes you by.

Yet, I have brought this up to a few people I know who do drink or use weed or pills and their comments are, "well we don't know how you wouldn't WANT to feel this way". Shame.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:37 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,823,643 times
Quote:
that is the absolute stupidest comment ever made on this forum.you quite frankly do not deserve the benefits that this country offers.
+1

Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,613,056 times
Angry TRAPPED in LAS VEGAS

I can't leave!!!!

It's all Irene's fault.

She is keeping me stuck in Las Vegas for another week!!!

Damn her!!!

Jonathan

Old 08-25-2011, 04:39 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,992,731 times
How much do you have to pay a heriKane to trap you?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,613,056 times
Quote:
How much do you have to pay a heriKane to trap you?

Additional Car rental: $137.00
Additional Hotel charges: $0.00
Additional 'other expenses': $0.00
Staying a extra week in Las Vegas: PRICELESS

Jonathan

Old 08-25-2011, 05:29 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,823,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Additional Car rental: $137.00
Additional Hotel charges: $0.00
Additional 'other expenses': $0.00
Staying a extra week in Las Vegas: PRICELESS

Jonathan
I tried that excuse with my wife, but she knows we don't get hurricanes in Portland, OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas