Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 01:02 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,117,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
as much as I hate to say this the gravy train has a stop in centennial hills too, the walmart on 95 and centennial center was packed this morning, grocery carts stuffed with food, kids running all over the store pregnant mothers, single dads too. I went to walmart just about an hour ago to buy an outfit for a job interview and waited in line for 15 minutes because the lady in front of me had a wic check and bought 300 dollars worth of items on wic

just so happens afterwards her car was parked right by mine she drove off in a black escalade what a great country we live in

on a far more optomistic note I have an interview today for a front desk position at the cosmopolitan wish me luck everybody
I hope you get the job.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,109,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
and for what its worth before the lady got a chance to check out I asked if I could go in front of her since I only have 4 items she told me know and that I could wait, in a very rude and ghetto one of voice. 'yo ass can wait, I be waitin' in this damn line long enough'
SMH

Yeah that was pretty rude of her. WHen Im in those long lines at the store I just break out the cell and start playing Angry Birds. Helps pass the time.

Similar situation happened to me about a year ago but with a third party involved. I was in line with one gallon of milk waiting to check out. I had just got off work so I was still in my Air Force uniform. All the lines were pretty long but I didnt mind, I was on my cell as usual. The lady in front of me had 2 carts full of food with a bunch of kids running around. I was barely paying attention because of my phone and a magazine I picked up.

All of a sudden this much older guy came out of nowhere and suggested to the lady in front of me if she could kindly let me in front of her since I only had one item and was in uniform. I peeked up from the magazine but didnt make contact with anyone, didnt want to cause a scene. The lady loudly blurted out..."Who the hell is he???!!! I dont know him!!!!!". Well this comment offended the guy who turned out to be a Vietnam vet. He tried giving the lady a history lesson on freedom. She was giving him a verbal ass chewing. I sunk my head deeper in my magazine. The two got louder and louder. People started looking...

What saved the whole situation is that an employee open up another register right next to the chaos. Whew!! I shook the Vets hand and checked out right away.

Now I just try to stay away from the Wal-Mart on Craig and Nellis. Even though it is directly across the street from the base.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
SMH

Yeah that was pretty rude of her. WHen Im in those long lines at the store I just break out the cell and start playing Angry Birds. Helps pass the time.

Similar situation happened to me about a year ago but with a third party involved. I was in line with one gallon of milk waiting to check out. I had just got off work so I was still in my Air Force uniform. All the lines were pretty long but I didnt mind, I was on my cell as usual. The lady in front of me had 2 carts full of food with a bunch of kids running around. I was barely paying attention because of my phone and a magazine I picked up.

All of a sudden this much older guy came out of nowhere and suggested to the lady in front of me if she could kindly let me in front of her since I only had one item and was in uniform. I peeked up from the magazine but didnt make contact with anyone, didnt want to cause a scene. The lady loudly blurted out..."Who the hell is he???!!! I dont know him!!!!!". Well this comment offended the guy who turned out to be a Vietnam vet. He tried giving the lady a history lesson on freedom. She was giving him a verbal ass chewing. I sunk my head deeper in my magazine. The two got louder and louder. People started looking...

What saved the whole situation is that an employee open up another register right next to the chaos. Whew!! I shook the Vets hand and checked out right away.

Now I just try to stay away from the Wal-Mart on Craig and Nellis. Even though it is directly across the street from the base.
Not being offensive, but being in the military and in uniform means nothing to me or most anyone else. People that are in the military, or are veterans, are no better or worse than the rest of us IMO. We all serve this country by being productive and paying taxes. With that said, I agree with the vet that she was being rude and should have had the decency to let you get in front of her. As a single man, I barely buy much on my trip to a store. In the past, I have had many people let me in front of them when they have a full cart for that reason. Thankfully, most (but not all) places I do my shopping at have self-checkouts so I no longer have that problem anymore. I go so early in the morning on the places that don't anyways.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,979,635 times
yeh....we'll see how that philosophy works for ya when some nutcase decides to take us over....you'll be the first one whinin for the Military...

as for me....there is no possible way that ANY GI can be shown enough respect nor have enough privlidges to compentate for the job they do......If youre behind me Von ANYTIME....you 'll go ahead.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM

579 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Now it is done electronically on the cards
I know this was done for convenience and speed, and to squash the selling of food stamps, by making them electonically accessed with a pin number like a credit/debit card. The problem is that it has taken the "shame" away from using it. NOT that there should be any shame to a legitimate need and I feel incredibally bad for the kids, but it used to be that food stamp recipients would shop at "off" hours and pay with their food stamps kinda quickly and get out because they didn't like the association. People now look at it as free money on a prepaid debit card, that's what it's like. No one knows if they are paying with an EBT card or not, they look very similar. Now they take EBT cards at 7 Elevens so they can go purchase junk like soda and candy, it's ridiculous.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
yeh....we'll see how that philosophy works for ya when some nutcase decides to take us over....you'll be the first one whinin for the Military...

as for me....there is no possible way that ANY GI can be shown enough respect nor have enough privlidges to compentate for the job they do......If youre behind me Von ANYTIME....you 'll go ahead.
We have already been taken over by the international bankers with the Federal Reserve act in 1913. They run the military for their own selfish interests. I have no fear of real attacks because they do not exist. As far as whining for the military to help, no I won't. They sure did a lot of good by taking guns from law abiding citizens when hurricane Katrina happened.

"Watch our own military terrorize innocent American Citizens."

Gun Confiscation in New Orleans After Hurrican Katrina - YouTube

Some of these people were then robbed and were defenseless because of the military.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,979,635 times
Bullexcrement

Old 09-02-2011, 03:10 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,109,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Not being offensive, but being in the military and in uniform means nothing to me or most anyone else. People that are in the military, or are veterans, are no better or worse than the rest of us IMO. We all serve this country by being productive and paying taxes. With that said, I agree with the vet that she was being rude and should have had the decency to let you get in front of her. As a single man, I barely buy much on my trip to a store. In the past, I have had many people let me in front of them when they have a full cart for that reason. Thankfully, most (but not all) places I do my shopping at have self-checkouts so I no longer have that problem anymore. I go so early in the morning on the places that don't anyways.
This is another reason why I need to stop shopping at Wal-Mart. This particular place got rid of all the self-check out machines. Probably has something to do with people stealing.

Anyway.....

I'm sure a lot of people feel the same as you. I have no beef as to how someone feels about the military. I would rather nobody had an opinion about it, especially when I'm out in public in uniform. Wish people would just see it as a business suit or some construction coveralls. Those "uniforms" for those jobs/careers don't get any type if stigma or attention. I sometimes would rather not have the attention it brings(good or bad).

The BAD

--My uniform attracts beggers/homeless to ask for stuff because they know we have money coming in and a guaranteed paycheck. I have seen homeless guys skip everyone in the crowd just to get to me and ask for change. It usually goes..."Thanks for your service....Can you help me out"?

--My uniform also gets me called names like baby killer, stupid, throwing my life away, robot. War Monger!

--My uniform brings upon a false sense of duty by others. I witnessed a minor fender bender(nobody hurt) not too long ago. I happened to be in uniform at the time. This young couple asked if I was going to do anything about it. I joked and said..."Only military have cell phones"????

The Good

--But I do get pretty good discounts
--Get to meet and listen to some cool random war stories from Vets. This cop pulled me over my third day in Vegas and instead of issuing a ticket he gave me a warning and a story about how he hated G. W. Bush and his son in Iraq.
--Kids look up at me and give me a salute or sometimes look in amazement. I think its cool. Then their parents yank them away. lol
--At least once or twice a year I have had my meal taken care of by a random person. Sometimes I don't even get to meet this person.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:11 PM

I am going to add one thing regarding the military. I highly respect military members who are oath keepers. One of my fellow security guards is a 41 military vet who is an oath keeper. He and I agree on most issues and I respect him a lot. He told me to watch this video below, and I did. I completely agree with what it says too.

Pawns of War - YouTube

Old 09-02-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Bullexcrement
So that is all you can say? What happened in that video is all documented fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas