Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We'll park the old girl up at night. She loves American TV!!! Then we can go out for the night!! Stay tuned, Las Vegas for Christmas and New Year would be great.......
Great...then she'll be here just in time for The Yule Log...a big hit with the senior crowd. Endless loop of logs burning with Christmas music playing in the background...shown sometimes for 24-hours at a clip! Just make sure you dress up the eggnog with some extra rum.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Wasn't Las Vegas at the top of this list last year?

America's Worst Cities for Finding a Job - Yahoo! Finance

We are moving up...I mean down on the list.

Worst Cities for Finding a Job

Miami, Fla.
Number of unemployed people per job posting: 4.37
Los Angeles
Number of unemployed people per job posting: 3.48
Riverside, Calif.
Number of unemployed people per job posting: 3.25
Las Vegas
Number of unemployed people per job posting: 3.10
Detroit
Number of unemployed people per job posting: 2.75
That's nothing new, we've made another list. This time we're number #9 on the top 10 saddest cities according to Men's Health along with Reno and 3 cities in Florida.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Saddest cities? You've got to be joking. Las Vegas is the greatest place I've ever been!!
I guess it all depends on how you are looking at the place I guess. Everywhere is sad if
you're out of work and struggling to get by. But if you're looking at it as a visitor, there is
nowhere like it in the world.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Saddest cities? You've got to be joking. Las Vegas is the greatest place I've ever been!!
I guess it all depends on how you are looking at the place I guess. Everywhere is sad if
you're out of work and struggling to get by. But if you're looking at it as a visitor, there is
And therein lies the dichotomy between Tourist Vegas...and Residential Vegas!

Two different views existing so close together...yet a million miles apart.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:08 PM

You're right JFK, I'm very aware of what is going on in LV behind the bright lights. I'm
very aware when I'm walking the strip outside Caesar's Palace that there are people living
in tunnels beneath my feet. There is nothing I can do about this except visit, spend my
money, and hope these people get some help from the city of LV. I now have learnt just
where some of these tunnels start. If we get there this Christmas, I will go to Wal-Mart and
buy some bags of food, and take it to the tunnel entrances and hopefully see somebody to
hand the food to. As a tourist I don't think I can do anymore than that.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
You're right JFK, I'm very aware of what is going on in LV behind the bright lights. I'm
very aware when I'm walking the strip outside Caesar's Palace that there are people living
in tunnels beneath my feet. There is nothing I can do about this except visit, spend my
money, and hope these people get some help from the city of LV. I now have learnt just
where some of these tunnels start. If we get there this Christmas, I will go to Wal-Mart and
buy some bags of food, and take it to the tunnel entrances and hopefully see somebody to
hand the food to. As a tourist I don't think I can do anymore than that.
Generous...and you seem like a great guy...but I'd be VERY CAREFUL with that plan. It would be safer to check it in with a local food bank, IMO.

Listings for Food Banks near Las Vegas, Nevada
Community Food Bank of Clark… · (702) 643-0074
4190 N Pecos Rd · Las Vegas · Directions
Salvation Army · (702) 649-8240
1581 N Main St · Las Vegas · Directions
Fish Food Pantry · (702) 649-6522
1600 E Cartier Ave · North Las Vegas · Directions
Vegas View Church Food Bank · (702) 642-7730
1906 Glider St · North Las Vegas · Directions
Aubeta Networks-Food Pantry · (702) 696-0597
3355 Las Vegas Blvd S · Las Vegas · Directions

Old 12-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the advice jfk. I've been watching the news tonight. The Germans and the
French are getting their heads together about the European crisis. Our Prime Minister is
running around trying to look like an international statesman. I just laugh at all of them.
I'm just looking at what is happening to ordinary people here, europe and America. I just
feel like weeping. The banksters have got away with it. Ordinary people are picking up the
tab for their greed. When I visit America I see past the laughing people. I see the people
on Fremont Street, or should I say just off Fremont Street. The people with nothing. No
doubt many people think their predicament is their own fault. Maybe so in some cases, but
not all. Politicians, banksters and their cronies have got us in this mess. All I can do is come
visit and spread the cash.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 PM

127 posts, read 227,066 times
[quote=von949;21914987]
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I cant believe this made the news back home. This is not that uncommon at all. I can at least say that the sheep will be cooked and devoured by everyone. This usually happens to goats. Never seen a sheep beaten though. Im not going to say that all animals are beaten to death then eaten but it does happen.

Most of the time the neck is sliced with a large blade for a quick death. But these guys found a way to have some entertainment out of their meal.
Could be, but we don't really know that it was just for entertainment. When I was a child on the farm and it came time to slaughter a hog my grandfather would smack them in the head with the blunt side of an ax to knock them unconcious before slitting their throat. I assume that he did this to keep them steady during the process.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
That would be so fun for you and your wife!!! Exciting! I have not been there on NYE yet and was checking it out for this year but I don't know if I can pull it off yet. We'll see.

But, mostly I want to say that there are MANY residents who are just as happy as the tourists to be there. (for different reasons, of course) There are a few who would say differently, who creep around on this forum, (spreading ill will, continuously) but the fact is that they are either tourists themselves or people who would blame their bad luck on any "city" rather than their foolish mistakes. That is not to say that everyone should fall in love with desert living, just as well as it is to say that not everyone will fall in love with midwestern living. But people who don't appreciate the lifestyle or the weather usually don't condemn the city, they will admit it just wasn't for them.

The most annoying thing about this is that no matter how many times residents come on here and write about how much they love living there, it falls on the blind eyes of those select few people who continue to report that only tourists love it and all the residents are just sad folk. Think of it this way, when you are on the Strip or on Fremont, with all those "happy" people, they are not all "tourists".

Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Aliante's 3rd annual Tree Lighting is Saturday, Dec.3, from 3-5p.m. At Deer Springs Park(Deer Springs/Allen.)

Perfect for the kids. And you as well. Santa Clause and Mrs.Clause will be there, plus:
A Holiday Fire Truck Ride, Holiday Train Ride, Elf Face Painters(jfk would have loved this), Meet a Reindeer, Snowman and Toy Soldier(people dressed as them of course), Shadow Ridge Choir Group. Plus goodies: Cookies, Popcorn balls, Candy Canes and Hot Chocolate and more.

The Salvation Army Kettle will be there for donations and they are asking for unwrapped toy donations valued between $10 and $30 for needy kids that otherwise would not receive gifts. Make a child happy. If you cannot donate, go anyway and stay for the tree lighting. The weather is supposed to be breezy(windy), around 51 for the high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas