Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,417,601 times

Advertisements

von949...earplugs? I don't know, Idaho is one of those states where there seems ta be an abundance of dudes that love to shoot...things. I don't even want to type dogs in to this post but there are guys here who give the impression that they wouldn't mind offing a dog in a heartbeat.

And they have offered to shoot one or two of my dogs in order to provide relief for one of our crabby neighbors who yells out her window "Shut Up!" whenever she gets annoyed enough at them. Sheesh-take a chill pill lady. We never let them bark for more than a few minutes then get them back in the house. Some people evidently feel that if they have lived in a particular house in a particular neighborhood for a long, long time, that they have entered in to a "paradisaic era"...one that exists only in their minds.

You see...said neighbor's mind is operating in the mind zone that works in very mysterious ways...because this neighbor's mind is fixed squarely in 'The Twilight Zone.'

Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM

460 posts, read 984,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
The barking is pretty faint but goes on for 5-30 minutes. Enough to startle the baby. Not sure how close or far the dogs are.
I can sympathize. You might try one of these sound machines, for the baby's room. It is a "white noise" generator, and will drown out the sound of a distant barking dog. It makes a sound like a fan running, but it does not blow any air around the room. They have been on the market for many years, and are highly rated. I've even seen them in use at sleep clinics. I have one, and it works pretty well for covering up outside noise. You can save about $10 on the cost, by ordering from Amazon, instead of directly from the manufacturer.

Sound Screen Sleep Mate Sound Machines, White Noise Conditioners, Sleep Machines from Marpac offering the SleepMate, Sound Screen, and the Marsona

Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,113,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
I can sympathize. You might try one of these sound machines, for the baby's room. It is a "white noise" generator, and will drown out the sound of a distant barking dog. It makes a sound like a fan running, but it does not blow any air around the room. They have been on the market for many years, and are highly rated. I've even seen them in use at sleep clinics. I have one, and it works pretty well for covering up outside noise. You can save about $10 on the cost, by ordering from Amazon, instead of directly from the manufacturer.

Sound Screen Sleep Mate Sound Machines, White Noise Conditioners, Sleep Machines from Marpac offering the SleepMate, Sound Screen, and the Marsona
I will definitely look into one of these, maybe for myself also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
von949...earplugs? I don't know, Idaho is one of those states where there seems ta be an abundance of dudes that love to shoot...things. I don't even want to type dogs in to this post but there are guys here who give the impression that they wouldn't mind offing a dog in a heartbeat.

And they have offered to shoot one or two of my dogs in order to provide relief for one of our crabby neighbors who yells out her window "Shut Up!" whenever she gets annoyed enough at them. Sheesh-take a chill pill lady. We never let them bark for more than a few minutes then get them back in the house. Some people evidently feel that if they have lived in a particular house in a particular neighborhood for a long, long time, that they have entered in to a "paradisaic era"...one that exists only in their minds.

You see...said neighbor's mind is operating in the mind zone that works in very mysterious ways...because this neighbor's mind is fixed squarely in 'The Twilight Zone.'
Earplugs for an 18 month old?

I was thinking more of a silent anti-dog barking device. I could maybe buy about 20 of them and spread them throughout the neighborhood. I did a little research and found a crap load of them. I'm trying to narrow them down now.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,990,353 times
Quote:
I will definitely look into one of these, maybe for myself also.

Earplugs for an 18 month old?

I was thinking more of a silent anti-dog barking device. I could maybe buy about 20 of them and spread them throughout the neighborhood. I did a little research and found a crap load of them. I'm trying to narrow them down now.
Remember tho.....you would be silencing a few burglar alarms......

Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,823,352 times
Quote:
I spoke to my wife yesterday and she says that between 1am-2am some neighborhood dog's barking keeps waking the baby up. The barking is pretty faint but goes on for 5-30 minutes. Enough to startle the baby. Not sure how close or far the dogs are. Would like some type of deterrent for the night time barking.

I don't care if the solution is temporary. I just need something for the next 2 1/2 months till I get back and make some visits to some neighbors or dogs. I was going to order it online and have it sent to her.

Thanks anyone.
I worked graveyard for about nine years. I always used a fan for drowning out noises. Cheap to buy and run. You can point it away from the baby.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,550,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
I worked graveyard for about nine years. I always used a fan for drowning out noises. Cheap to buy and run. You can point it away from the baby.
Yea, a fan is an apartment dwellers best friend.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 PM

762 posts, read 1,556,347 times
A story, the other day I took my husband to lunch he is what RN's and others say is a "double transfer" meaning that it takes 2 people to move him. I can do it by myself still. Yes!!! I pulled out his wheelchair before him and had to go in and get change for the parking meter. I forgot the brakes on the wheelchair so I come out and it is in the middle of the street.
Cars were honking and driving around it.
No harm done.
If he was in his chair this could have happened 3 cars hit woman in wheelchair

Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,823,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Yea, a fan is an apartment dwellers best friend.
No apartment, just my own kids. Probably worse than neighbors.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:20 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,417,601 times
I do agree that people that just leave their canines out ta bark and bark and bark ad naseum-that's not right. We don't do this-and if we hear them barking we get them back in. I understand the annoyance factor involved. I refuse to "de-bark" my dogs-that falls in to the inhumane category.

It is when things creep into this kind of category that I feel that people should just get in to some Foghat, Tragically Hip, Guess Who and Drive-By Truckers and crank it up-problem solved.

Now, for a little baby, no, loud music is not the answer, agreed. I would consider one of those "white noise" machines mentioned earlier.

Has anyone found lvd yet? Sounds like he probably went to Phoenix.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,198,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Unforutnately, in supermarkets, the healthier the food...the higher the costs.
Actually, it's for the processed "health" foods, which turn out to be a lot like processed regular foods. Only the processed "health" foods cost too much.
I stick to natural organic when I can for produce, and some of that is priced too high, and other ingredients and make my own everything. Cheaper than the SAD (standard american diet)way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas