Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Davie: The Colorado river is fed mainly from snowmelt in Utah, Colorado, so that's what you need to watch for! I see Utah is getting plenty of snow this year, so thank God for that! Don't know about the snowfalls in Western Colorado!

I would guess the snow melt on Charleston, finds its way, somehow, into Lake Mead, and any rain we get here in Las Vegas, goes directly to the Lake, oil/debris on the road with it!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Davie: The Colorado river is fed mainly from snowmelt in Utah, Colorado, so that's what you need to watch for! I see Utah is getting plenty of snow this year, so thank God for that! Don't know about the snowfalls in Western Colorado!

I would guess the snow melt on Charleston, finds its way, somehow, into Lake Mead, and any rain we get here in Las Vegas, goes directly to the Lake, oil/debris on the road with it!
Lake Mead is nasty. And the thought of all the dirt, oil and debris on Valley roads running into the lake never crossed my mind until just now. Gross I will only be buying Arrowhead water when I return to Vegas. I wont even use the tap water to cook with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I read last year, the drought was so bad in St. Louis, basement floors were cracking, for the first time ever! Now that's scarey, scarey! Not enough Precipitation this year, it could be a disaster, for the whole country!

I'm just happy to see lots of rain/snow fall in California, as we depend on California for so much of our produce! And the rest of the country!
I love California produce. Produce grown here is pretty good too

One thing I have noticed about general produce is that it was cheaper in Las Vegas than it is here in Florida. Publix is currently selling both red and green seedless grapes from California for $3.99 a pound right now. Even though green seedless grapes are my favorite fruit, I wont touch them at that price, and I do not ever recall Smith's Albertson's or even Vons charging that much for grapes. Maybe $2.99 but not $3 or $4.99.

We also get in a lot of produce from Chile, mainly cherries right now which Publix is charging $6.99 a lb for as winter goes on, more produce will come out of Chile, peaches, plums, soft fruits, etc

What I don't understand is how we're charging a $1.69 a lb for both Florida and California navel oranges. You would think California oranges would be more expensive but they're not

Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
I think a lot of produce has gone up since you left. Every once in a while you will see a good sale of something, but it is seasonal, mostly. Grapes are pretty high right now, I believe.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Thank you to the fool who sent me another insulting message via a rep. A cowardly way to insult someone, but I can always use more points to get more stars.
[snip- not permitted] Merry Christmas everyone including the evil reppers even though they don't deserve it.

Last edited by observer53; 12-20-2012 at 03:09 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 11:14 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Thank you to the fool who sent me another insulting message via a rep. A cowardly way to insult someone, but I can always use more points to get more stars.
See you all next year maybe. I am out of this Las Vegas forum for now. Hope that makes you happy. Merry Christmas everyone including the evil reppers even though they don't deserve it.
I may have mentioned this before Pink, but what the cowardly fool apparently doesn't know is that the mods can see who repped you. Report the fool and let him/her receive a little extended vacation for the cowardly act.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Spent the last few days in Vegas and nearly froze my ass off. I don't remember December being this cold in LV. I guess I've become acclimated to the year-round heat of Miami Beach. I've never been happier taking a flight out of LV and back to 80 degree Miami. I'll stay down here through the winter now and wait till March/April to return.

Of course, I've always had a South Florida personality when it comes to weather. To give you an idea, My NV Energy electric bill is always higher in February than it is in August. I'll save quite a bit of money having the thermostat in Vegas set at 52 instead of the high-70s.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Merry Christmas everyone including the evil reppers even though they don't deserve it.
Don't let it get to you otherwise they've accomplished their goal. Happy holidays.

Last edited by observer53; 12-20-2012 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: removed deleted portion of quoted post

Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Lake Mead is nasty. And the thought of all the dirt, oil and debris on Valley roads running into the lake never crossed my mind until just now. Gross I will only be buying Arrowhead water when I return to Vegas. I wont even use the tap water to cook with!

I love California produce. Produce grown here is pretty good too

One thing I have noticed about general produce is that it was cheaper in Las Vegas than it is here in Florida. Publix is currently selling both red and green seedless grapes from California for $3.99 a pound right now. Even though green seedless grapes are my favorite fruit, I wont touch them at that price, and I do not ever recall Smith's Albertson's or even Vons charging that much for grapes. Maybe $2.99 but not $3 or $4.99.

We also get in a lot of produce from Chile, mainly cherries right now which Publix is charging $6.99 a lb for as winter goes on, more produce will come out of Chile, peaches, plums, soft fruits, etc

What I don't understand is how we're charging a $1.69 a lb for both Florida and California navel oranges. You would think California oranges would be more expensive but they're not
You don't have the Hispanic grocery stores out there, like Las Vegas?

Let's take a lookysee at the prices in the recent fliers for the Hispanic chain stores near my house:
Avocados: 5 for 99 cents
Fuji or Red Apples: 3 lbs 99 cents
Navel Oranges: 7 lbs 99 cents
Seedless Watermelon: 5 lbs. 99 cents (which I buy for my ferret, he loves watermelon)
Limes: 4 lbs for 99 cents
Bananas: 3 lbs for $1
Seedless Red Grapes: 2 lbs for $3 (Last week 2 lbs of seedless black grapes for 99 cents)
Canteloupe: 5 lbs for 99 cents

My roommate is not working, still, and I send him to these nearby stores for the bargains. Called cherry picking!

I'm not surprised by the high prices of oranges in FL. One time I was driving thru the orange groves of the Central Valley of CA, and I miscalculated I'd be able to buy the cheapest oranges in the country there!
OMG! They were more expensive than what I would pay here in Las Vegas! Go figure!

Last edited by tijlover; 12-19-2012 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: add words

Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Tijlover. I took a ride on the bus down Tropicana Avenue last visit. I went into an hispanic supermarket. I sadly, find what Americans pay for stuff interesting.

I was amazed at how cheap fruit and vegetables were in there. I remember the lemon and limes were 3lbs for a dollar.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
It's very cold tonight / this morning. 27 degrees at my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas