Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

When we used to drive around for fun (checking neat houses out) I was very, very good at finding Dead End and No Exit. Seemed to be quite a few streets with those names.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:24 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Some of my favorites in Henderson:

Freshly Brewed Ct.
Coffee Bean Pl.
French Roast Pl.
Doubleshot Ln.
Coffee Cherries Ct.
Italian Roast Ct.
Smooth Blend Pl.
House Blend Ln.
Rich Flavor Pl.

But then again, I roast my own coffee beans at home.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I'll take Coffee Cherries Ct for 600, Alex.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:48 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'll take Coffee Cherries Ct for 600, Alex.
Theres a street here in Orlando called "Lollipop Lane" in my grandmother's neighborhood...still kinda makes me chuckle...and just the other day I found the Muffin Man's street "Drury Lane" the the ghetto part of Orlando

Just an update, it doesnt look like the manager in training position at Smith's is going to happen...spoke with the person in charge of the district of Smith's stores on the North and NW side of town and he doesn't have anything available....I still plan to apply as a produce clerk just to try and get my foot in the door however...we'll see how that goes

Also the Wynn keeps sending me email invites for preliminary interviews that I cannot attend because I am still not in Vegas just yet...however Im going to keep my application fresh and keep applying and stay in touch with their human resources so I can get in on an interview once I get to town

Old 02-26-2016, 07:47 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
DavieJ89 - I just thought of something that I have just noticed you and I both have. That would be perseverance. I was voted "Most Persevering" in my Allied Health college training program I took in mid-Missouri that was from 2003-2005. And that does not mean best student or best employee. At least in my case it doesn't mean that - in my case I have to work hard always and I do not give up. If it's something I want and I really want it - be it a certain car or a ticket to my favorite rock show or a job somewhere I really wanna live - I will not give up until I achieve it.

Now if I am not able to achieve it I have ta tweak the plan - but giving up is not an option. I see a lot of that in you and I just want to say that I'm pulling for you and I desire to see you achieve, man. Continue going for it full out like I know you will (I ain't slowing down a bit, either) and you will achieve each thing you set out to get. I think that playing sports as a kid helped teach me the persevering thing, and I distinctly recall Dad telling me that if you don't reach out for a goal you not only won't achieve that thing you want but your bearings will not be planted firmly - IOW's if you don't hit the 'reset' button occasionally and determine where you're at at that particular point of time in relation to your big life goals, you will not reach them. You can't reach them by just striking out into the air - you will get some good exercise but you won't hit your goal.

It just hit me like a loose St.Louis brick that you have that quality - you detail it out on this thread - and I think that you eventually win forum members over with your tenacity. Good job - you will find what you're after in Las Vegas - just keep your feet on the ground and never give up. Life is filled with truckloads of sadness but we just have ta keep plugging away and we have to be determined. You are going to get there, I am quite certain of it.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:47 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Davie, why not try for a Costco job? They pay well, and you are young enough to keep up with the fast pace there. I think they pay better than Smiths to start.

Plus, Smiths is still hiring at many valley locations and it is a nice steady job as long as you show up every day and give it your best. We have stopped in several of the Smiths locations in the last two weeks. Our local in Aliante (Aliante parkway/Deer Springs), the location on Ann Rd/Decatur, Craig/Simmons, and Camino al norte/Ann, and each one is hiring. You will probably be required to work weekends to start. Just like any Strip jobs would have you do as well.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you in your move. A lot has changed out here since you were last here. So be prepared for some changes. Crime is up for one thing all over the valley. Join the nextdoor.com community for your neighborhood once you get settled. You can keep up with others in your area about crime and other happenings in your general area. Everyone needs to do this. The more people that get involved in trying to help keep their neighborhoods safe, the better. Better to be aware than to be blissfully unaware.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:15 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Davie, why not try for a Costco job? They pay well, and you are young enough to keep up with the fast pace there. I think they pay better than Smiths to start.

Plus, Smiths is still hiring at many valley locations and it is a nice steady job as long as you show up every day and give it your best. We have stopped in several of the Smiths locations in the last two weeks. Our local in Aliante (Aliante parkway/Deer Springs), the location on Ann Rd/Decatur, Craig/Simmons, and Camino al norte/Ann, and each one is hiring. You will probably be required to work weekends to start. Just like any Strip jobs would have you do as well.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you in your move. A lot has changed out here since you were last here. So be prepared for some changes. Crime is up for one thing all over the valley. Join the nextdoor.com community for your neighborhood once you get settled. You can keep up with others in your area about crime and other happenings in your general area. Everyone needs to do this. The more people that get involved in trying to help keep their neighborhoods safe, the better. Better to be aware than to be blissfully unaware.
In regards to getting a job at Costco, I'm a part time Lyft driver here in Orlando and I have a Costco employee a ride home from work the other night, he explained to me that Costco started most people around $11.50-$12 an hour, so yes I'll definitely be looking at Costco

As far as smiths goes, the person I've been in contact with is in charge of all the store in the north and NW parts of the valley, and he asked me if I was interested in starting out as a regular produce clerk as opposed to a manager in training. I said yes just on the simple fact I want my foot in the door. But even if there is no produce openings available, I'll take just about anything so I can hit the ground running with a job when I get there. The man said if I accepted an offer that I'd start one week after arriving so I could take some time off and relax and enjoy vegas for a bit before heading back to work

I'm pretty excited

Old 02-28-2016, 11:26 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
I applied at costco when I got here and then again after I quit driving cabs. Getting on there is probably not easy at all.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:15 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I applied at costco when I got here and then again after I quit driving cabs. Getting on there is probably not easy at all.
Doesn't a cab job pay much more?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
I was working 72 hours a week to barely make it. Working 40 hours a week to barely make it is an improvement.

Now I only have to work 5 months out of the year to make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas