Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 08:03 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Elle Tea - no doubt you've heard of the Yulin Dog Festival in June in China, right? That is totally sickening. I am so sick over this "festival". Dogs are raised and some are stolen on the way to the festival - that's right, they steal people's dogs on the way there. They are starved for days and poked with metal rods to begin the torture. They take them and throw them alive into pots of boiling water to peel their fur off. Their throats are cut (apparently in some cases) and their muzzles are duct-taped shut. Then they are fried alive with a blowtorch. No kidding. I am so sick because of this.

I think that a large intervention needs to happen. YouTube "Yulin Dog Festival" and watch the videos. The really sicko part of this (if you're not already totally sick because of this) is that these Chinese believe that the more they torture the dogs the better and more tender the dog meat will taste. Yes, they're not just wholesale murdering 10,000 dogs, they're frying them alive to sell the dog meat at this "festival."

Yes I have heard of this. It's disgusting. I'll never forget the image of a small child sitting next to the body of a deceased dog that was on display to be sold for meat. The child recognized it as her dog that went missing and was obviously sobbing. Can you imagine? Seeing your beloved pet for sale to be consumed?

I know of at least one woman who goes to the "festival" and buys as many of the living dogs as she can afford to give them real homes and a chance.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:27 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
That is not reasonable, that is insanely cheap. I was paying $60 a month for just state limit liability on a 1993 Geo Prizm. I am a 39 year old woman with no tickets, accidents or claims. I am not married and have bad credit. I tried to put full coverage with higher liability limits like you have, and they wanted $200 a month for my old Geo! You must be married and have perfect credit to get rates like that. I was also with Progressive until I got my company car.
Married for 23yrs as of 6/12, 48, clean record, platinum w/ progressive 10yrs, homeowner, bad credit. But even with a below 550 due to medical bills my car is financed at 5%. Funny though the oldest vehicle is the most expensive to insure. 2007 Honda Element $375 2014 fiat 500 $325 (wife's.. Mine was 225. Before I got the soul). 2014 Fiat 500L $250 2014 Kia Soul Hamster edition $225. All 6 month rates. No uninsured motorist coverage (I don't carry a passenger). I also don't have rental, windshield, or other crazy coverages.

I believe the rates are indicative on what damage the vehicle can do to another car. I "should" get rid of the Element but it's flexibility, reliability, and scarceness make me keep it.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:29 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Elle Tea - no doubt you've heard of the Yulin Dog Festival in June in China, right? That is totally sickening. I am so sick over this "festival". Dogs are raised and some are stolen on the way to the festival - that's right, they steal people's dogs on the way there. They are starved for days and poked with metal rods to begin the torture. They take them and throw them alive into pots of boiling water to peel their fur off. Their throats are cut (apparently in some cases) and their muzzles are duct-taped shut. Then they are fried alive with a blowtorch. No kidding. I am so sick because of this.

I think that a large intervention needs to happen. YouTube "Yulin Dog Festival" and watch the videos. The really sicko part of this (if you're not already totally sick because of this) is that these Chinese believe that the more they torture the dogs the better and more tender the dog meat will taste. Yes, they're not just wholesale murdering 10,000 dogs, they're frying them alive to sell the dog meat at this "festival."
Do you remember you and I participating in that bear bile thread recently? I have to wonder what is wrong with these people in China? I love animals so much and just cannot understand how anyone could treat them in this way. As horrible as this dog festival is, I do think the bear bile torture factories are even worse.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:30 PM

621 posts, read 538,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
No tax on food excluding prepared food like restaurants. I have 4 mouths to feed so the savings is quite substantial.
Oh, ok. They actually don't tax groceries in NY state either. About the only thing they don't tax here.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:42 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Do you remember you and I participating in that bear bile thread recently? I have to wonder what is wrong with these people in China? I love animals so much and just cannot understand how anyone could treat them in this way. As horrible as this dog festival is, I do think the bear bile torture factories are even worse.

Yes, I do remember and I still can't believe how awful and sick these people are. This should not be allowed ta go on and something has ta be done. We are not alone as animal lovers and a petition has been going around on the net for weeks to protest and try to get the Chinese government to stop Yulin, but I haven't heard anything about it. I just can't sit still and look at the horror on those babies faces. That is not like American farm animal slaughtering, which is sick and gross enough as it is.

The Chinese method is based on a false, goofy and sickening psycho-religious belief system that grossly, grossly victimizes dogs and cats. Torture is where the government needs ta get off their duffs and intervene. The bile from bears is at least as sickening or worse. It was heartbreaking because a zoo over in Garden City, KS, has a couple of those Asian bears, and they're absolutely adorable. The fact that that mother bear in China murdered her cub and committed suicide to stop her own pain and torture says a lot towards how sick and cruel these people are allowed to be.

Yes, that poor girl should have never had ta see her pet dog there after being fried alive. I mean, they're stealing people's dogs and torching them alive before their owners can retrieve them. Some kind of government with power, strength and morals needs to stop this animal abuse very, very soon.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:20 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
You guys eat steak and bacon right? What is the difference between a cow and a dog?

They're both delicious. If you have a problem with eating one type of animal but not another you're experiencing cognitive dissonance. Just because fido is cuter than bessie doesn't mean fido is more alive or worthy than bessie.
Pigs are one of the smartest animals on the planet and we have no problem killing them for food.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:02 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Moderator cut: .

I just had my 1985 Toyota Supra in for its annual check-up, even though it's running like a charm, and I wanted my mechanic to fix my driver's side window which is stuck. Not surprisingly, he said he couldn't find the parts for it. I then told him: Yeah! I know! Car manufacturers, by law, must only keep a 20-year supply of parts.

"Really? Who told you that? I've got 10YO cars coming here I can't find parts for! And Chrysler-Dodge is the worst for keeping parts!"

One of my Guatemalan massage clients was over last week, and he told me of 3 Mexican auto repair places in town where they'll fix anything, one being on Washington/Rancho, another on Smoke Ranch/Rancho and one across from the Broadacre's Swap Meet!

So, I'll check them out! It's no big deal, as I can still power up/down my passenger window and my electronic moon roof!

So let this be a warning, proven or unproven, about buying a Chrysler Dodge product, particularly if you wish to keep it for a decade or 2!

Last edited by yellowbelle; 06-01-2016 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: quoted post has been deleted

Old 05-31-2016, 10:11 PM
EA

Yeah, it's only 10 years that they have to keep parts for. This is why I jumped on a complete parts car for my 85 cressida.
I pulled everything off it. Windows, window motors, trim pieces, seat belts, all that stuff.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:39 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Yeah, it's only 10 years that they have to keep parts for. This is why I jumped on a complete parts car for my 85 cressida.
I pulled everything off it. Windows, window motors, trim pieces, seat belts, all that stuff.
From what I understand, the same motor that went into the Cressida's was the same motor they used for the Toyota Supra!

I did strip some moldings off an 85 Toyota Supra at Pick-a-Parts one time which I'm keeping in storage.

Now I understand why older cars are more prone to being stolen than newer cars!

Old 05-31-2016, 10:53 PM
EA

Yep. I have the same 5mge as you have in your supra. Your car weighs a bit less so it's a bit faster. All of the work to my car will be functional. I am keeping cosmetics alone to deter theft. It was ragged on and spray painted by the previous owner. Great way to avoid theft and people won't want to park next to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas