Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,106 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. I went down there today, and found out that I have to take the test on Monday. The computers were down today, but that's ok. It'll give me more time to study for the test. I asked the registration lady, and she said that the test is easy. I'll take that she comes from a heavily Masonic family as a good sign.

Cash cab is ok, but I prefer Taxi Cab Confessions. Those people see some weird stuff.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:25 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,322 times
I cast a spell with my last eye of newt and moulted silver fairy wings.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Aqualung, I don't know you in real life but I wish you the best of luck!! Having read your posts, you would make an awesome taxi driver. On our last trip we took a cab and tried to make small talk with the cabby. It was very awkward because he clearly was not interested in talking to the fare(s). I tipped him very well hoping to bring forth some comment, nothing. I think he will have a rough time on the taxi circuit. Maybe he was having a bad night (maybe we were obnoxious) Who knows? I think cabbies have to be prepared to "*** it up" .

Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Good luck on your test Aqua. I'm sure you will ace it. You will have to help people with their luggage, so alot of in and out of the cab. Good tips too.

Pommysmommy, you shouldn't have tipped the silent one too well. I don't know if I would have if he wouldn't have talked at all..but then again, maybe he wasn't fluent in english? I had a few before try to talk me up, but I couldn't understand anything they said. So all they got from me was 'no comprende.'

Old 07-11-2009, 08:23 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,154 times
Good luck Aqua. I think courteous, considerate, polite and leaving the impression you are considerate of their time and fare costs make a winner driver. Dealing with people will be the most difficult; all types, all kinds. If you're perceptive enough to glean they want to talk; entertain them. I certainly would not have tipped a driver who didn't talk when I wanted to, anything more than was necessary.
Pommysmommy, I thought you were coming in to look at houses? I would think you would have had a rental car, not a taxi? So, how did it go ???

Old 07-11-2009, 08:41 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post

Cash cab is ok, but I prefer Taxi Cab Confessions. Those people see some weird stuff.
Trust me here Aqua.....you will see things you NEVER imagined......I drove for 8 years and was STILLL amazed on the last day

Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,106 times
Thanks for all of the luck and well wishes, everyone. I'm a people person, and have been a "chatterbox" ever since I was a little kid. I enjoy talking to people from all walks of life. I've got over 12 years in the hotel biz, so it's pretty hard to surprise me. I'm looking forward to the wages and tips, since it'll help me move on, and get a new place to live, plus groceries and utilities. It's not easy to sleep when the house is 93+ at night. I spent the night at my sister's apartment last night, and they keep the place arctic! I had free tickets to see Pat Benatar last night at the House of Blues. Great show, but I was too tired to drive home after standing for four hours. Also, there was an incredible amount of female eye candy. It's at times like these that I wish that there was emoticon for drooling.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Good luck Aqua. I think courteous, considerate, polite and leaving the impression you are considerate of their time and fare costs make a winner driver. Dealing with people will be the most difficult; all types, all kinds. If you're perceptive enough to glean they want to talk; entertain them. I certainly would not have tipped a driver who didn't talk when I wanted to, anything more than was necessary.
Pommysmommy, I thought you were coming in to look at houses? I would think you would have had a rental car, not a taxi? So, how did it go ???
We took a cab from the hotel to Roy's on Flamingo. We did not look at houses because my brother in law did not want to drive. My husband and I flew into town, he drove to Vegas. My b in law is now backing out of his commitment to rent the property we buy. Grrrr We are back to square one. I think our best bet now is to consider a town home or condo in a pet friendly community. Any suggestions?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Good luck on your test Aqua. I'm sure you will ace it. You will have to help people with their luggage, so alot of in and out of the cab. Good tips too.

Pommysmommy, you shouldn't have tipped the silent one too well. I don't know if I would have if he wouldn't have talked at all..but then again, maybe he wasn't fluent in english? I had a few before try to talk me up, but I couldn't understand anything they said. So all they got from me was 'no comprende.'
The cabbie spoke English. Maybe we were just too chatty for him.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I'm going to be taking the Taxi Authority permit test in the morning, so all prayers, good wishes/karma, white light, and/or waving of rubber chickens is greatly appreiated. God willing I pass, I'll be hired as a driver for Ace Cabs, which is part of Frias Transportation. I'll keep you all informed as to what happens.

Does anyone have any experience with them, or advice in general? To say that I'm nervous is a gross understatement! ^_^;
Break a leg, kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas