Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 08:45 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,640,850 times

Advertisements

Thanks, gang. All locals be sure to stay off the sidewalks on 7/31. I start driving a cab that day.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,903,400 times
WooHoo! WTG, aqua!!!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 PM

990 posts, read 1,646,453 times
Good news. You will be great at the job aqua. Things are really turning around for you.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:13 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,875,358 times
how does the cab thing work? do you get paid hourly? daily?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,064,258 times
Fun day guys. Yet another demo that getting older is a bitch.

First visit was a follow up on a spinal shot. No good...but enough response that they thing one more try is in order. So one more try and then spine surgery.

But then off to a routine retinal scan. Driven by some minor irregularities.

Well two retinal tears. You know that bit about multiple opinions? And thinking about the way to proceed. The standard here is you may take two days to make up your mind but in the mean time your retina falls off and you go blind.

So we did the right thing and had our retinal tears whacked with the laser.

There are worse procedures...but this one is on the hard side. Thirty seconds before he finished I was considering whether I could jump from the gurney and throttle him before he did it again. He however knew this and kept up a steady chant of "breath deeply...look far up to the right...further"

About the time the desire to maim him became overpowering he announced he was done.

Anyway I can see about as good as I could before. I think the laser stuff was short lived I just had to outwait the dilation.

Going out in the morning and brutalize weeds until I feel more human.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,640,850 times
Good to hear that your eyes and back are doing well, Capt.

Driving a cab is a commission job. You get half the fare, minus a trip fee (around 20 cents, I think), minus your gas, which is deducted from your pay. They tax you at around 25 percent, so you don't have to report your tips, which you get daily. Paydays are every other week, and today was payday. After probation they pay in full for medical, and you only need to work 18 days month to keep it. A good driver can make up to $75k per year.

I'll let you know how it all works out. I hope that I'm able to get a good shift that pays well, but still gives me the time to do the things that I want to do.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:12 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,903,400 times
Glad all worked out for you, olecapt! Even through all the nasty pain of it all.

Sounds good, aqua, and if you make good money I think you will be able to find the time to do the things you want to do, no problem!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM

64 posts, read 333,719 times
Hey all,
Wanted to through a topic up for discussion on the general thread. Was heavily thinking about going to Vegas during Superbowl weekend next year 2010. I haven't heard much on many forums and I am trying to get some first hand information on the type of atmosphere during that time. Apparently a lot of people consider it like a 3-day long weekend but is the atmosphere like one? How busy is Vegas during the Superbowl? Would it be comparable to an actual 3-day long weekend (Memorial weekend, 4th of July weekend, Labor Day weekend). And does it have the traffic of families, drunken fat men or a spring break crowd with many hot women running around?

Your input is great to help me with my decision.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,234,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Fun day guys. Yet another demo that getting older is a bitch.

First visit was a follow up on a spinal shot. No good...but enough response that they thing one more try is in order. So one more try and then spine surgery.

But then off to a routine retinal scan. Driven by some minor irregularities.

Well two retinal tears. You know that bit about multiple opinions? And thinking about the way to proceed. The standard here is you may take two days to make up your mind but in the mean time your retina falls off and you go blind.

So we did the right thing and had our retinal tears whacked with the laser.

There are worse procedures...but this one is on the hard side. Thirty seconds before he finished I was considering whether I could jump from the gurney and throttle him before he did it again. He however knew this and kept up a steady chant of "breath deeply...look far up to the right...further"

About the time the desire to maim him became overpowering he announced he was done.

Anyway I can see about as good as I could before. I think the laser stuff was short lived I just had to outwait the dilation.

Going out in the morning and brutalize weeds until I feel more human.
Had retinal surgery about six years ago. He said laser surgery right now, and I said I want a second opinion. He said well do it fast or you'll go blind, so I went out and called my regular doc. He said do it ASAP, so I did. It wasn't so bad. It only took a few minutes and except for making me a little seasick it didn't hurt at all. What hurts is the exam sometimes when it feels like he's jamming that glass thingy into my skull, but the last two have been very easy and quick. I'm sure you know what I mean.

What's the spinal surgery about? I had a disk removed in '86. That surgery was the most painful thing I've ever done, and was in the hospital several days, and took a long time to recoup at home. Now it's so easy I don't think you even spend the night in the hospital. They sometimes do it by injecting an enzyme and no cuts. Or else they use a laser.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,234,388 times
Hey Aqua, check with JobConnect. I don't remember if cabbies qualify, but they should pay for the fingerprinting, and might pay for the training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas