Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 12:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

So you're saying that people in America don't have the right to protest? Really?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So you're saying that people in America don't have the right to protest? Really?
Newp. Didn't say that at all. Simply said if you live in the downtown area of Las Vegas, you knew what you were getting yourself into. The downtown has existed longer than any other area in LV, so it's not like it's NEW. It was there FIRST. Maybe the recent growth is new, but if you are too stupid to see that potential when you move in there well, then...that's your problem. That's like someone moving in next to an airport and complaining about flight noise or next to an elementary school and complaining about kids everywhere.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:48 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Newp. Didn't say that at all. Simply said if you live in the downtown area of Las Vegas, you knew what you were getting yourself into. The downtown has existed longer than any other area in LV, so it's not like it's NEW. It was there FIRST. Maybe the recent growth is new, but if you are too stupid to see that potential when you move in there well, then...that's your problem. That's like someone moving in next to an airport and complaining about flight noise or next to an elementary school and complaining about kids everywhere.
Not exactly. Downtown was stagnant for a very long time, and people got used to it. Change is always hard for people. I think it's a net positive, but I understand where these people are coming from.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Not exactly. Downtown was stagnant for a very long time, and people got used to it. Change is always hard for people. I think it's a net positive, but I understand where these people are coming from.
Anyone who moves to an area that is the downtown of any city or town and complains about noise is an idiot, stagnant or not. Move out to the outskirts or find a quiet suburb.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Anyone who moves to an area that is the downtown of any city or town and complains about noise is an idiot, stagnant or not. Move out to the outskirts or find a quiet suburb.
But not Manhattan in NYC! Bloomberg went on a campaign to make NYC the quietest big city in the country and he succeeded. Car alarms have been banned since 2004, even police sirens were silenced (except fire trucks and ambulances), no boom cars to be heard, city workers went around with decimeters to make sure you A/C unit wasn't delivering too many decibels, and I saw the signs in the residential neighborhoods on my last visit: $350 fine for honking your horn!

Moving to the suburbs or outskirts is no guarantee of absence of noise.

I had 15 acres 80 miles north of Minneapolis near a popular canoeing river, next to a state forest. All summer long the other weekenders were target shooting for the upcoming deer season, winter time they buzzed around on the snowmobile paths, canoers would set up their tents on an island near my place, with boomboxes, and there was the noises of nature, dirt bikers. It was far more quiet when I returned to my condo loft in the Elliot Park area in downtown Minneapolis on Sunday nites.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But not Manhattan in NYC! Bloomberg went on a campaign to make NYC the quietest big city in the country and he succeeded. Car alarms have been banned since 2004, even police sirens were silenced (except fire trucks and ambulances), no boom cars to be heard, city workers went around with decimeters to make sure you A/C unit wasn't delivering too many decibels, and I saw the signs in the residential neighborhoods on my last visit: $350 fine for honking your horn!

Moving to the suburbs or outskirts is no guarantee of absence of noise.

I had 15 acres 80 miles north of Minneapolis near a popular canoeing river, next to a state forest. All summer long the other weekenders were target shooting for the upcoming deer season, winter time they buzzed around on the snowmobile paths, canoers would set up their tents on an island near my place, with boomboxes, and there was the noises of nature, dirt bikers. It was far more quiet when I returned to my condo loft in the Elliot Park area in downtown Minneapolis on Sunday nites.
:::shrug:::

The closer in the city you live, with more population density, the louder it is going to be, regardless of what laws are passed. More people = noisier. Less people (such as outskirts/suburbs) where there are fewer people, more space between houses, etc = less noisy. it's just the way it is. Plus apartment living is never quiet no matter where you live

Old 08-04-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Did they move there, or had they lived there for decades because it was all they could afford?

Old 08-05-2017, 06:02 AM

I had such a fun conversation with an IT guy out of Virginia yesterday. He was talking about the black hat and Defcon conventions. They get up to some pretty naughty stuff at those things apparently, and I'm not talking about jaunts to strip clubs. This year the project was to hack a voter machine. They got that out of the way in short order.
He had other fun things to say about the convention. Interesting conversation. We, in Las Vegas, live in such an interesting place. Never a dull moment.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:40 AM

Never a dull moment for Marcus Hutchins that's for sure.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...-in-las-vegas/

Old 08-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Went to Ballys last night and saw The Bronx Wanderers. That is a really good show! Came home hoarse from singing. Highly recommended. We are probably going to go again (House Seats BTW).

Ate at Giordano's Pizza. Everyone else at the table was raving about it. Me? Meh. No flavor. Even the pepper flakes. I put some on a slice and couldn't tell they were there. So I dumped some in my palm and licked them off. Nothing. Who makes pepper flakes that aren't hot? WTH? $36.00 for a blah pizza. No thanks.

I think Rosati's is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas