Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I don't regret giving her some money even if there was only a 50/50 chance that she really needed it. If I was out to scam someone I would appear dirty and dishelved. She and her children were well groomed and she seemed mortified to be on that bridge with a sign asking for help.
No lose situation, if she scamed you -so what, just out a few bucks.

If you helped a truly needy person ,thats what we're here for.

Either way, God is pleased with you !

Old 11-08-2009, 06:24 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
If you want to give, then give.. it doesn't matter if they are legit or not. If you feel in your heart that you have given to someone who needs it, then give it without without thinking about "was I scammed or not". If they scam you, then that is on them. I usually do not give money, but Ill buy someone food or give them food. I once gave a homeless man the jacket off my back since he was cold and wet (this was in SF bay area).
I agree. Back when I lived on Flamingo, there was always a group of homeless people hanging out in that field off off Flamingo and Koval. They were always thrilled when they saw me walking to the strip. I would buy each one of them a cheap beer. They were happy, and it only cost me $5 a week. As far as I am concerned, $5 is nothing to me, but a lot to them so that is why I did it.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:30 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Generous! Actually Vegas homeless don't seem too bad.

I lived in San Francisco for a year, and the homeless were too aggressive there - give $1 to someone, and they'll quickly ask you for $2. Give them a cheeseburger from the fastfood restaurant, and they'll quickly demand money instead, etc.

Vegas sounds much better.

Personally I've seen way too many scams. Saw one in Minneapolis, a woman crying and lost in downtown Minneapolis. I gave her bus fare money. The next week I went to the same location, saw her with tears in the eyes again and going up to a new person, same exact line.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
In these tough economic times I think we should all be thankful for what we do have and be willing to help out when we can. LVD I commend you for helping out when you live on such a tight budget.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
In these tough economic times I think we should all be thankful for what we do have and be willing to help out when we can. LVD I commend you for helping out when you live on such a tight budget.
Thanks

Old 11-08-2009, 07:46 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I agree. Back when I lived on Flamingo, there was always a group of homeless people hanging out in that field off off Flamingo and Koval. They were always thrilled when they saw me walking to the strip. I would buy each one of them a cheap beer. They were happy, and it only cost me $5 a week. As far as I am concerned, $5 is nothing to me, but a lot to them so that is why I did it.
Yep, I use to buy those guys the 99C bottles of Magnum from the AM/PM @ Flamingo and Koval twice a week catching the bus home from work. They were always cool with me on the days I did not buy and would offer a toke off their joint or some of that rot gut Magnum.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:55 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Generous! Actually Vegas homeless don't seem too bad.

I lived in San Francisco for a year, and the homeless were too aggressive there - give $1 to someone, and they'll quickly ask you for $2. Give them a cheeseburger from the fastfood restaurant, and they'll quickly demand money instead, etc.

Vegas sounds much better.

Personally I've seen way too many scams. Saw one in Minneapolis, a woman crying and lost in downtown Minneapolis. I gave her bus fare money. The next week I went to the same location, saw her with tears in the eyes again and going up to a new person, same exact line.
I'd rather get scammed 10 times than pass by a soul in need.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
sorry, but i bet she scammed you... these guys at the intersections make 50-60k a year..
50-60k???????? Which intersection???????

It's beyond sad. This is the new America.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:13 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
I'd rather get scammed 10 times than pass by a soul in need.
Amen.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
This was a first for me and it was disturbing. She was not dressed in rags and did not look like an alcoholic or drug addict. The children looked clean and were dressed decently as well. I asked her about her situation and she told me that they were staying in a shelter temporarily and waiting for assistance for housing. This was beyond sad to me but my husband, always a cynic, said she scammed me. I don't think so. I think this is the new face of homelessness.
What was she needing the money for? She has lodging accommodations which, undoubtedly provide some kind of meal for her and the kids. They obviously have clothing and a place to sleep, bathe. So I am not clear as to her reason for begging.

Normally, if someone asks, I will not give them any money. However, I have occasionally seen someone on the street (usually an older homeless man who looks rough), and asked him if he could use some money. I once gave a man rummaging through the dumpsters on Thanksgiving a $10 bill. He did not even say thank you, but I think it was more of an issue of pride, or maybe he was just struck speechless. I know he appreciated it. I did not do it to hear a thank you.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas