Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 11:59 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Aqua...there's a guy known as RobinHood702 that plays blackjack to help others crushed in this economy. You might want to give him a try...

'Robin Hood' Gambler Planning Next Score in Las Vegas - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
Contrary to the marketing image of this town, Robin Hood 702 is another reason Las Vegas is still TBCOTA.

FYI, my late friend Forrest Duke labeled Las Vegas, “The Best City of Them All ─ TBCOTA”. Forest wrote a daily entertainment column for the Las Vegas Review Journal, and a weekly Las Vegas column for Weekly Variety, the national show biz magazine. Forest also hosted a talk show on Channel 3 where I was Production Manager, so I directed his show for many years. Through my job at the station, I was fortunate to meet most of the stars that worked all the many showrooms in town. But I believe it was probably through Forest that I met most of them. They all respected and befriended him because he never had a bad thing to say about anyone, either in print, or in his personal life. He always said that his mother had taught him, “If you can’t say something good about someone, don’t say anything at all.” And he actually lived that philosophy. Forest had come to Las Vegas several years before I got here in 1964, and was quickly “adopted” by the actress Grace Hayes, mother of actor Peter Lind Hayes, and mother–in-law of actress Mary Healy. Grace encouraged Forest to write, and introduced him to the show business life on the Strip, so he became an entertainment “critic”, although he never criticized. I always had the feeling that even after all his years as a writer and TV host, in the most exciting city in the world, that having the biggest stars on the planet seek him out and want to be on his show, or mentioned in his column, Forest was forever in awe of Las Vegas, and the entertainers that come here. He never let his own position go to his head. When the biggest stars in the country put together a fund raiser for him as he was dying from cancer, I know he was still in awe of TBCOTA.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:02 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Forrest was a 'class act'

Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times
The razor's has got even thinner. I need to come up with the balance of my rent and penalties by the 31st, or they'll start the eviction proceedings. It doesn't help matters that I got suspended for low sales today, termination subject to "human" resources review. I had to turn in my headset and time card. A coworker/friend who rides with me quit. We're getting the worst leads, but we're still expected to sell like we've got the best leads. Sigh... I've already applied at two places since leaving there earlier today, and I'm going to stop at one more place before I go home.

After all that's happened to me, I have just one question...

My God, my God! Why have thou forsaken me?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
The razor's has got even thinner. I need to come up with the balance of my rent and penalties by the 31st, or they'll start the eviction proceedings. It doesn't help matters that I got suspended for low sales today, termination subject to "human" resources review. I had to turn in my headset and time card. A coworker/friend who rides with me quit. We're getting the worst leads, but we're still expected to sell like we've got the best leads. Sigh... I've already applied at two places since leaving there earlier today, and I'm going to stop at one more place before I go home.

After all that's happened to me, I have just one question...

My God, my God! Why have thou forsaken me?
Sorry to hear that. However, what happened with the $400 social services is supposed to give you?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:15 PM

The roomie is working on getting that, I am/was making too much to get it, possibly to much to get my medical renewed. On my way home I've put in for two jobs, and I just picked up an application for Hollywood Video. They're not hiring, but I'll still turn it in. I'd love to go back to driving a cab, or maybe a limo, if I could.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 AM

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Stupid me, I gypsy cabbed for a friend of the roomie again today. I ran him and his buddy yesterday, with promise of money. He didn't have it then, but he'd pay me today. He didn't have it this morning. He had me take him back out there tonight, and told me he'd right back with money. An hour later, still no Temper (his nickname). I sent him several text messages, and called his cell phone twice. Nothing. I took off, very pissed. Roomie thinks I should cut him slack, but I think that since he screwed me over, he's persona non grata.

Am I wrong in this?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Stupid me, I gypsy cabbed for a friend of the roomie again today. I ran him and his buddy yesterday, with promise of money. He didn't have it then, but he'd pay me today. He didn't have it this morning. He had me take him back out there tonight, and told me he'd right back with money. An hour later, still no Temper (his nickname). I sent him several text messages, and called his cell phone twice. Nothing. I took off, very pissed. Roomie thinks I should cut him slack, but I think that since he screwed me over, he's persona non grata.

Am I wrong in this?
Anymore, I do not know what to tell you. However, I do know what you are going through. Both of my parents are deceased, and I am ten years younger than you. My mother was my best friend, and she always helped me out when I was in a bind. She passed away in November of 2005 of cervical cancer at only 52 years old. I am crying as I write this, so bear with me. I got $15,000 when she died, and I blew it here in Vegas myself. What changed is I knew she was no longer here to help me, so I pushed myself harder not to wind up homeless again. I was right where you are now back in March of 2007. I had $100 to my name, and I was only making $240 a month (not a typo.) I busted my ass everyday looking for more work. I managed to get full time work at my employer since someone had just quit. My point is I knew there are no handouts anymore, so I chose to live life a little differently from then on. This is the reason I live cheaply, and put a lot into savings each month. I never used to do this. My best advice right now is to get away from that roommate, and move out of that apartment. You need to cut your living expenses pronto. You need to rent a cheap room like I do. If I cannot afford my own place, you definitely can't either. If you have to, you have to let that person in Pahrump take care of your dogs. It is not going to do you or the dogs to be stuck living in a broken down Grand Am in the near future. You're in a downward spiral, and unless you act right now, you are going to be sucked all the way down in it. I see it, so please listen to me. IF you need any help or advice, feel free to dm me at any time.

God Bless you,

LVD

Old 12-29-2009, 10:43 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
LVD...you're my hero. I find myself rooting for you at every post. Truly inspirational.

Last edited by jfkIII; 12-29-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 10:45 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,805 times
Aqua, you also have to start making "better choices." You are not a victim. A victim is someone who has an incurable disease or who was robbed blind and has nothing left or someone who was hit by a drunk driver on the way home from work and now lays paralyzed. You choose how you were going to spend the windfall you came into recently, you choose to rent and furnish the apartment you rented, you choose the truck you purchased, you choose the jobs you took. Then you choose to let this roomie live with you and in spite of him not paying the rent, you refuse to show him to the door. Step back and think about this. Start making some wise choices. If I didn't care about you as another human being, I wouldn't even take the time to write.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
LVD...you're my hero. I find myself routing for you at every post. Truly inspirational.
Thanks

Truthfully, I have had WAY too many drinks this morning, but so be it. The truth does come out when you drink. I hope Aqua can take my life experience and apply it to his. I am only trying to save him before it is too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas