Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times

Advertisements

And if you are full time, just wait until you're a few months away from your "fully vested" status. That's when things really start to get scary.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
nope, shes part time.. originally getting 32-38hrs, now getting 20-25

Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Nevada is a right to work state so it is fully legal. That still doesn't make it right.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Losing out on a $300 bonus is why she quits a job like this? Really? Come on, its lame and I'd let them know I wasn't happy with it, but surely if one were to quit there has to be a better reason than an expected bonus getting cut. That happens all the time these days.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Yes, it is practically their policy. I have a relative that works there as well and she was assigned to part time and works 5-7 days a week. Her pay check is also wrong almost every time too (short changed) and they owe her hundreds in back pay for missed overtime. I doubt it was truly the vision of Sam Walton when he began the company but alas, $ is the new religion and people are willing to do anything to get it. Here's an interesting video for anyone with a few minutes http://www.lilithgallery.com/music/W...Sweatshops.wmv

I hate Walmart, but to be honest I have to say this is the policy of almost every retail organization in the country these days. (They all defend themselves by claiming they're competing with Walmart.) I've worked at several upscale department stores and they all pile the hours on their sales staff, up to the limit at which they'd have to pay benefits. Every mall store I know about, too.

Then there are the stores that pay commission-only. That used to be lucrative for someone who knew the inventory and how to sell, but not so much lately. Nobody's buyin' nothin'. You can NEVER depend on how much you'll make (if anything), so it pretty much requires that you live with someone who has some steady income. Supermarket folks are about the only ones making a living wage in retail these days and that will go by the wayside, too, as soon as owners are able to break the unions at the national chains.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Something sounds fishy. If it were true why would they tell the employees the manager's new office is more important than their bonuses? Nobody is that stupid ...are they? Sounds like an employee rumor. Why would she quit over it anyway, with jobs so hard to come by. She couldn't even collect unemployment if she quits. It's a gift no matter how much it is and they don't have to give you anything beyond the hourly wage. Take it and be glad she has a job. And keep in mind, it is easier to find another job while you have one. Finding a job while unemployed is much more difficult. What do you tell the next employer? I quit because I didn't like the bonus they gave me. You know what that employer will say? We don't want anyone with an attitude like that, so don't call us, we'll call you.

Working at the Unemployment Office, I saw people being mis-advised by friends and relatives on a daily basis. The advise was always well meaning and given with the intention of protecting their loved ones. It was also ALWAYS the wrong advise. You gotta let people make their own decisions. Even your wife. If you love her you'll butt out. Just my two cents.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 AM

52 posts, read 90,379 times
spend a day or two together talking about pros/cons carefully of major decisions like quitting/resigning a job, don't do such an evaluation when you're very emotional...it's quite natural to be very emotional about this unfortunate news concerning your wife's money but time naturally eases those strong emotions and then would be a good timing to use the higher brain functions to assess the situation.....

good luck in your decision, and yes it is legal (and like somebody else mentioned, it doesn't make it right....but then again we live in a highly "legal" society nowadays and humane treatment/considerations may seem like a dying trait)

Old 09-02-2010, 03:11 AM

328 posts, read 726,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Wallymart also make it a practice of not hiring fulltime 40 hour a week workers so they can avoid paying health care and benefits? In my old neighborhood, I had a neighbor that worked there and she was of course, part-time. She told me most of the employees are. Then I noticed what they would do to her is add more and more hours onto her twenty every week. They would get her right up there working close to 40, but never 40, all the while telling her what a good employee she was and pumping her up verbally. I refuse to shop in there because of their labor practices. If they have to make money by exploiting their employees, I don't want to contribute to it. I don't think it is necessary to be union to treat your employees with some value.
In Illinois it was no more than 33 hours. Anything over that they had to pay for Health benefits. They kept me right at 33 hours. No more or no less.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 AM

515 posts, read 1,179,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Nevada is a right to work state so it is fully legal.
"Right to work" doesn't mean what you think it means.
Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-02-2010, 07:46 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,947 times
I know you all hate tourists, but I land in Vegas tonight! I am so giddy, gonna be so hard sitting through work today. eeeeeeeee...I just had to share with someone out here (We got 8 of us, staying in Paris)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas