Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times

Advertisements

This is just my opinion of course but you are going to be more of a danger driving in withdrawal than medicated. Those drugs make people who don't drink drowsy. But your nerves are going to be shot and need something to quiet them so you can focus. If you start to vomit it could become a medical emergency. Be careful.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
LVD - you have to give it a try...no other real choice. And note that you are quite young for a liver problem...they have no real idea how much you will snap back if you can get off the stuff.

Watch yourself tonight. If you need a cab take it. I will subsidize your budget. If you start to seize call 911 and get to the emergency room. YOu can die tonight if you don't keep your wits about you. It is a very dangerous time.

But if you can survive a week and don't fall off...you might have a small chance to make it.

We need you to make it LVD...go for it.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
LVD hang in there, you would be surprised what the body can recover from.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Pulling for you, LVD. I hope you can fight this.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
LVD - you have to give it a try...no other real choice. And note that you are quite young for a liver problem...they have no real idea how much you will snap back if you can get off the stuff.

Watch yourself tonight. If you need a cab take it.
Thanks everyone for the continued support. A couple thing to address. I am dead sober and not on any medication so I am ok to drive to work. As far as the liver problem at my age, it does happen. This guy in the link below me IS me. I watched this on the A and E show intervention and I never forgot it since it hit so close to home. Some of you may have know him personally as he owned the Neon Sun tanning salons in Las Vegas.

"59 10 "Lawrence" Drug abuse, alcohol abuse March 17, 2008 (2008-03-17) Having graduated high school with academic and athletic honors, Lawrence, 34, became a successful owner of a chain of tanning salons in Las Vegas in the early 1990s....but he was never able to dull the pain of emotional and physical abuse suffered in childhood at the hands of a brutal father figure. In his early twenties, Lawrence gained formal custody of his two younger siblings in an attempt to remove them from a home environment full of unhealthy abusive dynamics. However, Lawrence could never conquer his own demons brought out by the brutality and he began consuming GHB for both its muscle-building and mind-relaxing properties. When GHB was taken off the market, Lawrence looked for a substitute for GHB's calming effects and turned to alcohol. Addicted within weeks, the alcohol abuse left Lawrence a shell of his former self as he frequently consumed over a liter of vodka a day in large 32-ounce mugs. A recent battle with testicular cancer has left him further weakened; Lawrence had surgery to remove the cancer, but never underwent any follow-up treatment, despite his family's pleas to see an oncologist or a urologist to ensure the cancer has not returned. Lawrence's body is covered with deep purple bruises in random spots, a sign of low blood clotting factors indicating impending liver failure. Lawrence's denial of his deteriorating health and his accelerating drinking problem is so strong that at one point he openly denies having had anything to drink while holding a plastic mug full of straight vodka, in an apartment where the garbage cans are full of empty vodka bottles. Lawrence's loved ones bring in Jeff VanVonderen for an intervention in the hope that this show of love and support will help Lawrence get the help he needs and that by sharing his story he might help others.

Epilogue: After 30 days in treatment, Lawrence was asked to leave for refusing to focus on his recovery. He returned to Las Vegas and relapsed after three weeks of sobriety. On February 23rd, 2008, he died as a result of complications stemming from cirrhosis of the liver. He is the first Intervention profiled addict to die post-intervention. "

List of Intervention episodes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reality Show Death Spotlights Cirrhosis Risk - ABC News

Old 09-07-2010, 11:14 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Sad. But I bet you can find many success stories too. Try to stay positive, I realize it is difficult to do this at this point, but the light at the end of the tunnel does not have to be your maker calling you home.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
You can make it thru this, LVD. You've made it thru rougher things, so you can do this as well. I'll be praying for you.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:53 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
If it were me, and I was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, after 40+ years of addictive smoking, I'd keep quiet. But that's just me. I'd be afraid I'd get an avalanche of sympathetic postings saying things like: You knew the risks of smoking for years and you kept on smoking! Am I suppose to commisserate with you?

If it should happen, I'll go quietly, without saying anything. Days before my end you may get a posting from me, saying: I'm off to the Hoover Dam today, beautiful day! Really looking forward to it!

With a gun in hand.

LVD: I sympathize with you, truly.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If it were me, and I was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, after 40+ years of addictive smoking, I'd keep quiet. But that's just me. I'd be afraid I'd get an avalanche of sympathetic postings saying things like: You knew the risks of smoking for years and you kept on smoking! Am I suppose to commisserate with you?

If it should happen, I'll go quietly, without saying anything. Days before my end you may get a posting from me, saying: I'm off to the Hoover Dam today, beautiful day! Really looking forward to it!

With a gun in hand.

LVD: I sympathize with you, truly.
Yeah, I do not know. I was never a typical alcoholic. Half the time I hated to drink. My problem was I never had health insurance (I still don't). I got sick about 6 years ago. Before then, I only drank on the weekends. Now, it is constant as in as soon as I wake up. The alcohol masked the symptoms but in turn has destroyed my liver. My doctor also said I have really high cholesterol and triglycerides. I am in bad shape all the way around. As bad as my health is now, I highly doubt I be around more than a year from now.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Even though you are a royal pain in many ways LVD, I am sorry to hear about your health problems.
You can beat this, just make your mind up about it. Do not make any excuses as to why you cannot. Just do it! If you want to live and live better than ever before, you will change your habits and try some new things.
I will pm you about something that helps in healing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, your firstborn, second born and all your future pets in your next life. You just have to agree to try something new, quit beating yourself up about it all, and believe you can change. Many people have. You are way too young to die at your age. How do you know death will be any better? You won't know until you get there and then it will be too late to pm someone about it.

Don't start the "i'm feeling sorry for myself routine again so i may as well drink to numb the pain which will make me feel worse and die sooner." I do get the feeling you do not want help, you just want us all to know what is going on. We all have to find our path in life, do our own thing, march to our own drummer. If that is how you want it, then please do not keep posting in here making it sound like its someone else's fault, when it's all about your own choices.
You should really try Alcoholics Anonymous. They pair you with someone or two to help you get through this. You can call them when you feel weak and may give in to drinking. The buddy system is a good thing. Make it through a week, then 2, then 3, then a month, 2, 3. Soon it's a year, and you are still here bugging everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas